DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XL2 studio package (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/36319-canon-xl2-studio-package.html)

Reg Bagwell December 13th, 2004 10:41 AM

Canon XL2

Does anybody know if there is there a studio package available for this camera and if so, what the cost is? ie. External V/F (4-5"), and remote zoom & focus controls to mount on a tripod.

Jimmy McKenzie December 13th, 2004 10:51 AM

For most, an external shoe mounted lcd is used. You are likely looking for a crt monitor and now that there is bnc composite out as well as regular composite, you will have a suitable monitor feed.
As for the Canon zoom controller, it is very compact and works very well for zoom control. As for focus control on the remote, it is a complete waste of time due to the servo motor controlled lens.
Perhaps a pro zoom controller would work, but that would mean going with the 16x manual lens.

Chris Hurd December 13th, 2004 10:53 AM

Hi Reg, welcome to DV Info Net.

Everything you're listing here is available from our sponsor VariZoom Lens Controls.

More zoom & focus controls at 16x9 Inc.

Reg Bagwell December 13th, 2004 11:11 AM

Well, I'm not hung up on a CRT as opposed to an LCD. What's important is the size. This camera is being used in a pressbox for shooting hockey. Right now, the camera operator is just watching a 14" monitor sitting on the desk at the side but we want to get rid of that monitor and the only way to do that is to put a suitable sized V/F on the camera itself. The supplied LCD, although a suitable picture, is just too small. If we could get a standard studio package at a decent price, that would be perfect.

Chris Hurd December 13th, 2004 11:32 AM

Any decent 5.6" TFT LCD monitor will do for monitoring on-location shooting. Check out these VariZoom packages.

Jimmy McKenzie December 13th, 2004 11:33 AM

I suppose if your pressbox allows you to be dead centre of the rink on the red line, you really won't require precise focus control as you are equidistant from each goalie. I use my 17" lcd panel similar to your tv for framing. A small 7 inch shoe mount lcd would work great. You will have to test the zoom controller you decide to go with. When I shoot a hockey game, the Canon at level 5 just keeps up...

Reg Bagwell December 13th, 2004 12:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately, I'm shooting pretty well at the blue line......the radio booth is dead centre. However, after saying that, most of what I shoot using this camera is wide angle as the coaches want as much as they can get of the entire play. So focus isn't that critical, but it would be nice to have it handy for those few occasions when zooming in is of necessity and focusing is required.

Chris Hurd December 13th, 2004 12:22 PM

VariZoom, Zoe (16x9 Inc.) and Canon LANC zoom controllers all offer remote focus control as well.

Jimmy McKenzie December 13th, 2004 01:27 PM

I suppose it really depends on the needs of the video. Unless this is sold out venue every night, you are best to be in the stands, dead centre ice, about 20 -30 rows up depending on the rake of the seating, with the regular lens, and like you said zoom in where needed.
To try and use the focus controller with the stock lens is impossible!!! The game is just way too fast for that! You rack focus to the goalie, pull back and your entire field is in focus no matter where you point the cam. This is the fundamental reason for being at centre ice running the safety cam, and it sounds like you are. Any other cam buried in the corners or at the blue line is for the "b" roll.

If this is competetive hockey, you will have the entire play development from the middle of the neutral zone to the top of the circles in the frame at full wide.
Up here, the coach couldn't care less about the crap occuring behind the play because it usually involves one of 2 players and often results in off-setting minors. Sorry to stray slightly off topic.

Mark Sasahara December 16th, 2004 03:48 PM

If there is a way that you can get up above the ice as Jimmy pointed out, that is better. There is less focus pulling needed and you can shoot a bit wide and get all the plays as they develop. If possible, it is better if you can cover the game with more than one camera.