DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Storage of XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/39825-storage-xl2.html)

Jon Turner February 20th, 2005 09:11 AM

Storage of XL2

XL2 on a flat surface rests on three contact points just fine, but what about uneven surfaces when the camera might not rest as designed?

specifically, i worry that the lens might damage the 'thread' where it attaches to the camera body if the camera weighs on it.

i don't want to detach the lens every time i store it in case dust gets in, and also because i'm lazy.

essentially: how robust is this damn thing?!

Rob Lohman February 20th, 2005 09:20 AM

Does that matter? I wouldn't take my chance with such an expensive
piece of gear. I would treat it good whenever possible. I bought
a toolbox at the local hardware/tool shop for like $50. Added some
foamcore stuff and it fits everything assembled perfectly. I can
even stand/sit on it and it has a tray above the camera for storing
things like my batteries, tapes, cables, remote control etc.

Jon Turner February 20th, 2005 09:27 AM

i'm half-kidding. most foamcore carry cases come with an xl2-shaped niche to put it in, the implication is that the correct way to store it is with the lens attached.

as for the robustness, of course i treat it as well as i can, but in the field there are inevitable and unavoidable situations where things go wrong.

are there any damage problems the xl2 is susceptible to? and what can i do to limit the risk?

also do you know of any general maintenance/breakdown problems xl2 is prone to?

cheers

Rob Lohman February 20th, 2005 09:38 AM

The XL line of camera's seem to be very sturdy. I've heard of
stories where people dropped the camera and it was fine. The
best thing you do to limit the risk is make sure you are covered
where you can. If you don't need the camera, store it away
safely. Don't let others touch the camera (I only let one other
person use mine) and always keep it on a stable surface like a
table or tripod (that is standing properly).

Keep in mind that making movies is no place to be dis-organised
or have people running around or doing all sort of "funny"/weird
stuff. It is a serious working place, let everyone know that the
equipment, sets and props should be handled like that.

I also insured my camera (which here is an insurance for expensive
items like jewelry and camera's etc.) both from accidents (like
dropping the camera), theft and damage it might take when using
it. The insurance didn't cover anyone else using it or renting out
the camera (which I could've both added, but that gets much more
expensive and was something I wouldn't want to do anyway).

Just use your common sense and you'll be safe.

Mark Sasahara February 20th, 2005 09:40 AM

That's a great hard case solution, but for walking around all day and lugging a camera, Porta Brace HKP-3 is great, because it can be carried like a backpack, or slung over the shoulder if you get their shoulder strap. It has a rigid frame that surrounds the contents for protection. There are a couple of other companies that make back packs, like, Lightware and Lowe Pro.

I plan to walk around Central Park, video taping Christo's The Gates and having to hand carry a 15 lb tool box would not be fun. For car travel the tool box would be fine.

Instead of Foamcor, you could also get a foam rubber sleeping pad, available at outdoor gear stores and army surplus stores, and chop it up to fit the tool box. It takes up more room, but will give greater shock absorption. I have lined various cases and surplus ammo boxes with sleeping pad foam to great effect.

Mark Sasahara February 20th, 2005 09:53 AM

You can store it with the lens on that's fine, it's ready to go. If you were to ship it, or check it as baggage, take the lens off, and pack the gear tightly and securely. This prevents bad things from happening to the lens mount. It is a break point and there is a potential to torque the mount

Store your camera in a case, or bag that suits your needs. My Porta Brace case is excellent for run and gun shooting as well as normal storage, getting to and from the set. I can't keep the matte box on while it's in the bag, but everything will fit and is wrapped up in a lens wrap. There are also pockets on the outside to hold more stuff. I also have a Pelican case that has wheels, should the camera need to be shipped. I will have the camera disassembled when put in the Peli case.

If you are storing the camera for more than a month and not using it, be sure to take out both the internal battery and the external battery. This way, if they leak, they won't ruin your camera.