DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   BIG Problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/40084-big-problem.html)

Frank Aalbers February 24th, 2005 10:44 PM

BIG Problem

I'm suddenly getting problems playing back my DV tapes on my XL2.

Has anyone seen this problem before ?

Here is a grab:
http://home.comcast.net/~chalbers/problem.jpg

Can I fix it or do I need to return it ?

I just got it 3 weeks ago .

Frank

Kevin Wild February 24th, 2005 11:56 PM

Looks like dirty heads. The camera manual says to clean the camera as soon as you get it. Did you do that by chance? Your camera is probably fine, but your shot...is shot. No fixing the tape.

Good luck.

Kevin

Frank Aalbers February 25th, 2005 01:10 AM

It does ? What page ?

Anyway , the shot is not shot. It was recorderd OK, it just plays back wrong now. Used to play back OK. I'm going to clean the head tomorrow with a cleaner tape and see what happens. That's also what Canon support suggeted !

Thanks for the input.

Frank

Kevin Wild February 25th, 2005 10:53 AM

Sorry, can't give you page number, but it's there.

Oh yeah...glad it was the playback head that was dirty and not the record head...thus, your tape is fine.

Ed Bicker February 25th, 2005 03:49 PM

By the way, what is the best way to clean the heads on the XL2?

Frank Aalbers February 25th, 2005 08:53 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Wild : Sorry, can't give you page number, but it's there.

Oh yeah...glad it was the playback head that was dirty and not the record head...thus, your tape is fine. -->>>

Oh ! I didn't know there wher 2 seperate heads. !

Frank

Rob Lohman February 26th, 2005 06:42 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ed Bicker : By the way, what is the best way to clean the heads on the XL2? -->>>

With a DV cleaning tape?

Richard Alvarez February 26th, 2005 09:18 AM

Page 32 under the section for preparing the camcorder, top of the page;
BEFORE YOU BEGIN RECORDING
Make a test recording first to check if the camcorder operates correctly. If necessary, clean the video heads. pg110

ON page 110 they reccomend cleaning the heads frequently. They also reccomend NOT USING WET TYPE head cleaners.

I use the Pannasonic dry head tape cleaner.

Frank Aalbers February 26th, 2005 11:56 AM

I must have an updated version of the manual.

It DOES talk about cleaning using NOT wet type cleaners, but on my page 110 it doesn't mention ANYTHING about BEFORE YOU BEGIN RECORDING.

Oh well ... I can only go on Monday to fix the problem. This weekend is taken for me.

Thanks for all the great info !

Frank Aalbers February 28th, 2005 11:22 PM

So yes ! Using the cleaning tape ( Panasonic dry cleaning tape might I add ) fixed the problem.

I'm going to stay with Pana DV tapes from now on. Probably the MQ series. Just to keep it safe.

Thanks for all the help and feedback on this issue !

Frank

Dan Mumford March 2nd, 2005 06:19 AM

Frank,

It is page 32 that tells about cleaning if the XL2 doesn't work correctly and it refers you to page 110.

On page 110 it does recommend cleaning frequently, however, cleaning tapes are abrasive. Personally, I would only run the cleaning tape when I noticed artifacting or the "Heads dirty, use cleaning cassette" message appears. "Frequently" is a pretty subjective term.

Dan

David Levine March 2nd, 2005 01:14 PM

Cleaning Tape

The problem with this is that when you notice artifacts, well, then the footage is ruined. Also, this kinda assumes you are reviewing the tape fairly soon after whooting as compared to shooting several tapes and then editing later
<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Mumford : Frank,

It is page 32 that tells about cleaning if the XL2 doesn't work correctly and it refers you to page 110.

On page 110 it does recommend cleaning frequently, however, cleaning tapes are abrasive. Personally, I would only run the cleaning tape when I noticed artifacting or the "Heads dirty, use cleaning cassette" message appears. "Frequently" is a pretty subjective term.

Dan -->>>

Lauri Kettunen March 2nd, 2005 01:31 PM

Re: Cleaning Tape

<<<-- however, cleaning tapes are abrasive. -->>>

This is a bit amusing comment: Back in 97 when my XL1 was brand new, one friend of mine wanted to borrow the camera for a weekend. I forgot the cleaning tape into the case. Now, this friend of mine thought it was just an ordinary tape and recorded half an hour of material to the cleaning tape. Then he rewinded the tape and tried to monitor his footages and fast forwarded the tape several times. After the weekend when returning the camera he told me there may be something wrong with it.

Obviously, I was concerned that the video head was damaged, but now several years later, the video head still creates perfect images and it has lasted much longer than the nominal life cycle. So, perhaps the warning of abrasive cleaning tapes is only meant to protect the producer of the tapes (if somebody uses them like ordinary tapes).