DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Problems with XL2 and FCP?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/35084-problems-xl2-fcp.html)

Kevin Storm Jorgensen November 17th, 2004 12:41 AM

Problems with XL2 and FCP??

My new XL2 won't connect to my new Mac G5 with FCP. It freezes up and then crashes whenever I connect it. I have connected my XL1s and it works great with FCP but not the XL2. Anyone else have similar problems? What can be done?

Thanks,
Kevin

Oliver Power November 17th, 2004 02:07 AM

Could this be tied to the new XL2 "Ext" setting on main dial? I think this is only for use when receiving camera settings data from another XL2 though. One thing I think I saw in the XL2 seminar I went to, was that buried in the camera menu somewhere is a Firewire output setting. Might want to check that.

As for FCP (more my area of expertise), have done all the usual basic things?

- delete FCP Preferences
- delete FCP POA cache (or something that looks like this, can't remember off the top of my head)
- run only 10.3.5
- fix permissions with disk utility

good luck!

Oliver

Douglas Robbins November 17th, 2004 03:57 AM

You mean run only 10.3.4.

10.3.5 crashes FCP pretty good. Reports on 10.3.6 have been mixed. Too early to tell.

Also make sure capture is set to Firewire Basic not Firewire NTSC.

Douglas

Kevin Storm Jorgensen November 17th, 2004 12:09 PM

I'm using 10.3.6 and there isn't a Firewire Basic option, just NTSC Firewire Basic. Did you mean that? I have the camera set on the VCR mode.

Here is something: It crashes whenever I have the camera plugged into the system, even on startup before I run FCP. I don't even have a chance to select the type of footage, 24p, 60i. If I let my computer startup and run FCP, then plug the camera in, it crashes when I initialize the connection.

Douglas Robbins November 17th, 2004 12:54 PM

Yes, I meant NTSC Firewire Basic. But it is apparent that the real issue is not FCP per se but some problem your mac is having with the camera. I suspect a firewire port issue. Try Oliver's Firewire output setting adjustment idea. If that doesn't work, try the following troubleshooting remedies in this order, from easy to more difficult.

1. Trash FCP preferences and finder preferences (found in Home > Library > Preferences).
2. Repair permissions using Disk Utility found in the utility folder of your applications folder.
3. Unplug third party devices.
4. Boot from your system disk and from there choose Disk Utility from the menu (do not reinstall the system; at least not yet) and check and repair your boot drive with Disk First Aid.
5. If Disc First Aid can't handle the problem buy Disk Warrior. Do not buy Norton. Norton will only screw up OS X.

Did this work?

If not then try some more heavy duty troubleshooting.

1. Run the hardware test found in your system disc by disconnecting external devices, cards and cables, except mouse and keyboard, boot from system disk, and select Apple Hardware Test. The Test takes a very long time. Expect the test to take up to two hours.

2. Hardware ok? Then reinstall the system. Only upgrade to 10.3.4, the last known and proven solid OS (10.3.5 is a mess for FCP, and 10.3.6 is too new)

This should keep you busy for a while. Let me know if you are not sure how to perform any of these procedures.

Douglas

Kevin Storm Jorgensen November 17th, 2004 01:09 PM

I'll try all that, thanks. But do you think it could be a problem with the XL2? My XL1s works fine, it's just the XL2 that is having problems.

A. J. deLange November 17th, 2004 01:36 PM

I'm using an XL2 with a dual G5 without problems but I don't capture in FCP but rather use BTV Pro for that job. It divides an hour tape up into (6) 2.1GB files (a pair of which fit nicely onto a a DVD ROM) and is handy for browsing captured data. No loggin of clips is necessary and it will continue to capture as long as there is video (i.e. no "capture now" limit as with FCP). As I recall it was relatively inexpensive.

Douglas Robbins November 17th, 2004 01:37 PM

Others have been able to capture from the XL2 to FCP without incident. Take a look at Apple.com discussion board on FCP and you will see many people capturing successfully with the XL2. That said, it's not impossible that there's something broken in the XL2. But before jumping to those sorts of conclusions try troubleshooting first.

Douglas

Kevin Storm Jorgensen November 22nd, 2004 01:53 PM

Okay, the situation so far. I tried everything y'all suggested and nothing seemed to work. I took my camera into the local apple store and tried it out there and it worked fine so it is something definately wrong with my computer, or more specifically the front firewire port. Perhaps I should have tried this earlier but it didn't occur to me that it could just be that firewire port so I plugged my camera into the back firewire and it worked fine there. So I guess I just have a faulty front firewire port, which seems odd because my XL1s still works fine on the front firewire port. Oh well...I'm gonna take my computer in for repairs since it is still under warranty and hopefully that will solve everything. Thanks for your input everyone.

Ian Corey January 18th, 2005 02:23 PM

Last night I did an install of 10.3.2 from the disk without unplugging my ext firewire drives first.
I don't know the technical effect this has on the computer but, once I was back up and running I was able to use both of my drives just fine.
I started some work in FCP (also newly installed) and did a little color correction on some dark footage when I decided that I better pop it up on the LCD monitor for a peek. My setup requires me to plug the firewire to XL2 to av out to monitor.
The MOMENT I plugged the firewire in and turned the camera on I got beachballed.
I did a lot of experimentation with the About This Computer utility thing and noticed that I could have either the XL2 or the FireWire drives. Not both.
I've done a bit of research today and was told by some info on the Apple board that I should reset my PRAM, fix my permissions in disk utility, trash the FCP prefs, delete the kernels and reboot.
I'll give that a try.

Douglas Robbins January 18th, 2005 09:36 PM

I thought it was a front firewire port problem. Try plugging the camera into a different port. If it works on the back port and not the front port, then it's a hardware problem. Have the port fixed. Have you gone down that road yet? If so, what was the conclusion?

Douglas

Ian Corey January 19th, 2005 07:00 AM

kevin said:
"which seems odd because my XL1s still works
fine on the front firewire port."

Kevin Kocak January 19th, 2005 09:47 AM

Do you have any other FW devices connected to your computer? It is well documented over on the Apple support site that FCP and Canon's don't play nice when there is more than one FW device connected. Basically Both the rear and front FW ports connect to the same bus and Canon products do not like to share the FW bus with other devices. One solution that has worked for many people is to add a PCI FW card. Just go to the Apple FCP board and type in Canon and you will see what I am talking about.

Ian Corey January 19th, 2005 12:00 PM

Kevin's right, there are a lot of docs overe there concerning this anomaly.
One suggests getting a PCI FW card installed, thereby separating the camera from the ext HD bus.
I'm doing that ASAP. My problem is that I can see my Firewire drives in the device manager only until I click on the connected XL2. At that point there is "No Information Found".
I'll post back if this is a viable solution for me.

Keith Paisley January 19th, 2005 10:53 PM

I'm just curious - is there a reason you have to connect the XL2 to your computer? I mean, can't you put the tapes in another camera that properly connects to your mac and capture from there?

I have a sony dv camcorder that i picked up on ebay for $300 about 3 years ago that i use exclusively for capture/editing. The thing's been rock solid (knock on wood) and it actually works pretty well for shooting normal family footage. I've never even connected my XL2 (or my previous "good" cameras) to the PC because I'd rather not subject the tape transport on the $5000 camera to any more wear than necessary. Is there anything you gain by capturing with the XL2? DV is DV, no?

I understand why the problem irritates you (I seem to have 2 or 3 similarly maddening issues to deal with every month), but I'm asking you these questions unless I'm missing something myself :)