DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   16x9 Footage from XL2 and Xl1s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/48807-16x9-footage-xl2-xl1s.html)

Chris Day August 4th, 2005 03:24 AM

16x9 Footage from XL2 and Xl1s

I need some help,

I am shooting a wedding in a couple of weeks. I have two XL2s and 1 XL1s and I intend to shoot it all in 16x9. I will have 1 XL2 with 3x Wide Angle lens mounted on my Steadicam Flyer, the other XL2 will be set up with wireless mics, the XL1s will be used by the other cameraman to record the wedding.

I am using the steadicam to get all the walking/moving shots by the bride and bridal party at the beginning when she walks in and when the couple walk out of the church and congratulations.

My intention is once the bride has walked into the church. I will then dock my steadicam then switch to the other XL2 with wireless mics to record the wedding (remain inconspicous and discreet). The other camera person will shoot in 16x9 mode on the XL1s.

We have tried to have the wireless mics on the one XL2 then go from the Steadicam to Tripod and back and forth at the end of the ceremony but it was to difficult to get the steadicam balanced in time to record the bride coming out of the church. This was done with quick release plates.

My questions are have other people shot with both XL2 and XL1 in 16x9 then cut the footage together??

How did you find the quality comparison??

I am downloading my footage onto a Canopus DV Storm 2 in widescreen mode at 1024 and 576 pixel ratio has anyone else done this??

The other option is to get another XL2 but that will cost another 7 thousand dollars and that is not really an option at the current time but will be in the next few months hence why I would like to use the XL1s in its place for the moment.

thanks

Chris Day

Mathieu Ghekiere August 4th, 2005 03:55 AM

Couldn't you buy a anamorphic 16/9 adaptor for the XL1s? That would be a lot of cheaper then buying another XL2, and maybe the quality will get closer to the XL2.
But I'm not sure, it's just a suggestion.
Other people will maybe have better options in mind.
What about shooting in 4/3 on the XL2?
Good luck with the project.

Chris Day August 4th, 2005 04:02 AM

The clients want their whole wedding shot int 16x9

Jay Gladwell August 4th, 2005 06:44 AM

Why not just rent another XL2 and add that expense onto the bill?

Jay

Greg Boston August 4th, 2005 07:12 AM

I would also recommend using an anamorphic adapter on the XL1s. Won't cost nearly as much, and will retain the full resolution of the camera. The viewfinder will show a squished horizontal image, but it will look ok when you import into the NLE.

-gb-

Mathieu Ghekiere August 4th, 2005 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Day
The clients want their whole wedding shot int 16x9

Yes, but I meant shooting in 4/3 and then cropping in post.
But, as Greg said, I also think shooting with the XL1s with an 16/9 adaptor would be the best thing probably.
And pretty cheap (in comparison with buying an XL2)

Or, as Jay said, maybe renting another XL2?
Good luck!

Ash Greyson August 4th, 2005 06:03 PM

You can make them match but the XL1s is VERY SOFT in 16:9 mode so you will need to bump the sharpness and take down the sharpness on the XL2. You will also need to set the knee to HIGH and the blacks to PRESS on the XL2. As stated, an adapter will work better than the 16:9 mode but you still will need to make the adjustments I noted...

ash =o)