DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Dubbing of DV tapes to computer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/60347-dubbing-dv-tapes-computer.html)

Joe Norzlan February 10th, 2006 11:07 AM

Dubbing of DV tapes to computer

Hi guys,

I am just curious. I have an XL2 cam and I do occasionally shoot during the weekend. After shooting, I would normally digitizied to the computer from my XL2 directly.

I know this is not a good option. But recently, I came up with an idea of digitized it using a cheap normal 1CCD camcorder.

My question,

1. Does it affect the quality of the video that I shoot from my XL2?

2. Will there be other issues when I digitized it using the cheap 1CCD camcorder?

Thanks.

Nick Weeks February 10th, 2006 02:05 PM

I'm using a JVC GR-D30U as a deck. I bought almost new from eBay... paid about $175 shipped.

Since all its doing is reading the digital data stored on the DV tape, it just transfers it over firewire to your PC or Mac. I haven't noticed any loss of quality, and it saves a hell of a lot of wear on your good camcorder.

I think most everyone else here would agree this is a great way to save about $1200 not having to buy a real deck.

Joseph Andolina February 10th, 2006 11:55 PM

I do the same thing for the most part, I use a cheaper mini-DV camera with no problem, but I can also get a bit paranoid on whether the camera might or might not suddenly eat up one of the master tapes, especially on a paid gig. So I'll use the XL2 ocassionally, depending on the project. I'd rather not...but....

Chris Barcellos February 11th, 2006 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Norzlan
Hi guys,

I.1. Does it affect the quality of the video that I shoot from my XL2?

2. Will there be other issues when I digitized it using the cheap 1CCD camcorder?

Thanks.

1. You are just transfering the 0's and 1's

2. As long as you are shooting is SP, there won't usually be a problem. There are reports that DV shot in the extended length version will not transfer from other cameras.

Joe Norzlan February 12th, 2006 11:01 PM

Thanks everybody...your replies really help me a lot.
Great to hav u guys.

Greg Boston February 12th, 2006 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Norzlan
Thanks everybody...your replies really help me a lot.
Great to hav u guys.

In your original post, you said you do occasional weekend shooting. I think you will be ok with capturing straight from the XL-2 under those circumstances. It's the folks who are shooting several days out of the week that need to consider using alternate decks for capture.

Also, if your capture method is pretty much a straightforward method and you don't shuttle back and forth a lot, the Xl-2 will probably be fine. But having a 1 CCD camera not only gives you a capture device, it gives you a backup camera for any critical shooting jobs you do.

-gb-

Nick Weeks February 12th, 2006 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
But having a 1 CCD camera not only gives you a capture device, it gives you a backup camera for any critical shooting jobs you do.

Yea, the little camera I found on eBay is small enough and light enough I can add it too my other equipment and not even notice its there. It actually takes a pretty nice picture under well lit conditions for the price, so I think it was worth every penny, especially since its easier and cheaper to throw this one out when it does die than to replace the heads on my good cameras