DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Chrozsiel Mattebox and Rails concern. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/35086-chrozsiel-mattebox-rails-concern.html)

David Cleverly November 17th, 2004 01:09 AM

Chrozsiel Mattebox and Rails concern.

Hi all,

Another post reminded me to comment on the Chrozsiel Mattebox/rails setup for the XL2.

I am (still) looking at an XL2 kit which has a Chrozsiel Matte Box and Rails kit fitted to it (the kit is for an XL1, actually, as I don't think an XL2 version is ready yet - if it is any different).

I found the problem is that the Rail system mounts to the hole under the XL2 (I guess this is normal) but this means the "shoe" that mounts to the bottom of the camera to "slide" into a tripod plate cannot be fitted correctly, if at all (someone might be able to clear this up for me).

I think what this means is that only a tripod such as Manfrotto (that uses a different tripod connection than, say, a miller) can be used with an XL2 with rails attached in this manner - I could not see how the XL2 shoe could be fitted at all once the rails were on.

The Manfrotto tripod plate fits under the rails connector on the bottom of the camera and then this plate slides horizontally into the Manfrotto head instead of a drop-in, push forward type that Miller and such use.

Today with a further test with the XL2 at the showroom, I found this a little concerning as, firstly, the tripod plate connected to the bottom of the camera had to be pushed right back to allow for counterbalancing the camera and in turn this plate then pushes into your chest. If you move the plate out of the way, the camera will not balance on the tripod.

The salesman said:

This should not be a problem...just remopve the plate before using on your shoulder - yeah right, obviously not an end user! Who has the time to do that in a run-and-gun situation???

I don't like the fitting of the rails on the XL2 using the above setup, it looks "Makeshift" and it is uncomfortable.

The other thing I find unusual is that the XL2 does not have a rear guide under the camera like other pro camera so that the camera locks to the (canon) tripod plate at the back as well as the front. This also concerns me as that means there is only one point where the cam connects to the tripod and after time and wear, the camera could become loose fitting to the tripod everytime you put it on.

Just some thoughts and maybe someone can clear this up for me.

I did find the rails VERY comfortable to hold onto with my left hand, by the way, when shooting hand-held.

David

Christopher Go November 17th, 2004 04:34 AM

David, I'm not sure I understand exactly, but I do know that Chrosziel has a new camera base in store for the XL2. Check out the thread listed here.

With my AG-DVX100A and Chrosziel 411-53PK mattebox, I was able to use a Miller DS-10 tripod without problem including with the rails system. I'm sure when the new Chrosziel part for the XL2 rods support comes out it'll be the same, and in fact, I will be ordering a set once they come in.

I'd wait for the new part before ordering a Chrosziel mattebox kit, especially if you intend on having one with rods. The Chrosziel that was outfitted for the XL1 won't do.

Bill Ravens November 17th, 2004 10:22 AM

I'm using a Cavision bellows and 8mm rail system mounted to my XL2 that works just fine. I had to machine a small aluminum plate to adapt the front edge of the bellows to the small bellows rails, but, otherwise, I'm very satisfied with the setup.