DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Lens question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/64827-lens-question.html)

Andrew Farrell April 11th, 2006 04:10 AM

Lens question

Being relatively new to this and all I have a question about the XL2 (XL series as whole I suppose) and how the zooming function works. Looking at ENG style cameras and their lenses the hand grip it connected to the lens which has the zoom mechanism in it and work on the geared lens.

But how does the XL series zoom? Is there a small motor inside that adjusts the glass for the zoom or what?

Thanks in advance

Mike Teutsch April 11th, 2006 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Farrell
Being relatively new to this and all I have a question about the XL2 (XL series as whole I suppose) and how the zooming function works. Looking at ENG style cameras and their lenses the hand grip it connected to the lens which has the zoom mechanism in it and work on the geared lens.

But how does the XL series zoom? Is there a small motor inside that adjusts the glass for the zoom or what?

Thanks in advance

Andrew,

Your are exactly right. The zoom and focus are both controlled by servo motors. The external rings for each simply activate the motor, no direct control. There are manual lenses like the 14x and 16x that allow manual control. You do give up the image stabilation with the manual lenses, and the IS in the Canon lenses is great! There is always a trade-off.

Mike

Matthew Nayman April 12th, 2006 06:41 AM

I thought manual 16X had IS, no autofocus

Tony Davies-Patrick April 12th, 2006 06:46 AM

No Matthew, the Canon 16X Manual Servo lens has no IS. The only lenses that have IS are the two earlier white 16X autofocus lenses, the 20X cream lens made for the XL2, and the black 20X lens made for the H1. (All of these lenses can of course be used with any XL camcorder - XL1/1s/2/H1).

Jean-Philippe Archibald April 12th, 2006 06:49 AM

No IS, no Autofocus, but you can activate the motorized zoom, and it have two built in ND filters.

Tom Hardwick April 12th, 2006 06:56 AM

Most servo focus lenses require that you turn their rings above a certain speed to generate enough input to wake the motors up. Try it on your camera - on my Sonys if I manually zoom too slowly the focal length never changes a mm.

tom.

Matthew Nayman April 12th, 2006 08:52 AM

Good to know guys. Glad I never bought one... ok.. that's not true... but still... $2500, no IS? gah.

Anyhoo, who needs it. Have an M2! Or Letus!

Tony Davies-Patrick April 12th, 2006 10:14 AM

In my opinion, the 16X manual Servo lens is the very best lens in the XL line-up.

Andrew Khalil April 12th, 2006 10:16 AM

actually, the 16x lens is only $1300.00US if you get it from B&H, which is where I plan to get mine.

Tony Davies-Patrick April 12th, 2006 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Khalil
actually, the 16x lens is only $1300.00US if you get it from B&H, which is where I plan to get mine.

...Or maybe even cheaper in Mint condition from DVi 'for sale' adverts, or a reputable seller on Ebay. The 14X manual lens often sells for even less.