DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 Back Focus (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/32900-xl2-back-focus.html)

David Stollak October 3rd, 2004 10:53 AM

XL2 Back Focus

Hi All,

Just got my new XL2.
I am noticing a back focus problem with the 20X lens and 3X lens.
I taped a newspaper headline accross the room.
I zoom in and focus. When I go wide, its soft and have to rack it into focus. With both lens.
Is there an adjustment on the lens that I dont know about?
Or is it done in camera?
Or is it adjusted by Canon?
Thanks in advance for your help

David

Rob Lohman October 3rd, 2004 10:59 AM

Backfocus is not consumer adjustable on those lenses. If it really
is a back focus issue they will need to go to Canon. I would
include the camera as well so they can see/test it.

David Stollak October 3rd, 2004 11:16 AM

Is the adjustment done on the lens or on the camera ?

Jeff Donald October 3rd, 2004 11:22 AM

The adjustment is done on the lens. But for maximum compatibility it is best to send in the camera and any additional lenses for the camera at the same time.

David Stollak October 3rd, 2004 11:25 AM

Thanks so much!

Don Palomaki October 4th, 2004 03:48 AM

Can't speak to the XL2, but with the XL1 andn auto lens, back focus adjustment is set electronically with values that are progammed into the body's memory. Thus a back focus issue could be caused by an error/problem in the camcorder with the stored value, the CCD-to-mount distance, the temperature compensation values, or the lens being out of spec.

Thus it is best to return both to have it resolved, and it is always good to send Canon service a complete description of the problem, along with a tape showing the problem

David Stollak October 4th, 2004 04:39 PM

Thanks again!

Alfredo Castil October 7th, 2004 01:54 PM

I just got my XL2 and the first test I did was the backfocus, I had no troubles. Thanks to all of you to address this problem and hopefully it was fixed in subsequent batches of the XL2

Rob Lohman October 10th, 2004 06:54 AM

Alfredo: it is not a "bug" in the system or something. Backfocus
can change due to certain elements like heat/cold etc. and might
require some re-calibration after a while.

David Stollak October 23rd, 2004 04:44 PM

Well,

I returned the XL2 and got a new one.
I still have the back focus problem with the 3X lens (manual focus).
I called Canon and they said to send them the camera and the lens, which I did.
They returned it to me saying "Checked back focus on 3X lens,
compared to factory3X, no difference found".

There is a definite problem with manual focus.
Obviously the camera is flawed.

Chris Hurd October 23rd, 2004 04:48 PM

Your best bet David is to return the camera and get your money back while you still can. Sounds like you still have a window of opportunity with your dealer there.

Dave Speace October 26th, 2004 10:16 AM

back focus

Just wanted to say and/or ask if you are focusing by zooming in all the way and pushing the button to focus and then zooming out to check the back focus...? If you are focusing using the focusing ring and then zooming out... it will go soft. Remember to focus using the button! Hope this helps.

tx, Dave

David Stollak October 26th, 2004 01:23 PM

Dave,

Thanks for your input,

I am zooming in and focusing using the focus ring, then zooming out. By using the button, are you refering to the AF button on the lens?

Doesn't that defeat the manual focus aspect?

David

Dave Speace October 26th, 2004 04:56 PM

xl2 focusing

Yes... use the button to focus with and see if the camera stays in focus when you zoom out!

Dave

Don Palomaki October 26th, 2004 05:58 PM

Try put up a resolution chart to check backfocus. If back focus is OK, the number of lines you can resolve in a picture width should remain about the same regardless of zoom setting. With the 3x telephoto, you may be able to resolve 1" lines at a given distance when at full xzoom. At full wide the lines would have to be 3" wide to appear equally as sharp.