DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   new camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/64026-new-camera.html)

Dale Guthormsen March 30th, 2006 09:13 PM

new camera

Good Evening,

I am basicly new to the list as I have been hanging out on the gl2 forum.

I purchased a new xl2 to use in my wildlife videography. So, down the road you may be receiving some basic management questions.

I also purchased the camera through a sponsor of DV info Net.

Dale

Chris Bottrell April 18th, 2006 03:21 PM

Congratulations on buying the best Mini Dv camera ever made!

May need a bigger lens though for the long shots, as you know some animals wont get too close!

Dale Guthormsen April 21st, 2006 07:33 PM

xl2

Well, after a couple weeks filming I have to say that I am more than impressed with the xl2. I do see clearly nicer footage than I got off of my gl2!!

It is an amazing camera. I filmed a dolphin from 50 yards, zoomed in and clearly got its eye and it had nice clean edges and great color!!!

I just wish I knew exactly what all the presets did and offered for enhanced footage.

Patrick King April 21st, 2006 08:30 PM

Dale,

You already know how great DVinfo is if you've been participating in the GL2 forum here. The XL2 forum is just as great.

When I first got my XL2, I started with the oldest thread in the XL2 forum and read forward. It was time consuming, but on quite a few occasions I'd have to stop reading, power up my XL2 and try out something I'd just read because even though I'd read the manual from copyright to closure, I read stuff here that wasn't in the manual.

I feel like I got a free education on my cam that I would've had to pay a lot for if it was bound in a book.

If you haven't played with Steve Duke's Blue Barn Pictures Preset Manager, its fun and free. And Chris has posted a few presets to get you started, with a few more scattered through the XL2 forum.

This is definately the place to get your questions answered, it certainly has been for me.

Marko Urbic April 22nd, 2006 09:00 AM

I would very much recommend watching the XL2 feature tour, cause it's very well made and gives you lots of tips.

http://dvcreators.net/media/demos/xl...aturetour.html

Dale Guthormsen April 23rd, 2006 10:36 PM

ideas

Thanks for the suggestions.

I get on the list whenever I can and search for information.

I went to the xl2 tour and it does not seem to want to run for me, all I get is the quicik time logo in the middle.

Having the gl2 first was a good background for the xl2. I really like the TV mode and use it alot when filming wildlife.

the manual is really quite poor. It would be great if someone wrote an article explaining just what the presets arre capable of doing for your images and how to best take advantage of them.

I use the blue barn preset program and it is a real gem!!! I am starting to run tests on various preset scheemes. I will keep notes and if they prove of value I will post the information later. Problem is finding the time!!!

Adam Bray April 24th, 2006 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen
the manual is really quite poor. It would be great if someone wrote an article explaining just what the presets arre capable of doing for your images and how to best take advantage of them.

Tinker around a little and see if you can get that quicktime video to work. It's a great little video that explains all the functions of the camera and shows you in what situations you would use them and how it looks. In fact, sometime this week I would probably watch it a few times and write down notes to keep in my carry case and use as a sort of "Cliff Notes".

Mathieu Ghekiere April 24th, 2006 07:38 AM

Hi Dale,

maybe you should have more patience for the quicktime video. I don't remember exactly, because it's been a long time ago since I saw it, but I remember it being pretty long in length, so maybe it just loads very slow?