DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Nasty Jagged Edges (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/69951-nasty-jagged-edges.html)

Ash Greyson June 22nd, 2006 03:39 PM

Do you have a promist or black promist filter? That will add some glow and get you closer to the Switchfoot video look. As far as settings... try this...

White Balance: Warm (balance to light blue)

Gain -3

Gamme: Cine
Knee: Middle or High (the highlights look blown out in your grabs)
Black: Middle or Press

cMatrix: Cine
cGain: +1
cPhase: 2 toward RED

rGain: +2
gGain: -2
bGain: +1

vDetail: Normal
Sharp: 0
Coring: -3

SetupL: -6
MasterPed: -3
NR: OFF

Daniel Baker June 22nd, 2006 05:02 PM

Whoa!

I'm gonna have to do some test footage with that...though I've had some trouble white ballancing to anything but tungsten...the colors tend to go to a really harsh orange red...maybe my lights?

How could I balance to light blue? Would I use a card for that? Or a daylight gel?

How about if I wanted a similar look, but with sort of an ice cold sunlight feel
?

White Balance: Cool

cGain: -1
cPhase: -2

rGain: -2
gGain: +1
bGain: +2

And what about that verticle glare in the switchfoot video? Is that a post thing or another filter?

Jarrod Whaley June 22nd, 2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Baker
How could I balance to light blue? Would I use a card for that? Or a daylight gel?

Sorry to horn in here, but...

Yeah, just point your lens at something blue when you do a white balance. You want to find something with a dull finish so there won't be any glare, and you want a nice flat blue area with no other colors or markings. Try different shades of blue for varying amounts of warmness (darker blues will skew toward orange, lighter blues will be much more subtle).

EDIT: Just remember that you'll need to be able to WB to the same blue object any time you need to replicate the color temp. You may not need to do so, since the XL2 has the custom WB settings, but it's a good idea to have something you can easily carry around just in case. Someone on this board once suggested paint sample cards from the hardware store, which I think is a great idea.

Daniel Baker June 23rd, 2006 12:07 AM

That's a really good idea!

Ash Greyson June 23rd, 2006 03:18 AM

The vertical smear effect is most likely a filter, I did some of that in the doc I directed. You CAN achieve a similar thing by making your shutter speed VERY VERY high, this will cause an anomaly called vertical smear where lights will blow out vertically with some green highlights, interesting effect but VERY "crispy" looking...

ash =o)

Daniel Baker June 24th, 2006 12:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an interesting grab from some test footage I did with a new home made gold reflector (ie, the fabric store had a sale on shiny gold stuff).

However, there are still some jagged edges (see top left and right corners on the glasses frame) and some strange verticle banding on the nose...

Is this just something I'll have to live with when viewing footage on a computer?

Ash Greyson June 24th, 2006 03:39 AM

Where are you seeing this? In what program, on what monitor, etc.?

ash =o)

Daniel Baker June 24th, 2006 03:05 PM

Filmed on an XL2 with the preset you gave me minus the color tweaks. 16:9, 24p

I captured into Premier Pro 2, this screen grab was from AfterEffects. I'm using a Samsung CRT monitor (SyncMaster997mb), high rez...Seems the image on a TV is a bit smoother though...just so strange for it to look so rough on a computer.

...and GEEZE I wish I had the 3x Wide Angle lense...stupid small house cant get the camera far enough away grumble grumble grumble...