DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Worried... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/50105-worried.html)

Paul Matwiy August 28th, 2005 01:06 PM

I was an earlier adopter of the XL2 and have seen nothing so far to make me want to switch to HDV. While HDV has a higher resolution, that is offset by the MPEG-2 artifacts and the fact that the color sampling is the same as Mini DV (4:1:1). Perhaps the DVCPro-HD units coming in the future with intraframe compression and 4:2:2 color sampling will tempt me to switch, but so far I'm very happy.

Antony Quintin August 29th, 2005 03:10 AM

good

thats good to hear!!!
I think i have made the correct decision, plus as HD takes off, better cams will start to appear so then i wud consider upgrading to one. As the ones out now are good, but bit more of a gimmic toy, I want to let them do a little more research and develop the new format.

I make tailored productions ranging from weddings, docs, dramas, coverage, parties, sport to music videos, so i think the XL2 is good enough to cope with them. Plus I believe the picture quality, resolution, will meet the needs of the current clients. but obviously as HD TV moves on they may demand productions in that format, but as it stands there is no need.

Ant

Graham Bernard August 29th, 2005 04:06 AM

. .and Antony at the "other" end, I'd trade in my beloved XM2s for an XL2, JUST to get proper 16:9 with the full range of the CCDs being used - PERIOD! . .Oh yeah, don't you also have the option for interchangeable lenses? Well, for my money, and with all the other developments that WILL be happening for HD in the very near future - 6 > 24 months - having your XL2 on your shoulder will give you masses of superb video options. .. Did I read HD takes out 2 stops of light? Or was I applying wishful/envious thinking here?

Grazie

Eric Elliott August 29th, 2005 12:21 PM

I was on a movie shoot this weekend and had a chance to talk to an AD who has a Sony HDV camera. (The shoot itself used an XL1 and XL2 .) He knew all the technical details and gave me a good idea of the format's capabilities. First off, no 24p. Second, you have to use the more expensive, double-coated DV tapes because, unlike regular DV where a dropout means you lose a single frame, when you get an HDV dropout you lose FIVE SECONDS of footage because of the need for the MPEG2 codec to re-sync. It doesn't happen often but what a nightmare that could be!

In his opinion, HDV is at version 0.8 right now. If you're serious about using it for producing professional content it would be best to wait for a couple of years until the format and tools are a couple of generations further along.

Ash Greyson August 29th, 2005 02:22 PM

Classic case of post purchase cognitive dissonance =o) As someone who is entering his 10th year to shoot DV, I can tell you it is my opinion that HDV is bridge technology. It wont be around in 10 years. The barrier for HD is affordable storage, when that barrier is broken (should be 5 years or less) HDV will be pointless.

ash =o)