DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Problem with the 3x on XL2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/35163-problem-3x-xl2.html)

Richard Alvarez October 7th, 2006 09:54 AM

Ressurecting thread for answer

SO I'm finally going to buy a 3x, and I'm trying to determine if I should buy used or new.

The questions centers on the apparent backfocus issue. According to this thread and others, older 3x Lenses have issues with the Xl2 (which I shoot on.) Researching other threads, it SEEMS as though canon may/may not adjust the back focus for appx ninety US dollars, on the older lenses?

IF I buy brand spanking new, say from BH... IS there still an issue? Do I have to send it in to get the adjustment?

I'd like an answer from someone who has just bought a new 3x, and how it sits on their XL2.

Thanks, oh vast and unpaid research department.

Michael Cassidy October 7th, 2006 11:49 AM

I sent my 3x Lens back to Canon, because the focus was out, on both my cameras, when using it.
They checked it over, and returned it, at no cost, saying, there was nothing wrong with it.
I wasn't going to use it again, cos I knew what I'd seen! But later, thought, I'd put it on and give it a go! Glad I did. It now work perfectly well!
"Ours not to reason why....." can't remember the rest!

Mike.

Richard Alvarez October 7th, 2006 12:19 PM

Michael.

Was the 3x a NEW recent purchase, and was it on the XL2? Which service center did you return it to, Ivine or the one in New Jersey?

Thanks.

Oh, I see you're in the UK, so I'm sure it was a service center in the UK.

Michael Cassidy October 7th, 2006 12:37 PM

The Lens, I had from new, had been used for about 3 years on my XL1S. It worked fine, but when I changed to the XL2, I noticed the problem. With it being on both XL2 Cams, I sent it to Canon U.K. we don't have any other option!
Still, they didn't charge me, and now it focuses as it should!
There's talk about a 6x lens, now that would be a handy lens to have!

Mike.

Richard Alvarez October 7th, 2006 12:52 PM

MIchael,

Thanks, but I wouldn't consider a three year old lens "New" in the sense of newly purchased. I guess I am trying to determine if 3x lenses manufactured SINCE THE RELEASE OF THE XL2, or perhaps since the issue of the back focus has been uncovered, are being shipped in a different condition than those purchased priour to the release of the XL2.

So, from my perpective, you had issues with a 'pre XL2' lens. Which is what everyone has pretty much admitted.

Thanks for the speedy replies.

R

Michael Cassidy October 7th, 2006 01:26 PM

I see what you mean. I was saying, the lens was new, when I bought it for my XL1s. When next buying a camera, I won't automatically assume that the Canon lenses, I have, will work on the latest Canon Camera.
So I will have a wider choice of camera manufacturer, which will suite me!
I would have thought more of Canon, if they'd said, "we've adjusted the lens to suite the XL2" I know makers never admit to any problems, under any circumstances. And if "everything in the garden was rosey" these message boards wouldn't exist,would they?
I hope you get your lens.

Mike.

Mike Teutsch October 7th, 2006 03:19 PM

I just don't believe it?!?!?!?!?!

I keep reading all of these threads about back focus problems with the 3X when used on the XL2, but not too many that come from actual experience. Most are, "well, I head!!!"

Just used my XL2 with the 20X and 3X for a shoot today, and I just couldn't do some things without the 3X, it is just a savior!

Technically, realistically any back focus issue would not be changed or caused by what camera it is mounted on---------Period! It would be a lens adjustment issue with any and all cameras it is used on. Also, the lens has a lesser problem with focus because of the far wider depth of field that it has. Also, because of the short length, you seldom zoom in and back out, it is just not necessary, as the range is not nearly as deep.

In one shot today, we were going to do a way out of focus shot and then do a focus adjustment as a way to do the intro. We decided against in the end and a good thing as far as I was concerned, especially as I could not get it out of focus enough to make any real difference!

Richard, I would be happy to send you my “old” 3x to try out. I don’t think I will need it for a couple of weeks. You can play with it and see if you like it, but you can’t keep it! I want it back someday. Serious!

Mike

Richard Alvarez October 7th, 2006 03:37 PM

Mike,

Thanks for the offer, but I wouldn't want you to put your gear the the trials and tribulations of 'shipping' unnecessarily.

Yes, your point about all of the talk being anecdotal is just what I am trying to nail down. I'm looking for someone who specifically bought a recent version of the 3x, and put it on their XL2.

Basically, I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying the lens full price. If I have to ship a lens in to get it adjusted, even if it's brand new, then I'll definately buy used.

Thanks for your observations. Much appreciated.

Mike Teutsch October 7th, 2006 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
Mike,

Thanks for the offer, but I wouldn't want you to put your gear the the trials and tribulations of 'shipping' unnecessarily.

Yes, your point about all of the talk being anecdotal is just what I am trying to nail down. I'm looking for someone who specifically bought a recent version of the 3x, and put it on their XL2.

Basically, I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying the lens full price. If I have to ship a lens in to get it adjusted, even if it's brand new, then I'll definately buy used.

Thanks for your observations. Much appreciated.

Richard,

Shipping is not really a problem at all. Faster times and better care are making the process very painless. It would not be a problem.

Mike

Tony Davies-Patrick October 8th, 2006 03:37 AM

I doubt if Canon has actually made any more 3X lenses since they stopped production of the XL1s and all new lenses would come from existing stocks.

I also doubt if Canon would have adjusted any new 3X lenses for use on the XL2 (compared to the XL1 & XL1s) prior to shipping for worldwide distribution without letting anyone know of the changes.

I would expect all 3X lenses, both the early and latest models, to be exactly the same, and the only ones that have received some slight adjustments were the used ones that have been sent back to Canon for recalibration.

Bob Safay October 8th, 2006 07:31 AM

Hi. I bought my 3x used in Atlanta several years ago. I was using the XL-1s at the time and I did have a focus problem. I sent the lens and the camcorder to Canon. When I got it back the back focus was re-calibrated and it worked great. I then bought the XL-2 and, thankfully my old 3x works great on it. I use it all the time with no focus problem. It is unbelievable how much I use and like this lens. I to wish that the stock lens (20x and 3x) had the adjuster like the manual lens. Anyway, if the 3x is out of focus sent the lens and camcorder in and Canon will adjust it. Bob

Richard Alvarez October 8th, 2006 09:09 AM

Okay, so the concensus seems to be. "Buy it, if there's a problem send it in." So I'll opt for the used route.

Thanks team.

Bruce S. Yarock October 9th, 2006 02:27 AM

Richard,
Definately buy it new. I had to return mine to Canon N.J.THREE times (last time was after wrranty period) and they fixed it free.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com

Richard Alvarez October 9th, 2006 06:29 AM

Too late.

Pulled the trigger on a used lens. SHould be here at the end of the week. Guess we'll see if there are back focus problems. I'll post here the results of my experience.

Bruce S. Yarock October 9th, 2006 06:47 AM

Richard,
Hopefully you'll get a good lens. Mime lsot all focus and zoom control THREE different times....It's working now.
Good luck.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com