DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Buying XL2 on Friday, just a couple Q's (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/47277-buying-xl2-friday-just-couple-qs.html)

Steve Interrante July 6th, 2005 08:54 AM

Buying XL2 on Friday, just a couple Q's

Hey guys,

If anyone could take a sec to answer some simple questions, I'd appreciate it. I'm purchasing on Friday and begin shooting on Monday. Bad plan already, I know, but what can you do?

Anyways...

I was wondering about battery life. I assume the battery it comes standard with isn't extremely powerful. What would be my best bet on a good battery that won't die on me in the middle of the shoot.

Also, do I need a special adapter to plug the camera staight into our generator and not have to worry about battery? This would actually be more beneficial.

Now here's a question only a nervous newbie could ask... in shopping around the XL2 accessories, I've run into a couple Tripod Head adapters. Does the XL2 require special hardward to function with most tripods? We're planning on buying a pretty good tripod (or one worthy of supporting such a camera), but I just want to make sure I'm not purchasing a new coat stand.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but am certainly glad to be part of the community.

Steve

David Lach July 6th, 2005 09:18 AM

I can recommend the Power 2000 BP-945 Lithium-Ion batteries (6000mAh) from B&H. I have 2 and they will each last 3-4 hours in normal conditions. Having used them for several months, I feel comfortable saying they are as reliable as it gets.

The XL2 already comes with a power adapter, which you can in turn plug into any household type of outlet to power the camera.

The XL2's tripod mount is standard (1/4" threading + locking pin hole). Any tripod with that type of plate will do, which isn't to mean that ANY tripod will give you good results. I cannot recommend the Vinten Vision 3 enough if you have the budget. I wake up at night to love that thing.

Steve Interrante July 7th, 2005 08:54 AM

Thanks for the response David. I really appreciate it.

Steve

Greg Boston July 7th, 2005 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Lach
I can recommend the Power 2000 BP-945 Lithium-Ion batteries (6000mAh) from B&H. I have 2 and they will each last 3-4 hours in normal conditions. Having used them for several months, I feel comfortable saying they are as reliable as it gets.

The XL2 already comes with a power adapter, which you can in turn plug into any household type of outlet to power the camera.

The XL2's tripod mount is standard (1/4" threading + locking pin hole). Any tripod with that type of plate will do, which isn't to mean that ANY tripod will give you good results. I cannot recommend the Vinten Vision 3 enough if you have the budget. I wake up at night to love that thing.

Ok David, kind of freaking us out here with that last sentence. (grin)

-gb-

David Lach July 7th, 2005 11:04 AM

he he, don't worry Greg it's a very platonic kind of love, like a mother for her child. ;-)

Dan Mumford July 7th, 2005 07:30 PM

I don't know your financial situation, but, if you can afford it get an Anton Bauer battery system. B&H has a special deal with the XL2 and AB combo. The HyTron 50 will give you about 7 hours of power.

About the generator. I'd be very careful about plugging into a generator. Be aware of power surges. I have a Honda ie3000 which has an inverter to protect electronic equipment but it cost me $1,800.00 a couple of years ago. You might want to use a surge protector but I'm not sure how well it would work without a true ground. My Honda has a way to connect to ground via wire to any metal rod or pipe driven into the ground.

Dan

Matthew Nayman July 8th, 2005 06:24 AM

If getting two bp 945's, also get the dual charger. You can latch it on to the back of your XL2 and hold both batteries. Somehow it also seems to extend batterly life (i dunn0 how? Probably my imagination)

But I have been a on a 9 hour shoot, and then went elswhere ot film for an hour, and didnt need to change the batts.

Steve Interrante July 9th, 2005 10:14 AM

Just wanted to thank everyone for your help. Went in and bought the cam yesterday from B and H. Doing a lot of testing now, but enjoying the hell out of it.

Thanks again...

Steve

Greg Boston July 10th, 2005 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman
If getting two bp 945's, also get the dual charger. You can latch it on to the back of your XL2 and hold both batteries. Somehow it also seems to extend batterly life (i dunn0 how? Probably my imagination)

But I have been a on a 9 hour shoot, and then went elswhere ot film for an hour, and didnt need to change the batts.

It runs the batteries in parallel so that they share the load current. This lowers the discharge rate of each battery so they last longer. It's not your imagination, it's Kirchoff's law of current flow in a dc circuit.

-gb-