DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   2 XL2 same audio problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/60581-2-xl2-same-audio-problem.html)

Gerald Godbout February 13th, 2006 02:31 PM

2 XL2 same audio problem

We have 2 XL2 one brand new one 8 months old but both have given the same audio problem when play back. The audio has cherps, blips, pings, basically metallic distortions sounds. At first we thought it was only the 8 months old camera, but then the new camera started doing the same thing. We cleaned the heads and checked all the settings. Does anyone have any idea's...

Andrew Khalil February 13th, 2006 04:19 PM

what's your audio source - are you running a line from somewhere, is it something battery powered that could need a new battery, could it be a loose cable?

Also, what are you monitoring with - could it be something to do with your headphones or speakers or interference from something else?

Lastly, if you're listening on a computer, what software did you use and what settings were you on?

Sorry for asking more questions, but hopfully they'll put us on the right track and give you a couple of things to check out.

Miguel Lombana February 13th, 2006 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Godbout
We have 2 XL2 one brand new one 8 months old but both have given the same audio problem when play back. The audio has cherps, blips, pings, basically metallic distortions sounds. At first we thought it was only the 8 months old camera, but then the new camera started doing the same thing. We cleaned the heads and checked all the settings. Does anyone have any idea's...

Got to agree with the other poster, not enough information for an educated answer. So tell us this:

1. What are you recording?
2. How are you recording it?
3. Are your audio settings on auto or manual?
4. Did you check the menu system under audio and see if you had a 12db boost turned on?
5. What types of cables are you using assuming you're running cables into the unit and where are they being connected to (on both ends)?
6. What did it sound like in your headphones?
7. Where did the meters register and what color were they during the recording?
8. Finally as mentioned in the other post by Andrew, what did it sound like on playback on the computer vs. playback on the cam with headphones?

Let us know and we'll see what we can do for you.
Miguel.

Gerald Godbout February 13th, 2006 06:39 PM

1. What are you recording? (Vocals)

2. How are you recording it? (Boom Mic and Regular Mic's)

3. Are your audio settings on auto or manual? (Manual)

4. Did you check the menu system under audio and see if you had a 12db boost turned on? (off)

5. What types of cables are you using assuming you're running cables into the unit and where are they being connected to (on both ends)? (XLR new cables)

6. What did it sound like in your headphones? (Same with digital Noise)

7. Where did the meters register and what color were they during the recording? (Meter's normal only peek into the red just slightly once in a while, the digital noise happens at random)

8. Finally as mentioned in the other post by Andrew, what did it sound like on playback on the computer vs. playback on the cam with headphones? (Here is the funny part on the camera the audio sounds fine. But on every other deck I try the noise appears)

Matthew Nayman February 13th, 2006 08:16 PM

Are you using Sheilded XLR cables? Sometimes interference causes those type of sounds in unsheilded cables. Especially around radio mics or musical instruments.

Gerald Godbout February 13th, 2006 09:05 PM

No its not the cables... What ever is happing has to do with the xl2... The same thing happened to me when I had my xl1s. Same damn digital noise, different locations, different equipment.

I can't believe no one else has had a similar problem. I have use 3 canon's and they have all done it with me. After some use.

Darrin McMillan February 13th, 2006 10:07 PM

Indication

If it's happening on all of your cameras I would hazard to guess that it's not the cameras but a cable/ mic/ tape. The chances of having 3 cameras with identical audio problems would be very unlikely. I would troubleshoot all of your audio equipment with something other then the camera and that way you should be able to isolate the problem.

Leo Pepingco February 13th, 2006 11:51 PM

Quote:

(Here is the funny part on the camera the audio sounds fine. But on every other deck I try the noise appears)

Have you tried putting the tape in some cheap mini DV camcorder as the playback unit and see what happens there.... I've seen batches of tapes do this before.... but a long time ago.

Its rare... I mean VERY RARE, but it happened to a mate of mine when there was a slight incompatability with the tape with BOTH the deck and the camera.

If thats not the problem, you have a serious problem with the mics, or a case of extreemly bad luck.

Gerald Godbout February 14th, 2006 06:25 AM

I know its not the audio gear because we tried different the camera on different gear and when I had the xl1s I had different equipment. But you mentioned Tapes, I use the sony tapes for the most part. Can the tapes be the problem? The xl2 just does not like the sony tapes.

Miguel Lombana February 14th, 2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

1. What are you recording? (Vocals)

2. How are you recording it? (Boom Mic and Regular Mic's)

3. Are your audio settings on auto or manual? (Manual)

4. Did you check the menu system under audio and see if you had a 12db boost turned on? (off)

5. What types of cables are you using assuming you're running cables into the unit and where are they being connected to (on both ends)? (XLR new cables)

6. What did it sound like in your headphones? (Same with digital Noise)

7. Where did the meters register and what color were they during the recording? (Meter's normal only peek into the red just slightly once in a while, the digital noise happens at random)

8. Finally as mentioned in the other post by Andrew, what did it sound like on playback on the computer vs. playback on the cam with headphones? (Here is the funny part on the camera the audio sounds fine. But on every other deck I try the noise appears)

OK great answers, the fact that you're able to hear it in the cans (headphones) means it's on the input (pre-recording). Now let's do it this way, get a 200 dollar Alesis MultiMix at Sam Ash or Guitar Center or your local MI dealer (Musical Instrument), get the mics into that unit first then feed the camera with that output. Keep the EQ flat, don't add anything to it. Set that mixer up for peaks on input and the output to be just into the YELLOW from time to time.

On your cam, bring the outs of the mixer into your XL and set the levels for manual, the peaks should be in the YELLOW, don't get them into the RED at all, in digital RED is distortion not like in the analog world where it's just too hot. Your cam cannot recover that audio when it's in the RED at all. You might also try to switch to AUTO since you're mixing live music which has levels that tend to be all over the place.

It's not the tapes, I use Sony and nothing other, it's level management, you're clipping the inputs.

Miguel

Gerald Godbout February 14th, 2006 12:54 PM

What I meant was listening to the head phones on playback not record.
I'm adding a link to the video that has the noise. It was recorded using the onboard mic. http://www.godboutentertainment.com/...ncegolfDVD.mov

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miguel Lombana
OK great answers, the fact that you're able to hear it in the cans (headphones) means it's on the input (pre-recording). Now let's do it this way, get a 200 dollar Alesis MultiMix at Sam Ash or Guitar Center or your local MI dealer (Musical Instrument), get the mics into that unit first then feed the camera with that output. Keep the EQ flat, don't add anything to it. Set that mixer up for peaks on input and the output to be just into the YELLOW from time to time.

On your cam, bring the outs of the mixer into your XL and set the levels for manual, the peaks should be in the YELLOW, don't get them into the RED at all, in digital RED is distortion not like in the analog world where it's just too hot. Your cam cannot recover that audio when it's in the RED at all. You might also try to switch to AUTO since you're mixing live music which has levels that tend to be all over the place.

It's not the tapes, I use Sony and nothing other, it's level management, you're clipping the inputs.

Miguel

Miguel Lombana February 14th, 2006 01:02 PM

Quote:

What I meant was listening to the head phones on playback not record.
I'm adding a link to the video that has the noise. It was recorded using the onboard mic. http://www.godboutentertainment.com/...ncegolfDVD.mov

Thanks for posting the video, helps a little, couple more questions, was this in 12bit or 16bit and from what I hear, that little 'sizzle' sounds like a clipping audio input and crosstalk between channels. Second question, what course was it, reminds me of Orange County National.

Gerald I have a suggestion for you, contact Steve Gotz a memeber here on the board, he's at : http://dvinfo.net/conf/member.php?u=1252 he's in Clermont and you guys might be able to hook up and see what you can solve using your XL2's. If I was still living in Oakland, I'd get with you myself but I left the area last December to get away from the storms (I'd rather have 118 degree heat than CAT 5 hurricanes anyday!).

Miguel