DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   looking for appropriate accessories (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/57552-looking-appropriate-accessories.html)

Raji Barbir January 5th, 2006 01:38 PM

looking for appropriate accessories

Hey everyone,

I just bought the XL2!! Ordered it from B&H after debating for a while about risk-taking (ie. eBay, etc).

Now that it's on its way, i need to start thinking about accessories. I'll worry about advanced equipment later (audio, lighting, etc), but for now i'm thinking of 2 things:

1) Camera Bag/Case
2) Tripod

1) The bag or case is my first priority. Will i be ok with just a soft bag? Do i NEED a hard case? Where do i find something suitable (link)? I know B&H is a good place to start, but i don't know what to look for to be sure that the camera will comfortably fit in there. So i guess i'm asking for specific models that would be suitable for the camera.

2) The tripod is also important but not as much of an urgency as the bag. I also need to think about my various options for longer to make sure i get something good. I don't really want to spend more than $300 on the tripod (including the head)... Is that realistic? I don't need a true fluid head, just something i can use to properly support the camera without being worried of an accident and something that'll do decent tilts and pans etc. I personally couldn't feel any difference between the true fluid heads and the regular heads. The salesman just told me the fluid heads will last longer because there's less friction.

Thanks for your time everybaady!

Raji

Dennis Rester January 5th, 2006 02:19 PM

Not an expert but...

Cases:

I have the Tamrac soft Case Model 2249 and so far I love it. It has a notch in the main section for the viewfinder and everything fits perfectly. If I was stacking gear in a car I'd probably get one of the Pelican cases because the Tamrac case is soft and wouldn't be able to handle the weight. I think a lot of folks here use the Pelican 1600 cases which are relatively inexpensive and tough as nails.

Tripods:
I'm using an old broadcast springloaded tripod at the moment and it works OK for still shots but the panning is the pits. You need a smooth head for proper panning so your shots wont be jerky (like mine). The Bogen 503 is a good system but are about 550+ with legs. The Bogen 501 is also an option but I'm not sure how well they work with the heavy xl2. The 501 is around 400 from http://www.evsonline.com .

See Ya
Dennis

Miguel Lombana January 5th, 2006 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Rester
Not an expert but...

Cases:

I have the Tamrac soft Case Model 2249 and so far I love it. It has a notch in the main section for the viewfinder and everything fits perfectly. If I was stacking gear in a car I'd probably get one of the Pelican cases because the Tamrac case is soft and wouldn't be able to handle the weight. I think a lot of folks here use the Pelican 1600 cases which are relatively inexpensive and tough as nails.

Tripods:
I'm using an old broadcast springloaded tripod at the moment and it works OK for still shots but the panning is the pits. You need a smooth head for proper panning so your shots wont be jerky (like mine). The Bogen 503 is a good system but are about 550+ with legs. The Bogen 501 is also an option but I'm not sure how well they work with the heavy xl2. The 501 is around 400 from http://www.evsonline.com .

See Ya
Dennis

Despite the great debate on the 501, I have it on a set of Manfrotto legs and it's solid as a rock and works perfectly, the 503 is just on the edge of what you really need with the XL2.

ml

Raji Barbir January 5th, 2006 04:52 PM

i'm not completely sure if this is what you guys are talking about... but this is what i found for the tripod over at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=D9gwLgbnqG!1424249442?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=222312&is=REG

i'm pretty sure it says this is the 501 head from Bogen... and the legs are Manfrotto but i have no idea if this is a good set of legs or if it's the same model you guys are thinking of.

Frank Moss January 6th, 2006 09:40 AM

Accessories...

make sure you have a filter kit (Tiffen or Hoya) UV, and Circular polarizer.
aside from that I got the 515MVB 2 stage legs (12" - 64" heights) 503 fluid head and 3141 100mm Ball Leveler and MBAG90P 35" Padded Tripod Bag to put it in...
as for the cases I got the Kata CCC-10 for my XL2 and it holds the camera, filters, mics (wireless) and the canon powercable/battery charger. with the accessory plate on.

Douglas Joseph January 6th, 2006 12:10 PM

Hey, Frank. Where did you purchase your filter kit? How much was it, and was it worth it?

Thanks,
D.C. Joseph

Raji Barbir January 6th, 2006 12:47 PM

does nobody have any comments on this tripod? is this just not a good option? It has the Bogen 501 head on it and some manfrotto legs. Will it hold up ok? My criteria as i start in the film/videography direction is just that the camera shouldn't fall over! :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Greg Boston January 6th, 2006 12:56 PM

A friendly reminder from your moderator. I had to edit a couple posts in this thread referring to vendors who are not DVINFO sponsors. The forum policy prohibits this. If you like, send the other person a PM regarding these other vendors.

Thanks for your understanding and congratulations on the new XL-2.

-gb-

Rick Betancourt January 7th, 2006 10:46 AM

501 Head

Raji,
I own the 501. It's a fine head, but It is just OK for the XL-series. It is more suited to a camera that is not so front-heavy. I'm actually in the middle of a search for head with good springs which will prevent the camera from flopping down in a forward dive. I'm seriously considering the 503 at this time. Basically, I would advise against the 501/XL pairing.

Rainer Hoffmann January 7th, 2006 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Betancourt
Raji,
I own the 501. It's a fine head, but It is just OK for the XL-series. It is more suited to a camera that is not so front-heavy. I'm actually in the middle of a search for head with good springs which will prevent the camera from flopping down in a forward dive. I'm seriously considering the 503 at this time. Basically, I would advise against the 501/XL pairing.

I second that!

Personally I think that even the 503 is not appropriate for the XL2. I've got the 519 and it works wonderfully. However, it's not cheap. But, hey, you bought an XL2 and tripod and head should match your camera. Otherwise you won't be happy with your gear.

Mike Teutsch January 7th, 2006 04:21 PM

Again, minimum 503!

I have had the 501 and the 503, and at the same time! You do not want a 501 with the Canon Xl series cameras! The 501 is fluid in name only, where the 503 is a true fluid head, and you need the spring counter balance of the 503 for these cameras. Skimp on the legs before skimping on the head!

Mike

Raji Barbir January 10th, 2006 11:36 AM

thanks everyone for advising me against the 501 head. It looks like i'll be getting myself a 503 head with 3046 or 3182 tripod legs, both of which look pretty sturdy. The only difference seems to be in the way the legs get extended, which could prove very useful... not sure there.

Rainer, i did buy an XL2, but it doesn't mean i have unlimited cash! :D You're right about the equipment having to match the camera though, but that'll have to come in time.

Rainer Hoffmann January 10th, 2006 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raji Barbir
Rainer, i did buy an XL2, but it doesn't mean i have unlimited cash! :D You're right about the equipment having to match the camera though, but that'll have to come in time.

Of course, I perfectly agree. The budget often is the limit and the 319 head is expensive!

I hope you enjoy the fantastic camera you own and do some nice movies.

Raji Barbir January 10th, 2006 12:09 PM

thanks and i hope i make good use of it too. Otherwise, i'll have to have a friend beat me senseless for wasting time, energy and money!