DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 Won't power up? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/60020-xl2-wont-power-up.html)

Declan Smith February 6th, 2006 11:17 AM

XL2 Won't power up?

I was using the XL2, took 30 seconds of footage, then went back for the next shot and it's dead. No battery will bring it back life. Any ideas ?

Matthew Nayman February 6th, 2006 11:34 AM

Did you...

A: Plug in a firewire while the camera was on?
B: Change lenses while the camera was on?
C: Drop the camera?
D: Try running it off a powersource (wall outlet as opposed ot Batts).

If you did A or B, you could have blown the camera fuse.
If you did C, you obviously could have knocked somehting loose.
If you D, and it still won't work, you did Either A, B or C.

I hope this is helpful. If you didnt do any of these things, I suggest calling Canon for tech support

Declan Smith February 6th, 2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman
Did you...

A: Plug in a firewire while the camera was on?
B: Change lenses while the camera was on?
C: Drop the camera?
D: Try running it off a powersource (wall outlet as opposed ot Batts).

If you did A or B, you could have blown the camera fuse.
If you did C, you obviously could have knocked somehting loose.
If you D, and it still won't work, you did Either A, B or C.

I hope this is helpful. If you didnt do any of these things, I suggest calling Canon for tech support

A - No
B - No, but I had changed the lens over from 20x to 3x and I *ALWAYS* Turn the power selector switch to off before I change lenses.
C - No, but I did move the camera on the tripod to a new position *GENTLY* as always, and I have checked all connectors.
D - No, I was outside, running off the CH910 dual battery, as always.

Out of the above, if anything, I am sure that I heard the camera doing something after I switched it off to change the lens. Is there a minimum period to wait for ? I have done this hundreds of times without issue.

Oh well, the unit is under warranty. Is the fuse user serviceable ?

Matthew Nayman February 6th, 2006 09:09 PM

No, I am afraid the fuse can only be changed at Canon... it might be something else, but ifigured i would put down a list off possibles. I have heard of the lens problem many times... who knows. Did you take the camera from somewhere freezing cold to somewhere rather warm?

Richard Alvarez February 6th, 2006 09:15 PM

declan,
You are describing EXACTLY the problem that happened with my first xl2. I was shooting. Moved the tripod, the camera was absolutely dead. Not even the eject would work. (Tape stuck inside). Sent it off to canon.

Bottom line. They said I 'mismounted' the lens, and replaced the entire ccd block, and the fuse. Despite the fact that I insisted I hadn't and that the lens had been on the camera for eight hours and operating fine, they insisted it was the problem. I paid $650 dollars (US) got the camera back. Powered it up. And it died again.

I sent it in, they ran some tests. Concluded there was a problem with the main circuit board, but 'it seems fixed". I insisted that wasn't good enough, and got a new camera. No refund on the first repair however. The new camera is running fine.

Quick questions. Are you shooting with a FU-1000 viewfinder? I was/am. And suspect that might have been the culprit.

See this thread "eeek My baby she won't wake up"
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...hlight=fu-1000

Declan Smith February 7th, 2006 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
declan,
You are describing EXACTLY the problem that happened with my first xl2. I was shooting. Moved the tripod, the camera was absolutely dead. Not even the eject would work. (Tape stuck inside). Sent it off to canon.

Bottom line. They said I 'mismounted' the lens, and replaced the entire ccd block, and the fuse. Despite the fact that I insisted I hadn't and that the lens had been on the camera for eight hours and operating fine, they insisted it was the problem. I paid $650 dollars (US) got the camera back. Powered it up. And it died again.

I sent it in, they ran some tests. Concluded there was a problem with the main circuit board, but 'it seems fixed". I insisted that wasn't good enough, and got a new camera. No refund on the first repair however. The new camera is running fine.

Quick questions. Are you shooting with a FU-1000 viewfinder? I was/am. And suspect that might have been the culprit.

See this thread "eeek My baby she won't wake up"
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...hlight=fu-1000

Hi

I've been reading that thread. It's almost exactly what has happened to me. I have three weeks left on the warranty. Yes I have the FU-1000 and was using it and the 3x lens at the time.

Interestingly enough, when I got the camera I reported to canon the lens mount has a bit of play in it, about 2-3mm rotation. They said it wasn't a problem, probably because they are able to change the fuses !!!

Anyway, I shall contact them today and try and get it sorted.

Thanks

Richard Alvarez February 7th, 2006 07:34 AM

Declan,

So you, me and Mark all had the same issue with the Fu-1000. That sounds like the place to look. Definately send it in to Canon, WITH the viewfinder and lens.

Declan Smith February 7th, 2006 09:37 PM

It's on it's way back to Canon now. Oh well, get to use my XM2 for a while.

Real pain, I was shooting some timelapse footage from a few different angles, and progress is daily. Won't be able to match XM2 footage, have to setup a whole set of new shots for the XM2 and stick with that for now.

Rodney Compton February 8th, 2006 01:32 PM

Xl2

Hi Mate

Me too - I've had three from my dealer in the UK. Annoyingly, I lost a very good tape that was swallowed by the camera that I could'nt revive from standby.

Rod Compton

Gary Powell February 8th, 2006 10:12 PM

Switching lenses

Has everyone who has experienced this, blown fuse issue, been changing the lens? I have recently gotten the 3X lens and haven't really used it, I've tested it out and it works, but I don't want to go to a shoot and be switching lenses and find my camera won't power back up. Expecially since my warrenty is almost finished. Or have all the people been using the FU-1000 viewfinder when this has happened to them?

I'm just concerned for my camera and wallet.

Rob Lohman February 9th, 2006 12:54 PM

I'm pretty sure I read some other threads with problems with the XL2 and the
FU1000. I'm not sure it was the following thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=38679

Richard Alvarez February 9th, 2006 03:08 PM

Gary,

There are tiny little electricla contacts on the inside of the lens mount on the camera body, and corresponding pins on the lens.

MOUNTING or UNMOUNTING the lens, requires those pins to drag across the contacts. IF you do this with the power on, there's a strong likelihood of frying a fuse. This is clearly stated in Canon's manuals. AND on the body of the camera if I recall. (It's not with me right now)

ASIDE FROM THAT.

At least three of us have had the camera power down, for no 'apparent' reason, and had to have the main fuse/motherboard replaces. All three of us had a FU-1000 in use at the time. Though Canon claimed my problem originallly resulted from a mismounted lens, (which I deny) the SECOND time it failed, there was no lens mounted on it -BUT THE FU-1000 was. Canon replaced the camera, and my new baby has been working just fine for a year now.

CAVEAT - One strange thing I have noticed, twice in the past year. For some inexplicable reason, my FU-1000 will cease displaying 16:9 - flipping the switch between 4:3 and 16:9 does not fix that. Powering down, and powering up does. As I said, twice in the last year... no reason that I know of.

Matthew Nayman February 9th, 2006 10:42 PM

It would make sense that the FU 1000 causes these problems. If I am not mistaken it is a small CRT screen and therefore draws a lot more power than an LCD.

Gary Powell February 9th, 2006 11:17 PM

Thanks Richard. I do power down the camera when I change the lens. I don't own the FU-1000 view finder, and if that is a common link between the three people's experiences then I feel pretty safe changing my lens when I need to.

Thanks again
GP

Declan Smith February 16th, 2006 05:50 PM

Which XL2 Version ?

Ok, my XL2 has been fixed and is undergoing soak testing. One thing that also occured to me is that canon made a change to the XL2 where the film grain button was removed (or functionality ceased). Are the XL2's exhibiting this problem 1st generation or post film grain removal. Were there any other subtle changes made ? My camera has the film grain button. Just a thought.