DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   rain protector for the XL2(hurricane wilma) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/53422-rain-protector-xl2-hurricane-wilma.html)

Bruce S. Yarock October 26th, 2005 10:01 PM

rain protector for the XL2(hurricane wilma)

I did some shooting in my neighborhood (Pembroke Pines Fl.) during hurricane wilma Monday AM. I must say that it was a harrowing experience. I realized that I really need a rain protectorand would like to know what anyone is using.
We finally got phone service and electricity back up wed. am. There are enormous gas lines ( one of which I plan to shoot tommorrow).Gov jeb says that everything is "under control". Kind of reminds me of gw's famous "mission accomplished".
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Miguel Lombana October 26th, 2005 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
I did some shooting in my neighborhood (Pembroke Pines Fl.) during hurricane wilma Monday AM. I must say that it was a harrowing experience. I realized that I really need a rain protectorand would like to know what anyone is using.
We finally got phone service and electricity back up wed. am. There are enormous gas lines ( one of which I plan to shoot tommorrow).Gov jeb says that everything is "under control". Kind of reminds me of gw's famous "mission accomplished".
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Hey Bruce,

Former North Miami and City of Sunrise boy here now escaping the hell of Florida in favor of 115 degree heat in Phoenix. KATA is where you want to be looking, they have rain covers for about all cams including the XL2. Down there however, especially right now you might have a hard time ordering something in, I spoke to Fedex today about a package that was dropped off last Friday in Lauderdale and they don't even plan on getting back into operation until Friday if not Saturday and very likely all the local stores either don't carry it or are closed.

Best of luck to you guys back home,
MIGUEL

Bruce S. Yarock October 27th, 2005 06:10 AM

Miguel,
Thanks for the reply.Weren't you living in Orlando for a while, or do I have you confused with someone else.
Only 5% of Broward county has electricity. I guess I'm lucky.
Gotta run...thy're holding my spot in the gas line.
Bruce Yarock

Chris Fritsche October 27th, 2005 06:36 AM

Does it have to be a "brand name". I make custom GoreTex outerwear, but I also do other things. I made a cover for my XL2 and GL1. It is fairly easy if you can run a sewing machine. I have shot twice now in a down pour and have had no problems. A little creativity has to be done concerning the lens, as not to get splashed and drips or spots on the lens, but that was fairly easy to over come. It is not a shoulder mount cover, it is more for filming off the tripod, but I have a clear area for viewing the screen and also seeing the buttons and knobs, works good. The one I made for the GL1 is a hand held and we had that thing out in the post hurricane thunderstorms last year in Atl, just grabbing some footage of floods and such. $20 of Gore can go a long way!

Miguel Lombana October 27th, 2005 07:54 AM

Quote:

Miguel,
Thanks for the reply.Weren't you living in Orlando for a while, or do I have you confused with someone else.
Only 5% of Broward county has electricity. I guess I'm lucky.
Gotta run...thy're holding my spot in the gas line.
Bruce Yarock

YEP - Orlando from 2001 thru last December and now Phoenix / Mesa.

Mike Teutsch October 27th, 2005 08:23 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Hi Bruce,

Glad to hear you made it through OK. I am OK too and survived my third hurricane in about 13 months. No major damage this time. I too took footage during and will post some on my site when I get it edited.

I have a Kata cover for my cameras. I am not going to sell it, but you could borrow it for a while and see if it works well for you. I have friends in Sunrise, where I used to live, and I may be bringing them up some gas today or tomorrow. They have generators but can't get gas. Got my power back last night, so not running my generator right now.

If I don't come up there, I can always drop it in the mail to you. So let me know if you want to try it out.

Glad you are Ok, and good luck getting by until the area recovers.

Mike

Greg Boston October 27th, 2005 08:48 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Bruce,

Here's another option. See my review at the link below.

http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article14.php

I have one and it works great.

-gb-

Bruce S. Yarock October 27th, 2005 05:35 PM

Mike,
can you give me a call tonight or before you come down? Thanks
Bruce yarock
954-431-0940

Bruce S. Yarock October 27th, 2005 05:41 PM

Greg,
The cover you bought looks nice. I'm using the fu-1000 monochrome viewfinder and the AB Dionic 90 on the back, and sometimes my Senn g2 wireless. will this cover handle that set up?
Bruce Yarock

Greg Boston October 28th, 2005 05:00 AM

Quote:

Greg,
The cover you bought looks nice. I'm using the fu-1000 monochrome viewfinder and the AB Dionic 90 on the back, and sometimes my Senn g2 wireless. will this cover handle that set up?
Bruce Yarock

I have the FU-1000 and an AB Proformer on the back. It works fine but it is a little more difficult to get the cover on with the b/w viewfinder. As noted in the review, there is plenty of space in the back so you shouldn't have any problems.

-gb-

Bruce S. Yarock October 28th, 2005 05:22 AM

Greg,
Do you have any idea whether the porta brace is any easier to use with the Fu-1000 viewfinder?
http://www.portabrace.com/product_detail_A.php?id=2238
Bruce Yarock

Greg Boston October 29th, 2005 07:31 AM

Quote:

Greg,
Do you have any idea whether the porta brace is any easier to use with the Fu-1000 viewfinder?
http://www.portabrace.com/product_detail_A.php?id=2238
Bruce Yarock

Unfortunately, no I do not. Sorry.

-gb-