DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   14x manual lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/67062-14x-manual-lens.html)

Timothy Edwards May 10th, 2006 11:42 AM

14x manual lens

Hey guys, this is my first post. Great forum by the way. I want to get a full manual lens to go with an XL2. I don't need the servo focus abilities of the 16x, nor do I need the extra magnification. (nor do I want to spend the extra money) Given this, is the 14x a nice lens for what it is? Anybody out there happy/unhappy with it? Also, does it allow for back focus adjustment like the 16x? (couldn't find info on 14x back focus in past threads/articles) Thanks for any info, and sorry if these issues have alreade been addressed somewhere else.

Mike Teutsch May 10th, 2006 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy Edwards
Hey guys, this is my first post. Great forum by the way. I want to get a full manual lens to go with an XL2. I don't need the servo focus abilities of the 16x, nor do I need the extra magnification. (nor do I want to spend the extra money) Given this, is the 14x a nice lens for what it is? Anybody out there happy/unhappy with it? Also, does it allow for back focus adjustment like the 16x? (couldn't find info on 14x back focus in past threads/articles) Thanks for any info, and sorry if these issues have alreade been addressed somewhere else.

I have both lenses and they are great. The 14x does have back focus adjustment just like the 16x.

Mike

Timothy Edwards May 10th, 2006 11:52 AM

Thanks Mike!

Greg Boston May 10th, 2006 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy Edwards
I don't need the servo focus abilities of the 16x, nor do I need the extra magnification. (nor do I want to spend the extra money)

Hi Timothy and welcome to DVINFO. If you're referring to the 16x manual/servo lens, it's only servo on the iris (controlled by camera body). The focus is all you with no help at all from the camera and no image stabilization. It also has a motor drive for the zoom that can be mechanically disengaged for doing rack zooms. Another good thing about the 16x iris even though it's electronically controlled is that is able to stay wide open at full telephoto. That really helps you get a shallow DOF.

The 14x is hard to come by because it's not available from Canon anymore. You'll have to find some brave soul that wants to part with theirs.

-gb-

Mike Teutsch May 10th, 2006 01:01 PM

Actually Tim got me off of my lazy procrastinating butt, and I offered to sell him my 14x.

Like I said, I have the 16x and that is fine for what I do. Right now I have 5 lenses for the XL2, and that is real overkill. May be selling a 20x auto lens shortly. I just have to get rid of some of my excess stuff.

I just hate to sell "ANYTHING" once I buy it, but I have to get over that.

Mike

Timothy Edwards May 10th, 2006 01:10 PM

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the welcome and the info.

Mike Teutsch May 10th, 2006 01:25 PM

Ok! The deal is complete and will ship today!

It is like losing one of your children!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn! Tim is the real things guys. And Tim, the sale is not complete until you are happy with the lens.

Mike

Jarrod Whaley May 4th, 2008 08:21 PM

Sorry to "zombify" an old thread here, but I'm wondering if the 14x can hold its maximum aperture throughout the zoom range like the 16x does. It seems practically impossible to find any in-depth info on this lens, presumably because it has been discontinued for so long now.

Does anybody know? Does anyone who would know still look in on the XL2 forum, or have Greg and Ash and Mike et al. all moved on to HD and forgotten us? :)

Greg Boston May 5th, 2008 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarrod Whaley (Post 872084)
Sorry to "zombify" an old thread here, but I'm wondering if the 14x can hold its maximum aperture throughout the zoom range like the 16x does. It seems practically impossible to find any in-depth info on this lens, presumably because it has been discontinued for so long now.

Does anybody know? Does anyone who would know still look in on the XL2 forum, or have Greg and Ash and Mike et al. all moved on to HD and forgotten us? :)

I never owned the 14X, so I can't help you there. Mike says he owns (or owned) one, and I know Charles Papert had one at one time. I think our kennelmaster Chris Hurd had one at one time also.

-gb-

Jarrod Whaley May 5th, 2008 10:22 AM

Sorry Greg, I had assumed you'd know. You know what they say about assumptions, though. :)

I'll be able to figure this out on my own in a few days because a 14x is making its way to me as we speak, but I have been really curious about this and also thought the info might be useful to someone else searching for specs on this lens in the future.

Mike? Chris? Charles?

Gabriel Berube May 5th, 2008 10:43 AM

Hey guys,

I own a 14x Canon and yes, it holds it's 1.6 aperture throughout all the zoom range. I love this piece if glass, you can actually get good depth of field when zoomed in (not as much as a letusXL though).

My only problem with it is a little loss in sharpness in the corners at full aperture with a lil' touch of CAs, but hey, it's f/1.6! This slight problem is not much noticeable when stopped down to f/2.

All in all, it's a kickass lens, and it's always on my XL2!

Gabe
Fotonik Films

Jarrod Whaley May 5th, 2008 11:02 AM

Thanks, Gabe. Not only did you answer my question, but you also told me exactly what I was hoping to hear.

I really appreciate the info regarding the CA and corner softness too.