DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   On Camera Light (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/39951-camera-light.html)

Jeffrey Hall February 22nd, 2005 01:24 PM

On Camera Light

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good on camera light?

Thanks

Chris Hurd February 22nd, 2005 01:27 PM

You can find a variety of on-board light suggestions by searching in our Photon Management forum.

Bruce S. Yarock February 22nd, 2005 07:18 PM

I've used the Canon 10 watt, which is ok. Then I tried the NRG "mite-lite" with mixed results. I'm planning on getting the Frezzi "mini fill' with the dimmer and complete sofbox set up. It's expensive though,...$589...
Good luck.
Bruce Yarock

David Clark February 22nd, 2005 11:03 PM

Do look at the NRG Varalux. The light alone with XLR battery connector is 219.00 at B&H.

Marty Hudzik February 25th, 2005 11:31 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Bruce S. Yarock : I've used the Canon 10 watt, which is ok. Then I tried the NRG "mite-lite" with mixed results. I'm planning on getting the Frezzi "mini fill' with the dimmer and complete sofbox set up. It's expensive though,...$589...
Good luck.
Bruce Yarock -->>>

Can you post a linkt to the Frezzi "mini fill" with softbox? I did a google search but came back with all kinds of parts for Frezzi's but not one that looked like what I "expect" this will look like.

Thanks!
Marty

Bruce S. Yarock February 26th, 2005 05:16 AM

Marty,
Here you go...
http://www.frezzi.com/mini-fil1.htm

Bruce Yarock

Michel Brewer February 27th, 2005 04:04 AM

on camera light

Jeffrey:

if you plan on doing a lot of shooting in darker areas the frezzi mini fill with dimmer or a anton bauer ul are a great choice. They are expensive though and you will have to get a A/Bauer or Frezzi NP-1 adapter for you cam.

In my opinion its worth it though, the weight of the A/Bauers are a great counterbalance on the XL cams and the ability to either have a real light that throws a decent arc (more than 7.5 ft.) is a huge plus.

You might check ebay for a a/b charger and batts and get a plate and light at one of the site sponsors. (or the whole shebang there) there was a kit minus light in the equipment section of this site a while ago.

I love what mine does, its a night and day difference in both light and balance for the camera....good luck with whatever your choice. I know mine paid for itself in two weeks because I knew I could take those nightime bookings without fear of disappointing the clients.

M

Bruce S. Yarock February 27th, 2005 05:43 AM

Michael,
i'm planning to get the mini fill, and was going to use it with a battery belt . But I'd much rather go with the anton bauer battery.
I have a couple of questions:
1- How long will the a/b power the camera and light?
2-Which batteries, charger and plate do I need? ( I've heard the "dionics ' mentioned here).
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Bruce S. Yarock February 27th, 2005 05:46 AM

Michael,
I forgot to ask one other thing. Frezzi asked me what power lamp (bulb?) I wanted...from 50 to 100watt. Since I'm getting the dimmer model, which would you suggest?
Thanks again
Bruce Yarock

Michel Brewer February 27th, 2005 01:57 PM

Bruce:

You need the Anton Bauer Gold Mount Plate for the XL series, here is the BH ID # the link was far to long to cut and paste....

"Anton Bauer QRXL12 Gold Mount for XL1S and XL2 - Power Tap, 7.2 VDC, 12 VDC - Mfr# QRXL12 • B&H# ANQRXL12"

It mounts quite nicely onto the acces. bracket. I have 2 proformer batteries and 2 digital trimpacs Ive use with mine. The proformers dont last as long but I just have them as a backup. The trimpacs Im not sure the exact time but Ive done long shoots at night using them extensively and they have kept me going all night never had to reach for the proformers.

I have a 50 watt on mine which has worked well for me. The dimmer version with the ability to dial in the temp. you should find will work well for you. I would get a softbox for it also from either frezzi or chimera since it really is quite bright in someones eyes. Also just a tip I got my A/B q2 charger and the batteries quite inexpensively since I got a used set that was issued with a panasonic supercam. Its the same battery and charger Anton Bauer sells but was labeled panasonic and supercam on the batteries as such I dont think some people thought they were AB's, they are. You might scan ebay for those you can pick them up cheaply a lot of the time. The dionic is a great battery but perhaps overkill in both price and power. The trimpacs have a good weight and last quite long.

A final note I have a A/B ul-20 on cam light as well, I like the frezzi so much that llight is just there as a backup.....

Hope this helps and good luck on your purchase Im sure you will enjoy it.

Bruce S. Yarock February 27th, 2005 02:52 PM

Michael,
Thanks a lot for the info. One thing that I'm still unclear about is whether the a/b battery will power the light and camera.
Bruce yarock

Michel Brewer February 27th, 2005 04:25 PM

Bruce:

it will do both although Ive never tried to do both at the same time curiously enough. The GMount plate has a canon adapter that slides into the battery plate the same as the one that comes with your batt. charger/ac adapter that is part of the canon kit.

If you want so see what it looks like email me and I will send you a pic of mine. And maybe i will go and actually test using both at the same time :)

M

Bruce S. Yarock February 27th, 2005 08:11 PM

Michael,
You can email me at yarock at aol dot com. What have you been using to power the light...a battery belt?
Bruce Yarock

Michel Brewer February 27th, 2005 08:20 PM

bruce:

I will send you the image, and no just powering the light with the onboard batts. During the day I use the ab system for power but at night Ive beem using a bp for cam power and the ab's for the frezzi, although i checked and the ab will power both at the same time I just hadnt done it before......(dont ask why)

m