DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 Audio Capturing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/37509-xl2-audio-capturing.html)

Brent Ray January 9th, 2005 01:35 AM

XL2 Audio Capturing

Maybe I'm missing something really big here, but does the firewire only output the Audio 1 mix? I recently recorded a live event and had two mic sources and put them on individual stereo channels. One source (the camera mic) was on Audio 1 on the right channel, and the other (series of mics sent through a mixer and in to the XLR input on the camera) was on Audio 2 on the left channel. When I listen through my headphones or playback on a TV using the RCA outs, the audio sounds just fine. But when I capture the video onto my computer, it's like it only captures channels 1/2 and not 3/4.

Is there a way to set this differently? Or am I completely screwed now?

Rob Lohman January 9th, 2005 07:25 AM

No, most capture programs only support the first audio track. So
your just not getting the additional tracks. Try the demo of
www.scenalyzer.com. That should get you all of the tracks.

A. J. deLange January 9th, 2005 08:19 AM

The two capture programs I use, FCP and BTVPro will both capture all 4 channels but only two at at time so that a second pass for the second two channels is required (unless you want to mix them pairwize in which case it can be done with a single pass). The time code is captured in both and so allows precise alignment. Thus you certainly can get all 4 in the Mac world and I'm sure it's essentially the same in the PC world.

Richard Hunter January 9th, 2005 06:23 PM

Scenalyzer does it in one pass, and generates a wave file for the second pair of audio tracks. The name of this file is related to the corresponding avi file that contains the first pair of audio tracks, so it is very easy to identify what goes with what, and to synchronise everything in a video editor.

Brian Gauthier January 9th, 2005 09:19 PM

just switch to an AVID system as you can do it in one pass... not only one pass but select which audio of the 4 you actually want...

Ronald Lee January 11th, 2005 12:57 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Hunter : Scenalyzer does it in one pass, and generates a wave file for the second pair of audio tracks. The name of this file is related to the corresponding avi file that contains the first pair of audio tracks, so it is very easy to identify what goes with what, and to synchronise everything in a video editor. -->>>

Is it easy to synch the second audio track (the wave file) to the video in Premiere 6.5?

So there is no way to pull the 2nd track when capturing with Premiere 6.5 or the Sony DVgate program (which is what I usually use to capture) or is there?

the second audio track isn't hidden on the stereo AVI file and we just can see it, right? Sorry, I'm not really an editor, but I've got some big projects which I would Like to edit Myself.

Richard Hunter January 11th, 2005 06:17 PM

Hi Ronald. If you capture using Scenalyzer, it is easy to sychronise the other stream - just line up the wav file with the avi and it's done.

Can Premiere capture the second stream? It might be possible if you can set your DV device to play back the second stream while you capture. I have a JVC DV deck that supposedly does this, but no matter what I tried, it didn't seem to affect what audio was actually captured (in my case I was using Vegas to capture). Maybe I was doing it wrong, but it looks so simple I'm not sure what even I could do to screw it up. Keep in mind though, that even if you can capture the second stream in this way, you will need to be careful about setting start and stop points for the capture, otherwise you might have some work to do when you try to synchronise the second stream with the video.

The DV avi file captured by Premiere has only one stereo audio stream, so unfortunately, the other audio is not hidden away somewhere waitng for you to access it.

Richard

Johan Forssblad November 24th, 2006 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Ray
But when I capture the video onto my computer, it's like it only captures channels 1/2 and not 3/4.

Is channel pair 1/2 or 3/4 selectable in the camcorder menu system? Or is it only selected in the NLE system?
I'm struggling with this for an XL H1 too with FCP and thought to get a clue here from the XL2 owners.
Thanks! /Johan

Mike Teutsch November 24th, 2006 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johan Forssblad
Is channel pair 1/2 or 3/4 selectable in the camcorder menu system? Or is it only selected in the NLE system?
I'm struggling with this for an XL H1 too with FCP and thought to get a clue here from the XL2 owners.
Thanks! /Johan

This has to do with your capturing software, not any of the cameras. My XL2 plays all audio on playback, but PPro only captures 1/2. I too bought Scenalyzer.

Mike