DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Used XL2 a risk? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/74002-used-xl2-risk.html)

Kyle Prohaska August 21st, 2006 11:15 AM

Used XL2 a risk?

I have the offer to buy a used XL2 bought March 05 for $2500. It has 9 hours on it and its standard 1yr warrenty is obviously gone. It comes with a hard case, extra battery, UV Filter, and the original accessories. If I get this what do you think my odds are of something breaking on the camera? It would be highly unfortunate for that to happen but it could. Do you think I should buy it and take the risk, or wait 2 months to buy it from newegg.com and pay off the rest in 5 months. Should I risk 2500 on something breaking?

-Kyle

Nick Weeks August 21st, 2006 12:39 PM

That's $1000 cheaper than a new one, are you sure it only has 9 hours on it??

Mathieu Ghekiere August 21st, 2006 12:41 PM

Are you sure newegg.com are trust worthy? There are many scam shops out there too, asking a low price on a camera, but forcing you to buy overpriced accesoires, normally in the package, so in the end you end up buying for a much higher price than normally.
I don't know them of course, just trying to warn you, if you went to that special place, site, where you can see the reactions from people on a shop. And I've never heard from newegg, so that's why I ask.

And do you know the person you're buying from? Can you test the camera?
Many people here buy used and sell used, so it can always be a good deal.

EDIT, I checked Newegg on the website from Reseller Ratings, and they get a high rating, so I was a bit too suspicious :-) Sorry.

Nick Weeks August 21st, 2006 01:31 PM

FYI newegg is very repsectable, I actually bought a VX2100 from them, excellent service

Greg Boston August 21st, 2006 09:40 PM

Gentleman,

DVINO Policy states that all 'where to buy' discussions will be directed towards our sponsors. Please take non-sponsor discussions to private mail.

1. The sponsors make keep site available for you.

2. The DVINFO sponsors are a limited group whom Chris H. has screened for integrity and fair dealings. There are companies who have offered Chris money for sponsorship and have been told 'no thank you.' He's got your back and wants you to buy from these folks cause they will take care of you.

regards,

-gb-

K. Forman August 22nd, 2006 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Prohaska
I have the offer to buy a used XL2 bought March 05 for $2500. It has 9 hours on it and its standard 1yr warrenty is obviously gone. It comes with a hard case, extra battery, UV Filter, and the original accessories. If I get this what do you think my odds are of something breaking on the camera? It would be highly unfortunate for that to happen but it could. Do you think I should buy it and take the risk, or wait 2 months to buy it from newegg.com and pay off the rest in 5 months. Should I risk 2500 on something breaking?

-Kyle

I would always go with a new cam if possible. The current owner may or may not be a technical person, and it won't take much to ruin it. What? Ya mean you aren't supposed to run the head cleaner all the way?

Nick Weeks August 22nd, 2006 06:01 AM

edit: wrong topic