DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 Stripped Threads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/59306-xl2-stripped-threads.html)

Matthew Nayman January 28th, 2006 06:58 AM

XL2 Stripped Threads

Well, I have been on of the lucky ones. Nothing has gone wrong with my XL2 for over a year. No dead pixels, no record head problems, no pieces of metal in my EVF. I am very happy with it.

I am not, however, particularly happy with Cavision and the Matte box I bought from them. The screw on the bottom has stripped out the mount on my XL2. A tripod still fits, as the screw is longer, but the matte box keeps falling off because the damn moutning thread is so short.

Any ideas, in Canada, howlong and much it would cost for Canon to swap out the threads?

GAH!

Naymo

Chris Hurd January 28th, 2006 10:56 AM

It should be a relatively quick and painless repair. Why not call Canon, find out and let us know what they tell you? I'm sure a bunch of us will be keenly interested. This sort of thing can happen to anybody.

Matthew Nayman January 28th, 2006 12:25 PM

I shall take that initiative (on monday. I never said I wouldn't procrastinate!)

On a lighterside, I also, just now, broke my CH 910 (the battery clips) so, it's off to the store to buy a new one! HOORAY!

Richard Alvarez January 28th, 2006 12:34 PM

Matt,

How did you break your CH 910??? And, to use an old Texas phrase from my boyhood.

"Son, you're the only person I know who could break a ball bearing..."

Matthew Nayman January 28th, 2006 01:26 PM

Ha ha...

well, you got two bp 945's on there. Then you go two tiny plastic tabs. Then you got the charger with the batteries falling off the counter and onto the marble floor.

Then you have the crying.

Then you have an empty bank account.

It reminds me of the time I broke a ball bearing...

Doug Boze January 28th, 2006 02:38 PM

Matt,

That's very interesting (like, scary, man) about the stripped thread. I was a bit disappointed that the camera plate only attached using the central thumbscrew, and that it stuck so far down you can't attach the Canon tripod adapter to it.

I've been meaning to mount that to the 15mm rod plate, and now I think I'll pick up four M4 socket cap screws and mod the camera plate to attach to the XL-2 using four screws, as Canon intended. Otherwise there is too much torque fore and aft on the camera plate.

I was tweaking the matte box last night, and decided the thumbnut that tightens the bellows rods (the 7mm ones) is too hard to use with my fat digits (lousy primitive digital technology!) If I get a screw about 20mm longer, I can attach a standoff and get the thumbnut far enough out to comfortably use.

Hopefully I can get to the hardware store later today. Make and modify, it's all part of the creative process!

A. J. deLange January 28th, 2006 03:53 PM

There is actually a simple fix for this problem but it's not for the faint of heart. You buy a "helicoil" kit for the size threads you have ruined (1/4" UNC for tripod screws). The kit contains a drill, a tap and the coil. You drill out the old threads, retap with the tap that came with the kit and thread the coil into the new threads. The inside of the coil now becomes a new set of 1/4-20 threads and will accept tripod screws or whatever.

This is done all the time with automobiles and other machinery but I'll be the first to admit that I can't picture myself vising up an XL series camera and going after it with my trusty DeWalt. The visions of slipping with the drill and having it disappear a couple of inches into the guts of the camera are just too vivid.

Matthew Nayman January 28th, 2006 05:23 PM

A.J.,

I am barely confident enough to clean the lenses, much less drill into the tender underbelly.

Cavision really should supply a longer screw (and one where the slot doesn't strip either! That started stripping from day one!)