DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Connecting XL2 to Digital TV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/47317-connecting-xl2-digital-tv.html)

Mark Cheline July 7th, 2005 07:41 AM

Connecting XL2 to Digital TV

I would like to connect my XL2 to my 16:9 monitor directly via its DVI or HDMI input. In a perfect world, I could buy a firewire > DVI cable or adapter, but there seems to be no such thing. What are some possible solutions? This seems like a very obvious application to me.

Jay Gladwell July 8th, 2005 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Cheline
I would like to connect my XL2 to my 16:9 monitor directly via its DVI or HDMI input. In a perfect world, I could buy a firewire > DVI cable or adapter, but there seems to be no such thing. What are some possible solutions? This seems like a very obvious application to me.

The type of connections on the TV will determine your options.

Jay

Mark Cheline July 14th, 2005 10:25 AM

As stated in the original post, my digital options are DVI and HDMI. I want to come out of the XL2 using firewire and get into the TV using one of these inputs.

Jeremy Davidson July 14th, 2005 11:21 AM

Canopus box maybe?

This is a shot in the dark, but maybe it'll help. The Canopus ADVC-300 will convert DV to component video. It's not quite what you were looking for, but it was the closest thing I saw on B&H ($480).

Jon Bickford July 16th, 2005 04:30 AM

i use a $150 progressive scan dvd recorder with a firewire input then that uses component outs to the tv, that's as close as i've been able to get, all new digital tvs should have a firewire input right on the front but very few do unfortunately

Paul Matwiy July 16th, 2005 11:55 AM

Firewire to TV

The Firewire out of any camera or DV device uses a transport protocol to carry the signal. It is not a program stream. The receiving device must have the appropriate codec to convert the image back into video. Don't know if TVs equipped with 1394 jacks actually have this. I suggest (as below) a DV D/A converter like the Canopus, or a digital VCR/HDD recorder as these will have the DV codec usually built in.

Boyd Ostroff July 16th, 2005 03:07 PM

That's quite a good price for a DVD recorder with firewire Jon! I also send firewire from my camera to a Sony DVD recorder which sends component video to a widescreen monitor. Works very well, but cost me a lot more than $150 when I bought it a couple years ago :-)

Greg Boston July 20th, 2005 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Matwiy
The Firewire out of any camera or DV device uses a transport protocol to carry the signal. It is not a program stream. The receiving device must have the appropriate codec to convert the image back into video. Don't know if TVs equipped with 1394 jacks actually have this. I suggest (as below) a DV D/A converter like the Canopus, or a digital VCR/HDD recorder as these will have the DV codec usually built in.

Very true Paul. I found this out when getting the bright idea of using my Pana 953 attached to my 2002 model HDTV via the 1394 inputs on the rear. Indeed, it only understands MPEG2 protocol over the firewire going in and out of the tv. It sees my camera, and will control the transport functions but will not recogize the DV stream. Likewise, the camcorder doesn't understand what to do with MPEG-2 coming in the firewire connector which is all the tv will output. I like the idea of a DVD recorder acting as a pass-thru device. Even component video will be cleaner than using the s-video input which is what I currently use to direct connect the camera to the tv.

-gb-

Mark Cheline July 21st, 2005 07:12 PM

Thanks, all. That gives me some options. I'm still surprised that there is not a solution that is native to both the camera and the TV. Someday...

Marco Wagner July 27th, 2005 01:42 PM

Could you just not use the AV inputs and AV outs fromt he camera vs the DVI or HDMI?