DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon xl2 vs Sony HVR Z1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/41216-canon-xl2-vs-sony-hvr-z1.html)

Muhammad Saeed March 16th, 2005 02:50 AM

Canon xl2 vs Sony HVR Z1

Any body help me
What is the difference between them (canon xl2 vs sony HVR Z1)PAL?
i want to selec one of them.

Thanks

Richard Alvarez March 16th, 2005 07:55 AM

Well, the obvious difference is the XL2 is a standard DV resolution, and the Sony is Consumer High Def. (HDV) The XL2 has interchangeable lenses, the Sony does not. Beyond that, a look at their respective specs on the manufacturer's sites will provide all the low down you could want.

Geoffrey Engelbrecht March 17th, 2005 06:21 AM

The Sony can also do standard DV as well as HDV. But has only interlaced video and has worse low light performance to the XL2. The Sony does both PAL and NTSC in the same model whereas the Canon is sold in either PAL or NTSC models.

Georg Herbet March 18th, 2005 04:58 PM

The PAL/NTSC dual capability is attractive to me, as I split my time betwixt "old europe" and u.s.a.

Geoffrey Engelbrecht March 21st, 2005 01:26 PM

Being an ex-pat Canuck this was a factor in favour for the Sony for me as well.

However I figured I wouldn't use the HD often and felt the progressive mode and low light performance of the Canon gave it an advantage for now.

Muhammad Saeed March 21st, 2005 10:39 PM

Thanks for all coments
it will be helpfull for me

Douglas Robbins March 22nd, 2005 01:14 AM

The big isse for me in choosing the xl2 over the sony hdv camera wasn't the camera per se but rather the fact that because the hdv format is so new there will invariably be all kinds of hassles, difficulties, bugs, gliches, if not outright failures when trying to capture and edit the footage. As a small example, I edit on Final Cut Pro, and Apple doesn't even officially support HDV yet. Lumiere does sell capture software for HDV for Final Cut Pro, but it is reported as buggy.

Mini DV on the other hand is around a decade old and its issues have been well worked out years and years ago.

And then there's the hidden costs of dealing with new technologies that handle higher data rates. That increases your hard drive costs and adds additional strain on your editing system.

So for me it was less about the cameras per se and more about the costs and bugs of dealing with an immature format like HDV. In two years, these editing problems will be worked out and HDV will take off like a rocket. Even I will be on board.

Douglas

Bill Zens March 22nd, 2005 02:33 PM

As I understand it, there is also a problem with HDV cameras handling glitches or dropouts in tape. A dropout in a single frame will cause a 1/2 second problem in your playback. This is due to the fact that HDV uses a 15 frame Group of Pictures (GOP)standard...one bad frame wipes out 15...