DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   audio question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/72322-audio-question.html)

Jonathan Grant July 26th, 2006 08:59 AM

audio question

I need help asap! We film tonight and we are having trouble with the audio. We are using the XLR inputs, in channel one we have the boom mic and in channel two we have a lav. The problem is that it is only picking up the boom mic, but it's picking it up in both channels! Even when the lav isn't plugged into channel two! What's the deal? Anyone have any ideas?

Chris Hurd July 26th, 2006 10:02 AM

Open the Audio Controls panel on the left side of the XL2 body. Locate the Rec. Ch. Select switch, just above the Channel 1 volume control knob. I'll bet you a six-pack of Shiner Bock that it's set to the Ch1 - Ch2 position. Move it to the Ch 1 position. Problem solved.

If this doesn't fix it, report back.

Andy Joyce July 26th, 2006 06:32 PM

A little OT, but what the hell.

That's funny that you mentioned Shiner Bock. I have a friend from Austin that introduced me to that beer, and it's quite good.

Lou Bruno July 26th, 2006 07:06 PM

Chris,

Could you give me some audio advice? I received the camera yesterday and did a CAR SHOW shoot. I adjusted the saturation and RED AND BLUE to look like a SONY. I understand everything but the audio.

HOWEVER, I find the audio VERY confusing, unlike any of my other cameras both PRO and CONSUMER.

Question: I want the front microphone audio on Channel ONE and REAR XLR microphone on Channel two. I currently have audio on 16 bit which may account for why I can not seperate the sound. I either get full audio from the front or full audio from the rear, but not a mix.

Thanks,
LOU

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Open the Audio Controls panel on the left side of the XL2 body. Locate the Rec. Ch. Select switch, just above the Channel 1 volume control knob. I'll bet you a six-pack of Shiner Bock that it's set to the Ch1 - Ch2 position. Move it to the Ch 1 position. Problem solved.

If this doesn't fix it, report back.

Chris Hurd July 26th, 2006 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Bruno
I want the front microphone audio on Channel ONE and REAR XLR microphone on Channel two.

Hi Lou,

The problem is, the front mic (if it's the one that came with the camera) is a stereo mic, and therefore it always requires two channels. Anyway here's how to work around it.

Explained here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=503963

And here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=509012

Hope this helps!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Joyce
A little OT, but what the hell. That's funny that you mentioned Shiner Bock.

Shiner Bock is never Off Topic around here!

Lou Bruno July 27th, 2006 06:40 AM

Thanks.................................

Jonathan Grant July 28th, 2006 12:10 AM

I guess I owe you a 6pack! You are a lifesaver!!!

Jonathan Grant August 1st, 2006 04:49 PM

This may sound stupid, but having it set to ch1 instead of ch1-ch2 will still record both channels right? I guess I don't understand what the difference is between ch1 and ch1-ch2. I thought the ch1 setting would only record ch1 and the other would record both. I'm assuming that isn't the case.

Jonathan Jones August 1st, 2006 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Grant
This may sound stupid, but having it set to ch1 instead of ch1-ch2 will still record both channels right? I guess I don't understand what the difference is between ch1 and ch1-ch2. I thought the ch1 setting would only record ch1 and the other would record both. I'm assuming that isn't the case.

That is not the case. Basically, and for lack of a better explanation, each channel represents a field of the stereo spread. Ch 1 is the left field, and Ch 2 is the right field. If you are just using the on-board mic (which is a stereo mic) it will automatically record onto both channels of the stereo spread and provide a stereo (l + r) representation of the source material. Other audio inputs however, like mono microphones will plug into just one input and record a mono signal to only one side of that stereo field. This allows the user to have more control over each of the independent inputs and also allows for the input of up to four indendent audio sources (if one so desires) and utilize a decent amount of control over each one. In post, each channel will reside on the extreme left and right of the stereo fields. Typically, for mono sources, these fields are then centered in post (or whereever in the field the producer wishes them to be.)

So the CH1 switch definately is what it indicates. It will send the signal only to the ch 1 signal. The Ch1 > Ch2 switch is among other things a convenience factor for duping the ch1 input to both sides of the stereo field so that it is already centered as a center field mono signal.

Although I have not tried this to be sure, I imagine it also might be possible to send the input to both channels, but use manual input control to have two separate input levels so that you have two options on the clipping level of one incoming source - if one level gets two hot, you can have a lower level input setting on the other channel as a backup in case on ch distorts. But as I said, I haven't tried this as I don't know if the Ch1>Ch2 switch also dupes the Ch1 manual settings to Ch2.

Hope this helps.
-Jon