DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 pricing concerns (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/33390-xl2-pricing-concerns.html)

Chris Hurd July 21st, 2004 06:09 PM

XL2 brochure available for download

Fetch a PDF copy of the XL2 brochure from this link at Canon USA:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/pd...2_brochure.pdf (size is about 3.8 mb)

Or see the download library at this link.

Chris L. Gray July 22nd, 2004 11:00 AM

Thanks.. excitement!

Thanks for the link, this is helpful.

I've been reading the site for only the last week or so. It has been helpful during my time of duress. I've been flipping back and forth between wanting a JVC JY HD10 to a Panasonice AG-DVX100A to the Canon XL2.

I'll eventually be making a huge step up from a kiddie JVC GR-D30 and realize how expensive and important of an investment that this will be.

I saw clips that someone posted from the XL2 and have been elated ever since, but who can give birth to that $5,000 price tag? Phew.

Unlike composing music, it's much more challenging having to reshoot video because of the poor quality first efforts. This is the reason why I've shot very little material with my baby JVC because I fear that it'll come back to haunt me.

I hunger to begin shooting short and feature film ideas that I have and this seems like the camera that will let me exhale and express.

Any suggestions about how I could light outdoor night time city streets shots without having to lug around truckload of lights?

Thanks!

George Zabetas July 22nd, 2004 11:15 PM

Hi Chris,
Another Chicagoan. I also share your dilemma on the price tag. I am a Canon fan (have had the Elura2 for over 3 years) but I don't think I can justify that price. In my mind I have fallen back to the DVX100A for 2Gs less or even the vx2100 for 3Gs less.

As far as night time shoots, it depends on the location. In my apartment complex they have these great sidewalk lamps they installed with white round fluorescent lamps. I move my subjects near there, or under one of the orange parking sodium vapor lights.
I don't think, even if I had all the lights and generators, that I would have the patience to go thru the set up outdoors at night.
Are you part of the IFP in the city?
cheers

Chris L. Gray July 23rd, 2004 01:53 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by George Zabetas : Hi Chris,
Another Chicagoan. I also share your dilemma on the price tag. I am a Canon fan (have had the Elura2 for over 3 years) but I don't think I can justify that price. In my mind I have fallen back to the DVX100A for 2Gs less or even the vx2100 for 3Gs less.

Are you part of the IFP in the city?
cheers -->>>

Hi George and thanks for your reply.

I am primarily a musical artist/record label type, so I'm brand new at this really. What's IFP? Is that the group that has film short competitions in the city?

I have so many notes on the DVX100A and was set to go in that direction until I got wind of the XL2 and saw the clips. My concern with the Panasonic is that you'd have to buy the anamorphic adapter in order to avoid a huge resolution loss. So add an additional $800 on top of the price and you're not *that* far away from the XL2 which shoots natively and has interchangable lenses.

I was drooling over the JV JY-HD10's HD and other features a few months ago, but it also is faux 16:9.

What kind of material do you work on? Also, will you go see the comedy short film fest tonight at the Biograph? (7/23/04 8pm and 10pm shows).

Stephanie Wier from MadTv will open the 8pm show and intro her own film short.

Richard Alvarez July 23rd, 2004 04:52 PM

Chris.
Start shooting shorts now. Every minute you spend with your camera now, will save you time and effort later. Cheaper to make mistakes with the camera you have.

George Zabetas July 23rd, 2004 07:29 PM

Hi Chris,
Didn't hear about the short films at the Biograph. A very good friend of mine owns the restaurant next door to the Biograph.
The IFP is the Independent Feature Project and it has a chapter in Chicago with meetings and seminars and such. Good to network with other indies.
With the Pana I hear that the stretch is not that bad, but I hear you. The XL2 will have that extra resolution. I was thinking of the PAL which is even more so.
As far as lighting night exteriors, maybe those worklight halogens with some really long extension cables. (they are like 30 bucks at ACE or Home Depot). How about your car lights pointing at your subject. Maybe a low-light camera like the VX2100 would be best, then you don't need much light.
good luck

Yi Fong Yu July 23rd, 2004 10:43 PM

can't remember film history but is this th same Biograph where DW Griffith used to work or is it just a name based on that old studio?

George Zabetas July 23rd, 2004 11:13 PM

Don't know about DW Griffith, may be borrowed from there.
It's a movie theatre in Chicago. Dillinger was shot right in front of it. If you ever saw "High Fidelity" with John Cusack he walks across the street from there (telling you the bit about Dillinger) and enters the Lounge Axe. That bar is no more these days as it became another ...bar. But it also has history for the city. Many bands played there in the 80's and 90's. In the movie Lisa Bonet is singing some Peter Frampton song. End of an era.

Jay Gladwell July 24th, 2004 05:13 AM

The original Biograph was in New York. They also made films in California.

Jay

Chris L. Gray July 24th, 2004 10:48 AM

Went to Biograph, now packing my JVC mini

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Alvarez : Chris.
Start shooting shorts now. Every minute you spend with your camera now, will save you time and effort later. Cheaper to make mistakes with the camera you have. -->>>

It's funny that after packing my cam just now, I log in and see your post of encouragemant. :)

I already had plans to go check out a neighborhood festival today and thought, what the heck, might as well pack the cam and take some highlight shots for fun.

I am still writhing regarding picking between the panasonic and the xl2.. I have the cash for the XL2, but that's a *lot* of cash to to spend on a cam that will be on the Chicago streets. :)

George, the comedy shorts film festival was hilarious. I was very close to punting it and staying on my sofa, but was definitely glad I went. Stephanie Wier's short was cool but there were also some very good ones by locals.

While some had poor quality video, it reinforced my belief in that the story and acting comes first, maybe a few hairs before the cinematography.

Thanks for all of your input guys.