DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Editing Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/47248-editing-software.html)

Eric Lochstampfor July 5th, 2005 03:03 PM

Editing Software

Hey guys, my first post so sorry if this has been asked and answered elsewhere on the forum.

I am looking into getting an XL2 but wondering what a good affordable editing software package you guys could recomend. I've worked with Avid Media Composer and Express at my job, but for my own work I just need something for my laptop that can capture from the XL2 with a firewire connection. Don't need tons of bells and whistles onit either, just basic transitions with a few effects, solid audio editing capabilities and a good title tool (though most titles I perfer to make on Photoshop.)

I looked into Priemere but their website said it only provided "coditional support" of the XL2 so I was looking at Edius and Pinacle also. Price IS a factor so I am looking to get the most bang for my buck.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

E

Patrick King July 5th, 2005 03:10 PM

Eric,

I'm a 'dyed in the wool' Vegas user, but (and this is heresy for me), I think you should look at Avid Express or Avid Free for your personal laptop.

Why learn another user interface? Most modern tools do about the same things. Edit for pleasure with the one you get paid to edit with!

Or buy Vegas because its better than all the others! ; )

Jay Gladwell July 5th, 2005 04:42 PM

I would seriously recommend Vegas, too. Download the trial version and try it out for a few weeks. Very powerful. Best video codec. Audio capability second to none. Great support forum. Reasonably priced.

Jay

Richard Alvarez July 5th, 2005 04:51 PM

Eric,

The VEGAS users are probably the largest group on this board, so expect to hear a lot of recomendations for them. It's a good program.

I cut on Avid too, XpressPro, and find it rock solid and reliable. If you really need nothing but 'bare bones'. AVID Free DV is free to download. But it is VERY bare bones... can't beat the price. Otherwise, XpressDV is cheaper than Pro, and leaves you room to upgrade.

Or, learn a new interface by downloading demos of Vegas, Premiere, etc.

Have fun.

Chris Wilkerson July 27th, 2005 12:55 PM

I'd have to agree that you should stick with Avid if that is what you are use to dealing with. For the longest time I used Avid at work and Premiere at home...but eventually it started bothering me that I had to switch my brain into premiere mode when I wanted to do something at home, so I broke down and bought Avid Xpress Pro. If you qualify, go for the academic version of Xpress Pro or XpressDV. They go for under $300, and it doesn't sound like you need any of the 3rd party plugins that come in the retail package.