DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Commercials shot with XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/35168-commercials-shot-xl2.html)

Kevin C. W. Wong November 18th, 2004 10:13 PM

Commercials shot with XL2

Hey guys, I recently shot two ads using the XL2. I am really impressed with the camera. Check this link out and let me know what you think.
Thanks!

http://goroommating.com/go_movie_jack.htm
http://goroommating.com/go_movie_granny.htm

Please be advised that the ads are a bit twisted in humor.

Kevin,

Luke Renner November 18th, 2004 10:44 PM

So do tell.
Lighting secrets?
Camera settings?
Just you or a big crew?
Film lenses?
DO TELL!!!!

Cheers!

Kevin C. W. Wong November 19th, 2004 12:30 AM

well, regarding the shoot. It was pretty small scale. we only had a skeleton crew to work with and you know what? The XL2 worked so great we didn't need any of the filters or even the manual lense we rented just in case.

I was especially impressed with the picture clarity and also the preset focus/zoom function on the camera. It made life a lot easier when operating.

Thanks for checking it out!

Kevin,

Tony Hall November 19th, 2004 08:53 AM

Funny commercials. Are those going to show on Canadian television? With the FCC cracking down and the "moral" revolution going on right now in the US, those could never be shown on regular television here.

Kevin C. W. Wong November 19th, 2004 09:41 AM

FCC

Hey Tony,

Glad you like them. The are for sure pretty 'out there' in terms of level of moral acceptance. But in any case, these are meant to be internet commercials only, so that FCC thing is not our biggest concern. That's the beauty of it all. haha.

Thanks again for checking it out, please tell others about the link.

www.Goroommating.com

Kevin,

Brandon Douglas November 19th, 2004 12:42 PM

STOCK XL2?

Kevin,

Great look to the commercials! Just to confirm, you were simply using a stock XL2 with the 20x lens? No fliters or other add-ons?

Thanks for the samples!

Brandon

Greg Patch November 19th, 2004 12:45 PM

WOW!! Those look great.....They are pretty disturbing though, the 2nd one really...The first one reminds me of my college days......hahahha

Hayden Rivers November 23rd, 2004 07:09 AM

They look great. What did you do in post? Very impressive.

Yi Fong Yu November 23rd, 2004 08:15 PM

excellent. i always like how creative people can tell/show something about the characters in the shots in a span of a few minutes. excellent work. was it 24p?

Bob Safay November 24th, 2004 07:13 AM

Kevin, both of these were great. I loved the quality of the shouts. The lighting in the second one was impressive. Also, the situations were really fun to watch. Thanks for shareing. Bob

Kevin C. W. Wong November 24th, 2004 09:48 AM

some answers from me

Hey guys,

Thanks for checking it out and commenting on the spots. Your kind words are real encouragement to me and our team putting this stuff together.

Regarding the post/specs on these spots, it was 24p 2:3:3:2 shot with no filters, standard lense, and a little bit of cleanning up in Combustion. The footage quality was clean, so I really didn't have to do too much in terms of noise management in post. I think cannon has a really great thing going for them with this XL2.

Thanks again and please let me know where to check out some of your stuff done with the XL2.

Kevin,

A. J. deLange November 24th, 2004 01:33 PM

Looked at them again and laughed harder the second time. It just makes me feel so proud that I own the same camera!

Drew Daywalt November 24th, 2004 09:28 PM

Nice Work Kevin.

I've seen people out here in Los Angeles with full film crews, 35 mm cams and full lighting rigs who couldn't get the lighting quality that you got. As ffar as setings, itt's obviously 24 p, but did you use the film grain setting on the camera or did you shoot it entirely clean but with the cine-curve setttings on.

Also, very funny.

Questtion: what did you use as light sources? They looked excelent.

best,
Drew

Raymond Schlogel November 25th, 2004 12:43 AM

Great stuff buddy. Would love to know some of your camera settings ...

- Ray

Kevin C. W. Wong November 25th, 2004 07:17 AM

replying drew

Hey Drew,

Thanks for the kind words regarding lighting, I am quite surprised to see that it worked out the way it did because the apartment had all white walls and ceilings, we really had to busy it up with props and furnitures to make it shootable. To answer your question, we used very simiple lights actually, just a couple of 4x4 kinos and some practicals on dimmers. Actually very textbook. I am happy to know that the camera was very subtle in gradation. It gave the lighting a nice 'falloff' which add to the depth.

Regarding camera settings, it's 24p, however when I thought about using the film grain and curves, I decided against it on this project since I was planning on colour correction in Combustion from the start. I think the grain and curves tools are excellent, but probably best used when you don't have a lot of time in post. I usually like to keep things as keep as I can in the footage.

Anyway, thanks again for checking it out. Your encouragement is much appreciated too.

Kevin,