DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Suggestions for Acessories, Tripods, etc. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/46401-suggestions-acessories-tripods-etc.html)

Alex Bornstein June 17th, 2005 04:55 PM

Suggestions for Acessories, Tripods, etc.

Hello!

I am in the market for the XL2 and have been trying to narrow down some solid accessories (and necessities) for this camera. I've got a lot of them figured out, but figured you guys would be the authority on things that really help the camera and other tools which are more for show/aesthetic.

The best way to start I guess is with the tripod: What are some solid models that could support the camera as is and with a matte box and/or follow focus rig? More importantly, is something like a matte box really necessary?

Also, what about a lighting kit? Is a three point system (3000W) sufficient or will having more lights be helpful (I imagine more is better, but if I can get away with three then I'll try and go that route)?

After reading the first couple replies, I feel silly for not mentioning what this was for...sorry! I am getting the camera for Indie filmmaking (documentary and narrative). That's a main reason why the follow focus and matte box appealed to me.

Thanks for your help, and I look forward to chatting with you guys!

EDIT: One last thing, is B&H Photo/Video a viable place to purchase some of this equipment from? I noticed them and EVS on the sponsor site so it seems to me they're the best bet.

Wes Coughlin June 17th, 2005 05:32 PM

I like to Bogen/manfrotto tripods; their more expensive, but way worth it. Just make sure it says it can hold up 8lbs or so.

Michael Salzlechner June 17th, 2005 07:08 PM

Alex

a lot of this depends on what you are planning on doing with it

You definately need the camera of course.

Extra batteries and an extra charger or maye an anton bauer battery system
Head phones to monitor audio
on camera LCD monitor
tripod and head
LANC controller
microphones
cleaning tape
cables
Mini DV deck
bag/case
raincoat
follow focus
extra lenses
EF adapter

but like i said a lot of these things depend on what you are planning on shooting whether you need them and if which ones would be best

Rainer Hoffmann June 19th, 2005 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Bornstein
a matte box and/or follow focus rig? More importantly, is something like a matte box really necessary?

Well, it may not be really necessary. The lens hood that comes with the lens will do the job. But...

- a matte box can be equipped with a french flag and side wings which give you even more control over stray light

- a matte box usually comes with two filter stages, one of them rotating (e.g. for a polarizing filter). Changing filters is much more convenient than screwing them on the lens.

I just got the follow focus rig for the 16x manual lens. I haven't used it in a real project so far, but I'm going to love it. Pulling focus really is a joy with this rig and, what's even mor important: it eliminates most of the vibrations that result from touching the lens barrel.

A matte box and follow focus may not be really necessary but they can make your work more enjoyable. They are expensive accesories but they'll outlive your camcorder by years (or even decades).

Alex Bornstein June 19th, 2005 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer Hoffmann

A matte box and follow focus may not be really necessary but they can make your work more enjoyable. They are expensive accesories but they'll outlive your camcorder by years (or even decades).

Would it be wise to wait for that new gear from Chrosziel which seems to eliminate the zoom lever running into the follow focus rig?

Rainer Hoffmann June 21st, 2005 12:31 AM

Well, the gear is available already and I guess Chrosziel will ship a bunch of them to ZGC, B&H and the other retailers. But yes, make sure you get the correct gear.

Bob Pennington June 21st, 2005 08:25 AM

Accessories for XL-1/XL-2

http://www.abcdv.com/article/articleview/115/1/32

Robert Luke June 22nd, 2005 12:19 AM

I have
The HC-3200 (the hard case by canon
The 3x wide angle lens
batteries (duh)
filters. they're not the canon ones, but just so long as they fit,
cleaning tape,
lens cleaner
the VL-10, video light, requires a 900 series battery, i put the 915 battery on it, cuz it's the only one that didn't look silly. and i got it for half off with my discount at work.

the tripod i have is by davis and sanford, for 200 bucks from b&h. i might put a different head on it cuz the twisty thingies run into nonmoveable parts

lowel light kit

azden sg-mx2 and to boom it i got a long fishpole from studio1productions.com but replaced the shock mount with the cheap one from b&h.

and i'll count my girlfriend, raquel as an accessory cuz she helps hold stuff and that's useful.

oh yeah almost forgot, about the matte box. kinda interested in getting one. either by century optics or chozziel. i think chozziel looks cooler but it's an expensive one.

and yes i have spent more money on my camera than my car.

Jay Gladwell June 22nd, 2005 05:25 AM

Do not skimp on the tripod and head. When done right, it could cost as much (or more) than the camera. Try a search, you'll find there's plenty on the forum, here, about tripods.

Jay

Robert Luke June 22nd, 2005 11:29 AM

the davis and sanford one is surprisingly really good. it's the head that sucks. i expected it to be a normal size tripod (normal being like 80 dollar velbon) but it was huge.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=336006&is=REG

it used to have a picture.
if i ever figure out how to post pictures online i'll post the xl2 rig on whatever forum that was on a while ago.

Declan Smith June 22nd, 2005 11:35 PM

Matte Box

I have the fujinon 16x manual lens (Optex modified). Anyone recommend an affordable matte box with flags / rails + followfocus for this setup ? Also would like to use the matte box for the 20x standard lens.

The fujinon lens is 62mm and has a rotating end hence need a matte box on rails, whereas the 20x is 72mm. Not sure if this makes a difference.

Tracy Graziano June 23rd, 2005 01:47 PM

tripods

You know, if you or someone you know is a student, Bogen offers 50% off their new tripods. I got a $900 head for 1/2 price (mwaa ha ha...)

Of course, Miller or Oconner or Satchler (sp?) are great tripods, but very expensive. I think most legs are ok second-hand, but I would hesitate to buy a head second-hand. My school did this and all of the heads slipped after a tilt or pan. Bad news with any long lens work.

good luck!

Tripp Stapleton June 23rd, 2005 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer Hoffmann
Well, the gear is available already and I guess Chrosziel will ship a bunch of them to ZGC, B&H and the other retailers. But yes, make sure you get the correct gear.

Just a little bit more info on the Chrosziel Follow Focus rig and gear and how it blocks the zoom lever on the Canon 16x Manual Lens. I've got ZGC & 16x9 Inc (16x9 seems to be a direct USA Chrosziel distributer) in the process of contacting Chrosziel to find out what the availability is for the larger diameter gear which won't block the lever. In the mean time, here was the initial respionse from 16x9:

"This is a common problem. To use the follow focus with this lens, the zoom stick must be unscrewed out. Most people do not realize that the zoom stick is removeable. It will be a bit stiff if it is the first time you are removing it as they put an antivibration non permanent thread lock fluid on it."