DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Matte Box for XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/58972-matte-box-xl2.html)

Evan Fisher January 23rd, 2006 07:59 PM

Matte Box for XL2

What is the best (biggest bang for the buck) matte box for my XL2? What are you using and why do you like it?

Thanks

Victor Burdiladze January 23rd, 2006 09:23 PM

Chrosziel...

I'd say Chrosziel or Petroff...
I'm trying to rent one if I find a rental place dealing with xl2 4x4 matte boxes in NY.

Doug Boze January 23rd, 2006 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Burdiladze
I'd say Chrosziel or Petroff...
I'm trying to rent one if I find a rental place dealing with xl2 4x4 matte boxes in NY.

He asked for "biggest bang for the buck" and that decisively leaves those two out. Cavision is the one. Neither of the others offers a bellows shade, and that's essential. Sure, the Cavision unit has some foibles and rough edges, but these can be dealt with quite economically.

Victor Burdiladze January 23rd, 2006 10:25 PM

Tiffen maybe...

In that case I'd consider Tiffen also. They recently lowered their prise and you could get a new one around $600. Besides, it is very fast and comfortable to use.

Doug Boze January 23rd, 2006 11:09 PM

The Filterflex? There is no mention of it on their site. I can only find these on eBay, and only from time-to-time. Looks good, but without the bellows or french flag, it's of limited application.

Bryon Akerman January 23rd, 2006 11:12 PM

Actually, isn't the key qustion, "How big's your buck?"

Bryon <><

Evan Fisher January 23rd, 2006 11:23 PM

As big as the average Joe.

I'm just looking for the best value.

You can buy a Porche or a Corvette and get there just as fast in either only one is half the price.

Brian Wells January 23rd, 2006 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan Fisher
I'm just looking for the best value. You can buy a Porche or a Corvette and get there just as fast in either only one is half the price.

Just about any of the cheap matte boxes will be fine, right up until the moment you need to add a wide angle adapter or a tele-converter. Then, you'll need one of the more expensive "wide angle" matte boxes from a major manufacturer. Be sure to check the "outside diameter" of the lens in question to be certain it will fit the "inside diameter" of the matte box you're thinking about buying. Oftentimes the affordable brands have limited application, particularly when you're using specialty lenses. Also, consider the value of rods support when making price comparisons. Hope that helps.

Greg Boston January 24th, 2006 11:03 AM

Century Optics makes a pretty nice widescreen mattebox for the XL2. Saw it at NAB last year. You might want to check their site.

-gb-

Mark Sasahara January 24th, 2006 11:16 PM

I suggest Chrosziel, or Cinetech. They're expensive, but worth it. As pointed out, be sure that if you are adding a wide angle adapter, that the mattebox won't cause vignetting.

I used the Tiffen filterflex, it was pretty good. I'm not sure that they are still manufactured, though. Call Tiffen.

Keep in mind that you may want to use the matte box on other cameras, either rentals, or if you think you might be buying a bigger/better/different camera in the future. A friend uses his Chrosziel for his DVX and for his Bolex. It's worth thinking about/creating your equipment master plan. I think he has to tweak the bracket a bit when switching between the two. The bracket and rods are helpful in making the rig fit other cameras.

Joe Taylor January 25th, 2006 02:49 PM

Arri LMB5 Clamp-On for XL2

I found that Arri's LMB5 clamp-on mattebox that was made for the Zeiss Standard primes works perfectly for both the Canon XL2 Zooms. It mounts quickly and easily and takes the 4x5.6 sized Panavison filters.

Josh Caldwell February 1st, 2006 07:14 PM

I have the CAVISION Mattebox (http://www.cavision.com/matteboxes/4...4x4bellows.htm) and have used it for years. First with my GL1 and now my XL2. It's great. I love it. Sure it'd be nice to have the Chroziel, but not for $2000 or whatever it is.

Douglas Joseph February 1st, 2006 09:18 PM

What's the purpose of a Matte Box?

Vincent Rozenberg February 2nd, 2006 02:03 AM

To put in 4x4 filters for example, or to attach wings on and to have an extended sunshade with a french flag.