DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Finding black and white on XL-2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/37616-finding-black-white-xl-2-a.html)

Joseph Ivey January 11th, 2005 09:25 AM

Finding black and white on XL-2

I just my XL-2 two days ago and cannot seem to find where you can switch from shooting in color to shooting in black and white. I shoot short films fairly often and shoot most in black and white, so I would like to find this setting and fail to believe that if Canon added all of these other features they didn't add this one some where.

Also, is there a place that sells cool cards that I can use to White balance and get a cooler effect? I have the warm cards and white cards, but can't seem to find cool cards.

Kevin Kocak January 11th, 2005 10:18 AM

I believe you lower the saturation to get B&W. Why not just do it in post?

Mathieu Ghekiere January 11th, 2005 10:21 AM

It's better to do it in post. You can add special fx more easily, have more options, picture quality stay the sames, and you can easily add more contrast and such.

Joseph Ivey January 11th, 2005 10:37 AM

i am also having trouble finding the option for B&W in Final cut HD. I just got the program and haven't gotten too in depth with it yet.

Boyd Ostroff January 11th, 2005 10:50 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mathieu Ghekiere : It's better to do it in post. -->>>

While it's true that this gives you more control, it also requires rendering and twice the disk space for storage since you have the original version plus the black and white rendered copy....

Joseph Ivey January 11th, 2005 10:56 AM

Ok, so if I wanted to do it in post, what filter would I use and how would I use it?

Tim Commeijne January 11th, 2005 11:12 AM

Hey Joseph!

It's not so dificult to ad black and white in FCP HD: Just add the 3-way collercorrector to you clip, and bring slide the saturation all the wat to the left. Done.

greets Tim

Richard Alvarez January 11th, 2005 11:21 AM

Joseph,

To get instrutions on how to use your NLE, you have to tell us what NLE you are using.

Joseph Ivey January 11th, 2005 11:47 AM

i am using Final Cut Por HD. Thanks for the help. Also, did anyone know anything about that cool card? If it exists of if I will just have to fix it in post?

Kevin Kocak January 11th, 2005 12:16 PM

Joseph, just think of it like this
Saturation=color
The lower your saturation the lower your color intensity, and vice versa. This goes for NLE and digital cameras. Just look up saturation in our FCP manual and read up on it. Understanding concepts like this will mke you much more well-rounded as an editor and shooter. It can take a lot of time and study to master these concepts but it is worth it.

Richard Alvarez January 11th, 2005 12:24 PM

Cool cards and warm cards

http://www.studio1store.com/

Found it in ten seconds on google.

Joseph Ivey January 11th, 2005 08:15 PM

So can anyone tell me where the option to lower saturation is on the camera and in Final Cut Pro HD? I just got both the program and camera and am a little overwhelmed.

Richard Alvarez January 11th, 2005 09:17 PM

Joseph,

The color saturation controls are in the menu program,fin out about them on page 68 and 69 of the manual.

Kevin Kocak January 12th, 2005 08:32 AM

Joseph, I know you are new to the software end the camera but there is a certain amount of research you have to do on your own. These discussion boards aren't for somebody to hold your hand because you didn't feel like reading the manuals and educating yourself before you use your gear. These boards are for abnormalities, legitimate problems and questions which are not addressed in the manuals for the gear. All you have to do is look up saturation in the maual for FCP. It takes about 30 seconds to actually look up the word and find the page where it is described. So you could have solved this problem in a minute and saved a little face. It sounds like you need to take a day or two to read your manuals, do some tutorials and test you equpment before you move forward. This is professional gear you have and you really need to be educated on it to be effecive. Godd luck!

David Clark January 12th, 2005 10:35 AM

No rendering B&W in Matrox RTX100 With Premiere Pro ! :)

Joseph Ivey January 12th, 2005 01:53 PM

Kevin, I do, however, apologize for asking these questions. I read the manual the first day I got the camera but didn't see where it mentioned saturation and thought that they might have been calling it something else. To everyone else thatnks for the help, and next time I will do more research before asking a question.

A. J. deLange January 12th, 2005 03:38 PM

Actually, they do call it something else - color gain. It's in the section of the manual that deals with custom presets (p68). If I may make a suggestion it might be a good idea to get familiar with the basics of the operation of the camera before tackling something advanced like fiddling with the custom presets.

Good luck and have fun.

Joseph Ivey January 13th, 2005 09:54 AM

I understand what you guys are saying. The truth is that I did look for it for an hour before I posted the question. I found it after someone in this post replied to me and said it was called color gain. That is why I couldn't find it. I work at a television station operating cameras so I know how to use them and how to adjust master pedestal and knee, it is just that I did not realize that the way to change it to black and white was to reduce saturation. Other cameras I have worked with had an option to switch to B&W and it adjusted saturation instantly. I have knowledge of camera work, but not all cameras are the same. Thanks for the help anyway.

Kevin Kocak January 13th, 2005 12:47 PM

Joseph, looking back on my posts I will have to aplogize. I should have been a bit more patient. Sorry
Remember the old saying, feed someone and they eat for a day, teach them how to fish, yada yada yada