DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Mounting lights on XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/51179-mounting-lights-xl2.html)

Joe Norzlan September 16th, 2005 02:31 AM

Mounting lights on XL2

Hi,

I would like to seek advice here.

Currently I am planning to buy video lights which can be mounted on my XL2. I have looked through the internet and the best match I can find is the Canon VL10. I have read reviews and some of the users says that it is not bright and does not cover enough distance.

I would like to know whether is there any better lights out there. Pls also specify where I can purchase it.

Thank you.

Joe Norzlan

Michael Lopresti September 16th, 2005 04:34 AM

i cant help you with the VL-10

but i do have the VL-3 and its not very bright, i mean up close it can be alright, but at a distance VL-3 isnt very good.

i know it doesnt help you on your question, but i thought i steer you away from the VL-3 incase you were gunna look at it.

cheers
Mike

Jay Gladwell September 16th, 2005 06:09 AM

There are scores of on-camera lights out there that will work on the XL2. Do a web search.

Jay

Robert Luke September 16th, 2005 09:49 AM

the vl-10 works very good.it really doesn't have distance but i can't image any light having distance without turning night into day time. it's a good light to use. it just doens't work out if you have a matte box. i also have the vl-3 wich is very piss-poor for the xl2. it's not very bright and casts a shadow from the microphone on the lower right hand corner, wether you're in 4:3 or 16:9.
the vl-10 is awesome. i use it a lot in clubs if that makes any difference. the only thing annoying is that you have to put a 915 battery on it and those can run 60 bucks if you dont have an employees discount at a camera/electronic store. a bp911 series battey also works if you're oldschool enough to have one.

Bob Pennington September 16th, 2005 11:07 AM

Using higher voltage

Take a look at this setup, http://www.abcdv.com/article/articleview/115/1/32

the advantage of using a higher voltage battery allows you to use professional accesories, most of which require voltage above the 7.2 volts that the XL-1 or XL-2 uses.
Now you can standardize on a battery system that can power your camera for extended periods, run lights, hard disc recorders, wireless recievers and LCD monitors all from the same battery system.

Joe Norzlan September 19th, 2005 12:35 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and your help. Really appreciate that.

Bob, I have looked at the website that u recommend. Its useful to me.

Cheers.

Bruce S. Yarock September 19th, 2005 08:16 AM

When I first got my XL2, I also bought the Canon vl 10, which I used for a couple of shoots. It's not bad for a 10 watt light, but is limited. I then bought a 50 watt frezzi "mini fill" with dimmer and attachable softbox. the Frezzi set up is expensive, but will do just about anything an on camera light can do.
I'm powering it with an Anton Bauer dionic 90, but there are cheaper ways to go.
Good luck
Bruce S. Yarock

Michael Padilla September 19th, 2005 08:44 PM

Vl-10

I find this light more than acceptable for the money; considering it costs close to nothing, also considering you already have extra batteries to power it like I did.

I find this has a very short lighting area; not very long, and not very wide. It's a spot light, and its very harsh on the eyes of people looking into it. I found that without a diffuser its unbarable and you'll have people pissed off at you. So I went to a fabric store and bought some 100% white nylon and folded it twice and taped it to the front of the light. Unfortunetly this restrics some light, but its needed!

For the money the Vl-10 is Great and convienient (no big acid battery); but if you have the money to spend on really good lighting, go for the frezzi all the way.

Bruce S. Yarock September 19th, 2005 08:50 PM

Michael,
I like the "nylon" idea. I used a piece treated paper with a rubber band holding it on for a difuser on my vl 10. It worked, but as you said, it limited the light.
Bruce Yarock

Joe Norzlan September 20th, 2005 09:45 PM

Hi Bruce and Micheal,

Thanks for the info.

I have alreday bought the video lighting, you may see it here http://www.adorama.com/BOMPL313X.html

Now the problem is that, I can feel the heat source coming out from the light is very hot and it even heated up the barn door. I am really concern about the mic sponge. Will it burn or deform it?

I can see also that the light is harsh and unbearable for people to look at. I am not quite sure whether putting a nylon fabric and tape in front of the light would help coz of the heat . Any help and comments?

Michael Padilla September 20th, 2005 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Norzlan
Hi Bruce and Micheal,

Thanks for the info.

I have alreday bought the video lighting, you may see it here http://www.adorama.com/BOMPL313X.html

Now the problem is that, I can feel the heat source coming out from the light is very hot and it even heated up the barn door. I am really concern about the mic sponge. Will it burn or deform it?

I can see also that the light is harsh and unbearable for people to look at. I am not quite sure whether putting a nylon fabric and tape in front of the light would help coz of the heat . Any help and comments?

Ok, here's what I know...
a 35w light will get hot, hot enough to feel when very close, and absolutly don't touch it, the barn doors will get very very hot as well. I don't think that should be a problem concerning the mic however.

As for the diffusion...my suggestion is that either use it with the supplied filter and/or configure the barn doors to bounce light or purchase a soft box that will clamp onto the light, there are several companies that make them and they will be expensive, perhaps as expensive as the light itself, if not more.

There is another option, that is get nylon like I did for the vl-10 and fold it as many times as needed, then tape it to the barn doors when extended infront of the light. This would be a much cheeper alternative, and its the same fabric that the expensive soft-boxes use. Warning: Be sure to buy 100% fireproof nylon. And that should give you a nice light!

Hey do you have to use an external acid battery with that light?

Joe Norzlan September 21st, 2005 12:24 AM

Hmmm...I'll be getting one of those fireproof nylon. Seems like a great idea and I cant wait to test it on my lights.

Yes, I have to use an external acid battery with that light. It is very heavy and almost the same weight as the xl2. As for me, I dont mind coz I just put in a backpack and carry it. (nobody knows whats inside..)