DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   xl2 and choice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/38361-xl2-choice.html)

Tom Faber January 26th, 2005 08:14 AM

xl2 and choice

Hey all, I just ordered the xl2 and would like to know your thoughts on my choice. Thank you. I guess I amy be having second thoughts due to some of the disturbing posts I have read.

thanks all.

Bill Ravens January 26th, 2005 08:20 AM

I hesitate to answer your question because of the HDV zealots around here. I bought an XL2 right after they were released. I've been quite happy with my purchase, even tho' it exhibits some of Canon's old bad habits like hunting autofocus. The images are very nice, better than those available from a DVX100, IMHO. I've shot one feature film with it that's still in post-production. Of course, in short order this camera will be obsolete. Nevertheless, the DV format will be around for years to come, so, it's not a short lived purchase. The current lineup of support hardware to support HDV is still in critical development. meaning, there's no easy path to distribution with HDV. It's still a development format. Take heart, I'm not regretting my XL2 purchase. Ask me again in a years time. From what I read, the DVD disks to record HDV won't be finalized for at least another year.

Marty Hudzik January 26th, 2005 08:31 AM

Bill,
While I Respect your opinion I think that a statement like "the Xl2 will be obsolete in short order" is a little strong. While there is no doubt that something new will come along that brings something new to the table and makes the Xl2 no longer the latest and greatest, that does not mean it is obsolete. In fact you go on to say that DV will be going strong for several more years which contradicts the first statement.

I just think being obsolete is something that we XL2 users won't have to face for a while. Until HDV is fully supported and proven I can't see a camera coming out in the DV format that will make the XL2 obsolete. Sure Pana could release a new version of the DVX and it might be native 16x9 and compete head to head with the Xl2, maybe even surpass it in some areas but it would not make it obsolete.

Just wanted to clarify this to new buyers that may get frieghtened of by that comment.

Peace!

Chris Hurd January 26th, 2005 08:38 AM

As far as obsolesence is concerned, the fact is that you could take a 1995 model Sony VX1000 today and (as long as it's in good working order) use it to make money, run a business and produce some superb video.

Tom, personally I think you should relax until it arrives, and then dive right in and explore the camera and see for yourself whether or not it's to your liking. There should be at least a seven-day return policy anyway, depending on who you bought it from.

Bill Ravens January 26th, 2005 08:42 AM

Sorry, guys. I will concede that my allusion to "obsolescence" may have been a little strong. In all honesty, I was trying to allay rebuttal from the HDV crowd, which, as we all know, is quite vocal and insistent. I quite agree with you. DV will be here for years to come, especially with the kind of quality I'm now getting from Canon images.

Peace

Tom Faber January 26th, 2005 08:42 AM

xl2

Thanks all. Thanks Chris, there is so much negativity out there that its hard to not second guess. Also, check your email as I emailed you.

Rob Lohman January 26th, 2005 08:42 AM

Welcome aboard DVInfo.net Tom!

I'm not sure how anyone can answer your question really.

You say: "would like to know your thoughts on my choice"

our thoughts in what way? I would say congratulations on buying
a very nice camera! What other thoughts are you looking for?
(Camera choice is a very personal thing, what works for me might
not work for you etc.)

You say: "I may be having second thoughts due to some of the disturbing posts"

disturbing posts? Which ones? About what?

If you are really having seconds thoughts I'm not sure if you did
your homework good enough before buying. I assume you can
send it back if it doesn't work out for you?

As others have said, relax, you've bought a great camera!

Tom Faber January 26th, 2005 08:45 AM

Well, honestly...the anti Canon croud at dv.com. The thing is, you never know what to think when people start babbling. Thanks for the welcome. I guess I am looking for the approval of the cam that I think I will give after I recieve it. I also bought the 3x wide lens.

Tom Faber January 26th, 2005 08:49 AM

Relax.....hahaha........after my wife sees the new cam I may be relaxing alone........hahaha. I bought from B&H but with exchange I spent 7000 on it. Big difference than what I would pay in the US, hence the slight uncertainty.

Tom Faber February 2nd, 2005 10:52 AM

All I can say is...........................Holy freakin WOW!!! Got the cam, been using gl1 and gl2, the xl2 just in looks, is incredible. Cant wait to learn all about it!

Richard Alvarez February 2nd, 2005 12:03 PM

Tom,

You made a good purchase. Despite the fact that I had to send mine back for fuse problems, I am still happy with the choice I made. As I sit and edit a documentary I shot on it, I am more and more pleased with the images it creates.

Enjoy.

Tom Faber February 2nd, 2005 12:09 PM

I agree Richard......I cant wait to shoot anything! In looks alone I love it. No more feeling inadequate when the tv guys show up at the same place.

George Castro February 2nd, 2005 12:11 PM

Man, i wish i could afford an XL2. Congrats on your camera dude. Remember, it's not the tools, it's the artist :) but that's one nice paint brush you go there.

God Bless,
George

Richard Alvarez February 2nd, 2005 12:11 PM

"Inadequate".... hmmm, might want to talk to your wife about "compensating" Tom... ;)

Tom Faber February 2nd, 2005 12:18 PM

Hahahaha! It's taken care of, this cam is bigger! ;-)

Tom Faber February 2nd, 2005 12:20 PM

Hey, I couldnt afford it either, especially here in Canada but I sold my racecar and bought the new toy(technically it is a toy) with the proceeds. No more going fast in circles, but I can definetly shoot fast.

Monty Markland February 2nd, 2005 12:32 PM

Xl2

The XL2 is an outstanding camera. The XL2 is capable of capturing killer images, and the architecture of the camera makes it fairly extendable and adaptable.

HDV formats are still being fought over, and the technology does not have a high penetration in the home yet. Buy an HDV camera in a couple of years when things have gotten sorted out.

Monty

Steven White February 2nd, 2005 01:31 PM

<the HDV zealots>

Heh. I'm an HDV zealot (or at least bought the camera)... I doubt anyone could give a fully justified answer as to why buying an XL2 is not an excellent choice.

Have fun!