DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Some stills - As promised. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/36316-some-stills-promised.html)

Luke Renner December 13th, 2004 04:23 AM

Some stills - As promised.

Back from Haiti.

I am IN LOVE with the XL2 (with its 20x lens).

Never thought I would say it... but I am. Having just come from straight broadcasting cameras, I wouldn't trade the XL2 for ANY of them. What is lacks, it MORE than makes up for with features that mildly affordable broadcast cameras don't have.

I will write a deeper review of my experiences shortly. But until such time, have a look at a few stills.

http://homepage.mac.com/cre8inator/F...otoAlbum5.html

Cheers!
Luke

Jacob Ehrichs December 13th, 2004 06:54 AM

Where these taken in Frame mode or normal? I'm hoping normal.

Ralph Roberts December 13th, 2004 08:31 AM

Incredible quality... and certainly gives a feel for the poverty that is Haiti. Thanks for sharing.

--Ralph

John Sandel December 13th, 2004 10:56 AM

Luke, this is first-rate work. I especially like "Doing the chores," "Hesitant" & "Silent echo" as compositions.

Please share technical details on how you shot--cam settings, which lens, time of day (if you recall) etc.

Luke Renner December 13th, 2004 11:26 AM

Here's my camera settings:

- 16:9
- 24P
- I assume "Normal Mode" - not "Frame Mode." Never manually put it "Frame Mode." So if it comes in "Normal Mode" out of the box, then it was in "Normal Mode." I know that sounds staggeringly professional of me!
- Used the Canon20x lens (came with the camera).
- 1/48 shuter speed (as often as I was able).
- Image stabalization was on (switch on the side of the lens).
- I tweaked quite of few of the internal settings via Cutom Preset 1 - mostly went toward 35mm characteristics. Crushed blacks a bit, bumped red up a bit, cine gamma, etc. All personal taste.

One thing I will say is that the color viewfinder makes focusing more difficult (but NOT impossible). The UP-SWING to that is how easy it is to create a mood with an alternate white balance and to KNOW how it will look as you shoot it. That makes up for the focusing prowess required by a long shot. Besides, now I will just get better at focusing.

Luke Renner December 13th, 2004 11:47 AM

Out of curiosity Jacob, why were you hoping normal?
Do the frames look bad for frame mode or good for normal?

Cheers!
Luke

Jacob Ehrichs December 13th, 2004 12:20 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Luke Renner : Out of curiosity Jacob, why were you hoping normal?
Do the frames look bad for frame mode or good for normal?

Cheers!
Luke -->>>

The pictures look phenominal and are geat material. I especially love the footprint in the sand picture.

I wondered because in a few shots there is some interlacing artifacts (shots 7 and 29) and if it was shot in Frame Mode they shouldn't be there. If they were then I'd be a little dissapointed but confused as many of the subjects in other stills were undoubtedly in motion when they were taken and no interlacing is present.

Will the slideshow allow you to correct for the right aspect ratio? Either way, I think you've got an excellent eye.

Luke Renner December 13th, 2004 12:30 PM

Right you are about the interlacing!
I fired these out so quickly, it's possible those two missed my correct export setting. But good eye.

Cheers!
Luke

Sid Tran December 13th, 2004 01:03 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jacob Ehrichs : Where these taken in Frame mode or normal? I'm hoping normal. -->>>

"Frame Mode" is a feature available only to the XL1. The XL2 does not have frame mode. Correct me if i'm wrong but that should be the case.

Jacob Ehrichs December 13th, 2004 04:52 PM

I made a generalization about 'frame mode'. No it does not have frame mode. I should have used the term 'progressive mode' instead. I tend to use those terms interchangably sometimes even though I do understand they are different.

Luke Renner December 13th, 2004 06:31 PM

Then yes, it was in progressive. But like I said, i think I exported those two incorrectly. My bad.

Luke

Travis Maynard December 13th, 2004 06:53 PM

It really depends on the pull down. I was having a problem with the interlacing. If he shot everything with the 2:3:3:2 pulldown then that is full progressive and shouldn't have any interlacing what so ever. If he shot the footage with the 2:3 pulldown then there will be noticable interlacing.

Correct me if I am wrong guys, but I had the same problem and I re-shot some stuff today in the 2:3:3:2 pulldown and ta-da, no interlacing.

The XL2 is astounding period. I kinda get dragged down by some posts on here with the negative things about the XL2, but the camera deserves all the credit it can get.

A lot of people put down the XL2 because everyone wants to get into the HD cameras, but If I could have the choice between getting the HD and the XL2 I would still go with the XL2.

Just some thoughts...

Luke Renner December 13th, 2004 07:01 PM

I'm with you Travis.

The XL2 is simply ASTOUNDING.
HD will be a great thing. But at this point, I am Canon's bitch. I will stay with them for some time, hoping that the next breed of XL boasts some HD capabilities. Until then, I'm in HEAVEN!

Cheers!
Luke

John Sandel December 13th, 2004 08:25 PM

"I am Canon's bitch."

Luke, I can see the ad campaign now--a testimonial sort of thing!

But what would the photo be?

JS

Devin Doyle December 13th, 2004 10:53 PM

Luke, first off - kudos for your work. As well as working for an amazing cause, your composition and color pallettes are very sharp. I was wondering if you used any filters on some of the shots. One in particular appeared as if you used a graduated nd filter, and other sky shots were very deep blue - polarizer? Anyways, just wanted to get the skinny on how you accomplished those images. Great work!