DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   'red-eye' wide angle adapters (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/41222-red-eye-wide-angle-adapters.html)

Chris Hurd March 18th, 2005 03:58 PM

Rec'd your email, Kevin -- thanks -- I'm travelling today but will take care of things this weekend. Much appreciated,

Kevin Janisch March 22nd, 2005 04:00 PM

No problem Chris. Tom was included on the email as well but it came back undeliverable.

Tom Hardwick March 22nd, 2005 04:04 PM

Undeliverable?? I'm here, waiting with bated breath.

Kevin Janisch March 22nd, 2005 07:11 PM

Sent it again just now.

Marnie Keefer March 23rd, 2005 08:52 AM

I apoligize if I did not seem to respond to any posts or e-mails directed my way. I am new to discussion groups. Kevin, did you want to ask me something regarding the Red Eye?

Richard J Morris March 23rd, 2005 02:24 PM

Just joined the forum - at Rene Collins suggestion. I have been using a couple of XL1-Ss at work for a couple of years. I need a wider angle than the 3x that I have (in addition to the 2 16x standard lenses) - so today I tried a Red Eye 0.5x on the 3x at Hagues in Nottingham.
Its a nice piece of kit & worked fine (especially for that price) - although I may need to go even wider in future. All I need to do now is get the £200 signed off by my boss.....

Donie Kelly March 24th, 2005 08:47 AM

Red eye with 20x lens

Hi all

I've been thinking of buying the 3x lens as I find I need the wider angles every so ofter. It's exensive and it#'s actually hard to get in Ireland. All the website I know of seem to be out of stock.. have canon stopped selling them?

Anyway, this red-eye would suit me fine I think, I just need somebody who has one to put it on a 20x lens on the XL2 and see what happens. Does it work? Is there a lot of distortion? Which one is better for the 20x, the .5 or the .7? Could we get screen shots with both in full size so that we can analyse.

Many thanks
Donie

Jon Turner March 24th, 2005 12:39 PM

yeah, we're just waiting for the new reviewing team of chris, tom, and don to get it together and post some links!

Kevin Janisch March 24th, 2005 07:16 PM

Tom,

Still no dice, comes back undeliverable a day later. If you have another email I can send it to you there.

Kevin

Rene J. Collins March 24th, 2005 08:56 PM

Hi all,

I've got a back order of the 72 mm right now and will ship two lenses to Don Berube as soon as this current order is filled.

Hopefully you should see some frame grabs in the next week or two.

Thank you all for your interest and will talk to you soon.

Rene Collins
The Red Eye guy

Chris Hurd March 25th, 2005 08:50 AM

Hi Rene,

I've sent you an email regarding this topic. Thanks,

Tom Hardwick March 30th, 2005 09:02 AM

As good as his word, René has sent me the 58 mm 0.5x and 0.7x Red Eye lenses for test. First impressions? Beautifully made, superbly coated and when stacked one on top of the other, give an absolutely amazing field of view. I'll have lots more to say later.

tom.

Arlie Nava March 30th, 2005 09:15 AM

Pls do that Tom, i'm sure many people are waiting for your "review" of the red eye lense. I am wondering if red eye lenses produce less distortion that Century's.

Thanks

Tony Davies-Patrick March 30th, 2005 11:26 AM

Optex also have a 'stacked' system for making that angle a little wider...although there is of course added problems when stacking two adapter optics on the end of multi-element zoom lens...

I'm going to be spending a total of 5-months filming on location in USA this year, and have decided on using the Optex .7X optic (on the 16X manual lens) for a lot of my wide-angle work. However, the Red Eye really has got me interested. Like others, I am not too keen on it being a non-glass element...but if it can deliver the goods, then I'm keen to try it out!

Tony Davies-Patrick March 30th, 2005 11:46 AM

Having now thoroughly read through the reports shown earlier:

http://www.tvcameramen.com/equipment/equipment11.htm

...I cannot honestly see any advantages over the Optex glass - which I've found to be extremely good so far.

I look forward to reading the DV forum reviews or seeing the results with my own eyes, but both reviews on the website - The Red Eye in Lebanon & The Red Eye in Ireland - have slightly dampened my enthusiasm for the Red Eye.