DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Ok, GL2 and XL2 Owners or EXPERTS HELP!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/41607-ok-gl2-xl2-owners-experts-help.html)

Armando Ferreira March 22nd, 2005 11:31 AM

Ok, GL2 and XL2 Owners or EXPERTS HELP!!

Ok, so after seeing some of the amazing quality that the XL2 can create on 24p I am convinced this is the way to go. MY big question, does the GL2 have the same or equal video quality than the XL2 (noticeable) or if you take both camera's and say shoot a similiar scene, would you notice a difference? Now I know that the XL2 has additional features like interchangeable lenses, 16:9, etc... Is the 24p really that much better, does anybody have some footage of the GL2, I haven't really seen to much out there. Or should I bite the bullet and get the XL2, money isnt really an issue, but I figured if its the same thing why not save a few thousands? I wont be shooting in 16:9 so I wouldnt really be needing that, but the 24p does interest me a lot!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Brent Ray March 22nd, 2005 01:02 PM

The XL2 is far superior in quality. However, if you light everything very well and tweak your settings a bunch, the GL2 can look almost just as good. You will be saving quite a bit of money by going the GL2 route, but you will be sacrificing a good number of features that the XL2 has over the GL2. You mentioned a few, but there are many others, such as XLR inputs, color control, a zoom ring, and more.

By no means would I ever consider the XL2 and the GL2 to be "the same thing". You can still get outstanding quality with the GL2, but the XL2 will definitely outperform it any day of the week.

Pete Bauer March 22nd, 2005 01:09 PM

Hi Armando,

To very briefly expand on this as my lunch break is almost over: GL2 has no 24p at all; frame mode is not too bad but doesn't compare to true 30p; XL2 16:9 blows away any other SD camera under $10K. Keyword my name and a camera, and you'll find a lot of other threads with good info as well as links to my web site where I've done various and sundry little tests with both cameras.

Cheers,

Armando Ferreira March 22nd, 2005 02:16 PM

Wow thanks guys! I called up the sponsor here called ZOTZ and ordered the XL2! :D I feel like a kid again, haha I am so excited I can't wait to play around with it. My gut instinct told me to get the XL2. I appreciate the reply's Awesome forum!

Armando

Bill Zens March 22nd, 2005 02:22 PM

Zotz treated me very well. Got my XL2 from him yesterday. Class act there.

Jeff Boeckman March 22nd, 2005 02:37 PM

Congrats Armando and Bill. From recently going through the process I know how that "kid feeling" is. The hardest part is that two-day wait to get it. I followed my tracking numbers whenever I was near a computer.

One note: If you have a puppy, don't leave the box where he or she can get it. It seems as if springer spaniel puppies like xl2's also and chewed my box to shreds.

Late
jb

Armando Ferreira March 22nd, 2005 03:28 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Boeckman : Congrats Armando and Bill. From recently going through the process I know how that "kid feeling" is. The hardest part is that two-day wait to get it. I followed my tracking numbers whenever I was near a computer.

One note: If you have a puppy, don't leave the box where he or she can get it. It seems as if springer spaniel puppies like xl2's also and chewed my box to shreds.

Late
jb -->>>

Yeah, that 2 day wait is KILLING ME!! I almost upgraded to next day air, but I told myself to BE PATIENT... That's all Im thinking about now, I better get back to work and make some money :P