DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Loose part inside cam body... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/63202-loose-part-inside-cam-body.html)

Lauren Capone March 18th, 2006 11:49 PM

Loose part inside cam body...

the size of a pencil tip judging by the sound. It moves freely within the camera body just behind the tape deck. Slim chance of any outside particle entering the tape deck, but possible. No user error to note. Most likely a tiny camera part that has detached from it's proper fixed place. Camera has operated normally since the piece was identified. Sound familiar to anyone? I opened the tape deck, carefully angled the camera upside down, the piece doesn't drop out. I will send the cam to Canon for this and a hot pixel before the warranty goes at the end of May. I am seeking a more developed opinion about what might be shaking around inside the cam body before it journey's for repair, and for further knowledge regarding the XL2 innards...

Richard Alvarez March 18th, 2006 11:56 PM

My first thought is it sounds like a screw.

Yeah, yeah, "You have a screw loose buddy". And no, my xl2 doesn't sound like that. Just a guess on my part. A screw could come out of a four point mounting, and the part would still function... but having it roll around is a definite bad thing. Send it off to Canon.

Matthew Nayman March 19th, 2006 11:01 AM

I had something rollign around in my cam too, but I don't hear it any more. Maybe it got wedged... oh well., Still works.

Tom Hardwick March 19th, 2006 12:02 PM

Never heard of that on a Canon, but a lot of Panasonic camcorders that employ OIS elements rattle with the power turned off. Soon as power's applied the elements are held firm, but your cam has the better VAP OIS, so it needs looking at I fear.

tom.

James Holman March 19th, 2006 12:31 PM

Lauren,

I agree the culprit is probably a screw loose inside. One of two things will happen, the screw will jam in a place where there will be no trouble, like on some double sided tape, or it will eventually find a place on some board to short out and blow a fuse. Of couse thge piece could just be a plastic tab that broke off the housing which is no big deal unless it finds it's way into the tape mech.

Either way, have a qualified person take a look at it, if it's a screw or plastic tab, it shouldn't take much to remove or replace it.

Loose screws or broken housing tabs are not all that uncommon, even under normal use.

Jim

Lauren Capone March 20th, 2006 11:48 AM

Thank you for the replies...

It sounds like a screw or a plastic tab. Though I myself won't perform the removal surgery, I would like to be more familiar with the inner workings of the cam. Any info available?