DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Can anyone recomend a good "soft case" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/66758-can-anyone-recomend-good-soft-case.html)

Ben Jacob May 5th, 2006 05:15 PM

Can anyone recomend a good "soft case"

Hello all,

Just got my XL2 and need a good soft case to pack it in. I was going to get a Kata CCC-1 but was advised against it by one of the sponsers (who failed to provide an alternative). So any recomendations would be helpful, or any actual experience with the Kata CCC-1 please let me know how it works for you.

Thanks,

Ben Jacob

Donovan Cerminara May 5th, 2006 05:31 PM

Kata CCC-1

Hey Ben,

I roll with the Kata CCC-1 bag, and it's served admirably, allowing me to transport my camera with me onboard airlines (where it's gotta be, right?).. My only caution is that the bag has a tendency to 'stretch out' if you overload it with gear...

Dale Guthormsen May 5th, 2006 11:06 PM

porta brace case

I recently purchased the porta brace bag for the xl2. It is nice in that it does have a protective semi hard shell and special space for the view finder.

My only complaint is I can't carry much else in the bag.

I can also carry the bag on the plane with me!

It protects the camera very well.

Bob Sandifer May 6th, 2006 08:15 AM

Im gonna have to say the portabrace as well. I like it and dislike it for the same reasons as above but be careful......that portabrace blue really stands out to those looking for a quick grab at the airport.

BTW....I went through 3 bags before I got the PB and buying it first would have saved me a ton of $$$$. All of the others started out nice and solid but within a few field visits they started to "get soggy". The PB is rock solid !

Speaking of bags....heading out the door now to showcase video in the ATL for another one for my GL2. ;)

Cal Johnson May 6th, 2006 09:29 AM

If you're willing to think a little out of the box, I have a suggestion for you. I use a Lowepro Compact AW bag for my XL2. At first, the bag looks too small to hold the camera, but if you remove the lens hood, viewfinder and mic, it all fits in perfectly. There is a nice side storage compartment where I keep my batteries and raincover, and end pouches for tapes and stuff like that. The bag also comes with a built in rain cover.
I really like my bag for the reasons that most would not:
-removing the viewfinder and mic takes 30 secs at the most, and saves it from damage in transport. I would NOT recommend transporting the camera with the viewfinder mounted unless it has a specific support in the bag or case.
-the bag doesn't look like its got a $4000 camera inside.
-it costs $99.... WOW!
If you're interested, I can post a pic of how all the stuff fits inside the bag, but if you want to "run and gun" (how I hate that term) then you'll want a bag that you can keep the camera intact and not have to put the viewfinder on when you want to use it. I find I can mount the viewfinder and mic in about 30 secs.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Shou...act_AW_DV.aspx

Tony Davies-Patrick May 6th, 2006 10:44 AM

I use an XL Kata bag for day-to-day use with lens+radio mic/mic holder etc all set up ready to be pulled out of the bag at a moments notice. I use the LowePro Trekker bag for cross-country/mountain work or walking long distances, and also use it for onboard flights. - Both bags are superb.

Brian MacDougall May 6th, 2006 01:04 PM

I like my Porta Brace and can get everything I need in there with the judicious use of some lens pads. I agree with everybody else; they're solid and built to last. BUT I take stills too: it's one of the reasons I switched from Nikon to Canon. If I had to do it all over again (and money were no object) I'd buy my next bag from these guys: ThinkTank Photo. Their stuff isn't cheap but they build some astonishing stuff for professionals. Check out the various configurations of this bag:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_Ar...td_Configs.php

Toward the bottom is a set-up with two SLR bodies, several flashes, several lenses, walkie talkies and an XL1! And it will all go carry-on. I'm not sure I'd want to hike all day with it, but I'm not doing any hiking with my Porta Brace either.

Dean Sensui May 7th, 2006 02:51 AM

I was using a Kata CCC 10 compact case for my XL1s.

It fit the XL1s with the MA100 and a pair of wireless recievers strapped to it. Just had to remove the antennas and the Lightwave mic mount.

It fits into the overhead compartment of most airlines, except for smaller commuter planes.

When I sold the camera I thought I'd sell the bag, too. But ended up using it with my Sony PD170.

I've had the bag since Sept 2002 and it shows no signs getting old.

Tony Davies-Patrick May 7th, 2006 05:39 AM

I have the Kata CCC-10 bag, and my Canon XL2 - + 20X lens + Red Eye adapter + Canon hood + Light Wave Systems SI-XL1 System Isolater + XL2 rear metal holder + Sony 800 series radio mic all set-up together - slips nicely into the bag without breaking down.
I also use the Light Waves System MM-XL1 with a 19 inch long Audio Technica 815a mic fitted, but simply unscrew the small MM-XL1 bolt and then lay it beside the camcorder inside the bag (and it then only takes a couple of seconds to fit back inside the MM-XL1 holder for almost immediate use).

Doug Boze May 7th, 2006 05:26 PM

Kata CCC-1

I use the Kata CCC-1. My XL-2 has the Cavision 4x4 bellows and rails mounted on it, as well as the Canon CH-910 dual-battery holder/charger. With the camera in the bag, there is still room behind the battery holder.

Downsides: The viewfinder must be pointed down to fit. The onboard mic will have its windscreen depressed by the top cover, but probably not if the camera is sans rails and matte box. I don't use it anyway, so I don't carry it. The batteries must be removed from the CH-910 before putting the camera in the bag. Finally, the zippered-flaps that make up the top of the bag always want to close by themselves while you try to get the camera in.

Pluses: large pockets fore and aft for batteries and tapes, etc. Exterior side pocket neatly holds Kata filter wallet for 4x4 filters. Interior pockets good for white/gray card and French flag from matte box. Good ergonomics. Handle design is much improved from the Kata PCUB-series.

I got mine for $199 from B&H. Only catch is that it is embroidered with the Panasonic logo and "DV Proline".

Ash Greyson May 8th, 2006 02:59 PM

Another vote for the Kata bag... I always break down my gear and I can fit ALL of this in the Kata bag...

- XL2 body
- XL2 viewfinder
- Canon Mic
- 20X OIS lens
- 16X Manual lens
- 3X wide lens
- Century Fisheye adapter
- 12 tiffen filters in cases
- 4 extended batteries
- 20 DV tapes
- screwdriver
- lens care kit

ash =o)

Andy Joyce May 8th, 2006 06:45 PM

The Kata bag sounds nice.

However, it wasn't readily available when I got my XL2, so I got the Tamrac case made for the XL1, and it works fine. I can leave all of the stuff attached, open the bag while it's on my shoulder, and pull it out and start shooting immediately without putting the bag down to get stolen or dirty.

It has plentry of room available for my stuff and it is carry-on legal.

Jeff McElroy May 9th, 2006 04:12 PM

While I myself have not used the Kata bag, I have the Tamrac case and have been very satisfied with it for "run and gun" application. To be honest, the reason I bought it was because it was black.

EDIT: Hey Ash, I would love to see a picture of just how you accomplish all that! :)

Ash Greyson May 9th, 2006 05:39 PM

I will post a pic when I get home next week...

ash =o)

Stuart Claggett May 16th, 2006 11:42 AM

Bag for XL-2

Does anyone have any experience with a Kata Bp-502. 50% of what I plan to shoot with is nature/hiking etc... ie need for backpack. I have an xl2 and would want to carry a digital slr with one or two lenses.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

New XL2 owner
Stuart