DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Secondary Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/51014-secondary-camera.html)

Tom Woodworth September 13th, 2005 12:22 PM

Secondary Camera

I currently use an XL2 as my primary camera, but I'm looking for another camera to use as a secondary and back up/emergency camera. I've been doing special events shooting and have done two weddings. I was hoping to use the same batteries i have for my XL2, as I have three of them. I suppose the logical and easiest thing to do would be to buy another XL2 but I don't think my budget could handle that at this point, maximum cost would probably be around the 1,500.00 dollar range right now. I had thoughts of say an XL1 or maybe even the GL1 but don't know much about those cameras at this point. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jay Gladwell September 13th, 2005 12:44 PM

You would have to degrade the XL2 image to match the XL1 or GL2. This defeats having the XL2.

Check around, maybe you can find someone desparate to sell his XL2.

Jay

Tom Woodworth September 14th, 2005 11:14 PM

Secondary Camera

Is there a less expensive camera that matches the video quality of the XL2 available?

Jay Gladwell September 15th, 2005 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Woodworth
Is there a less expensive camera that matches the video quality of the XL2 available?

Nope.

With the XLH1 coming out soon, you'll be able to buy a used XL2 fairly cheap, I'd say.

Jay

Pete Bauer September 15th, 2005 09:23 AM

A cheap second camera is something I considered, too. But alas, I don't believe there is a cheaper camera whose footage can even come close to standing up to the XL2's...you'd have to reduce your picture quality to that of the less expensive camera to mix the footage.

With several HD cameras being readied for market, I agree there may be some downward pressure on the XL2. But my guess is not really that much...If your upper limit is $1500, I think for the forseeable future you're not going to get a new or good-condition used XL2 for anywhere near that.

Marty Hudzik September 15th, 2005 11:42 AM

DVX100 when in 4x3 mode. In 16x9 it falls a little short but it is the closest out there!

Tom Woodworth September 16th, 2005 06:03 PM

Secondary Camera

Has anyone bought and/or used the Sony HDR-HC1 HDV Camcorder? This is a camera I'm seriously considering...more so for the price then the HD capability. So far the only knock against it that I've heard is that the low light capabilities are less then desireable. Thanks for the info and knowledge.

Boyd Ostroff September 16th, 2005 06:24 PM

How about a PDX-10 for $1,800 (until 9/30 when the rebate ends)? No progressive scan, but the 16:9 is very good and you have XLR's.

Kevin Wild September 16th, 2005 07:40 PM

I just finished shooting 2 focus groups with both the GL1 and XL2 simultaneously. FWIW, I also synced them and put them both in DVD SP on different video tracks (same audio). Great way to let a client "live cut" a long meeting like that.

Anyways, I did find that it's VERY tough to match these 2 cameras. The GL1 is MUCH sharper and more video-ey. The XL2 is such a nice smooth picture. I got the white balance close and then color corrected it in FCP. It's really the details in the long shots where you see the most difference.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them together for a wedding or event, though. Just have the GL1 be a more "roving" camera and the XL2 your main camera. I would also recommend that the GL1 stays mostly close in on your subjects. Try not to cut to a similar shot (med shot to med shot of same person) or you'll really see the differences.

If they're lit well, the GL1 puts out a simply amazing picture. I've had mind for 4 years and am still stunned at how good it is with the right light. Amazing camera. I love my Xl2 for pro work, but for simpler point and shoot stuff, the GL1/GL2 are great cameras.

Hope it helps.

Kevin

Tom Woodworth September 16th, 2005 08:44 PM

Secondary Camera

Good informatio Kevin. It's one thing to read all sorts of reviews, but I also like to hear from people who have actually done what I'm considering doing. In any case, my dilemna is two fold I suppose. Cost is a factor and uniformity is a consideration. Can anyone tell me whether or not the XL1, GL1, and/or the GL2 use the same battery as the XL2? I'm considering Sony HDR-HC1 HDV, however having to shell out more money for a better battery and external charger is an issue. I also can't find an answer to an odd question of sorts. Although having an HD camcorder would be great, at this time and for the short term future, I would want to edit the video so the output (final cut DVD) was SD. If that is possible with the Sony HDR-HC1, I'd also like to address the "matching" of video quality between HD (degraded to SD) and video shot originally in SD. In other words even if I could edit in SD from the HDR-HC1 would I still be faced with the problem of having to "degrade" the video form the XL2? Thanks again for the information and feeback...it's a tough decision due to tight finances but I've got to make the decision sooner rather then later.

Kevin Wild September 17th, 2005 09:10 AM

Yes, the GL1, GL2, XL1, XL2 and the new H1 ALL use the same batteries. While we sometimes gripe about Canon not changing things up enough, they are very good at making things compatible within their line.

I wouldn't worry about "degrading" the XL2 shot much. I would never do that during production. Get the best video you can with both cameras. If you need to skew the picture a bit in post, do it then. The one thing I did to make them match was turn the sharpness UP on my XL2. The GL is much sharper (though you can adjust that, too) where the XL2 is smoother.

You'd be fine with these 2 cameras. One nice side is that you can use the GL1/2 for home video stuff. It's so compact and still does a great job.

Good luck.

Kevin

Tom Woodworth September 17th, 2005 09:51 AM

Secondary Camera

Great stuff Kevin. I do want something smaller and more compact then the XL2 as a secondary camera. I once used footage from a Canon ZR45 mixed in with footage from my XL2. There was of course a difference but in the end the project looked fine to everyone who saw it. Granted no one viewing was a "videophile" or "video expert", but no one made mention of any terrible quality flaws. Anyway, of the smaller, less expensive cameras which would you choose yourself? Is there any video quality difference between say, the GL1 and GL2? Thanks again for the info.

Kevin Wild September 17th, 2005 11:42 AM

I haven't used a GL2, but from what I know, it was mainly features that were difference and not anything to do with image. (Someone pipe in if I'm wrong with that please!)

I would HIGHLY recommend the GL1 or GL2 if your main camera is a Canon. Your ability to get the looks closer to matching are much better using the same camera line/maker. I would guess you could get a GL1 pretty cheap these days used...or if you can wait a few months, I would bet you'll be able to get a very cheap GL2 when Canon announces an HDV camera...GL3. Speculation only and no date is set, but they are WAY due for a rev to the GL2 and it would almost HAVE to be an HDV camera.

Kevin

Tom Woodworth September 17th, 2005 02:47 PM

Secondary Camera

What do you speculate the price range will be for the "GL3?" Also have you bought used equipment before, and if so have you bought from someone/somewhere on the net that you would recommend? Thanks again.

Bruce S. Yarock September 17th, 2005 02:51 PM

I have a gl1, which I kept atfer buying my xl2. The gl1 has an incredible image right out of the box.If you leave the xl2 in 4:3,and stick to the standard preset look on the xl2, you can easily match the gl1 for a second camera.It's fairly easy to use in manual also.
When I first started using the xl2 (and first started shooting in manual), I was bummed out because the gl1 looked just as good.But then I learned more about manual, and custom presets...
Bruce S. Yarock