DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 headphone output... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/66785-xl2-headphone-output.html)

Cal Johnson May 6th, 2006 09:36 AM

XL2 headphone output...

This may be a silly question, something I've just over looked, but the headphone level output seems very low on my XL2, I have to use it cranked to max, especially if the record mode is on manual. It gets louder of course when the input it closer to peaking, but a "normal" level signal is pretty hard to hear. Anyone else have this problem?

Sam Sutch May 6th, 2006 09:43 AM

What kind of headphones are you using?
How long have you had the camera?

-Sam

Doug Boze May 6th, 2006 01:06 PM

Mine is the same way. I've had it 3 months. Do I need to refill the headphone output tank? <g> Headphones are inexpensive Sony type. I've only used them to verify channel setup.

Sam Sutch May 6th, 2006 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Boze
Do I need to refill the headphone output tank?

I asked because I was wondering if he /just got it/ therefore might not be used to its somewhat low output. Mine must be different, or something, though, because I get a comfortable level of output but then again I have Sony MDR-V700 headphones (really really nice studio monitor headphones). So that's why I was wondering.

-Sam

Dean Sensui May 7th, 2006 02:41 AM

I had an XL1 and XL1s and both had low output on the headphones. I was using Sony MDR V6's and had to get a small headphone amp to pump up the voluime.

If anyone's interested in it, email me and I can discuss price (pretty cheap, all things considered).

After a while I switched to a pair of Futuresonic earphones. They worked great with the XL1s and I didn't need the headphone amp. The earphones block out a lot of the outside noise and allows me to listen at a lower level.

In fact, sometimes when we're out on boats I'll wear 'em even if we're not shooting, just to protect myself from the outboard engine noise.

... then again, if we're on my boat, I have a Suzuki 4-stroke that makes a lot less noise and I don't need earplugs. But that's off topic.

Tony Davies-Patrick May 7th, 2006 02:42 AM

I use Philips SBC HP840 fully enclosed headphones and receive high level sound...in fact, I keep the level set at about 3/4 most of the time.

Steve House May 7th, 2006 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal Johnson
This may be a silly question, something I've just over looked, but the headphone level output seems very low on my XL2, I have to use it cranked to max, especially if the record mode is on manual. It gets louder of course when the input it closer to peaking, but a "normal" level signal is pretty hard to hear. Anyone else have this problem?

Where are you setting the recording level when you're in manual mode? Does the Monitor Mode button setting (lower left side panel) make any difference?

If worse comes to worse you can get an inexpensive battery operated headphone amp to clip on your belt. XL2->amp->phones

Tony Tibbetts May 7th, 2006 02:46 PM

I've noticed that the levels are also low, you can crank up the audio input but the sound just blows out.

Richard Hunter May 7th, 2006 06:29 PM

The Canon spec for the headphone output is given at 16 ohms load. If you use headphones that are much higher impedance than this then the levels will not be enough to drive the phones and the sound will be quieter. It's best to choose phones of 50 ohms or less. The MDR-V700's used by Sam are 24 ohms and they are also pretty sensitive (107dB/mW), so as he mentions, these should give good results with the XL2.

I'm using Shure E2C in-ear phones with my XL2, these are 16 ohms, 105dB/mW and give plenty of output. They're also sealed against outside noise which is usually a good thing, but sometimes reduces your situation awareness a bit too much.

Richard

Cal Johnson May 7th, 2006 07:10 PM

Well thanks so much everyone for all that info... I was out windsurfing for the weekend, just came back and saw all these replies. The impedence issue seems the most likely culprit. I've only had the camera about 4 months, first XL series I've owned (I love it, by the way) and was using a cheapy set of Sony partially enclosed headphones. I was setting the monitor level to pretty much full, and the manual record level so that it was just below going into the yellow. I'll check out some of the headphones that people have recommended, and make sure I get ones that are of the correct impedence and fully enclosed. Thanks again for all your replies!

Steve House May 8th, 2006 06:54 AM

Sony 7506's are pretty much the industry standard and I've read good reports on the Sennheiser H25 for its sound isolation qualities.