DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 Demo Reel (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/74294-xl2-demo-reel.html)

Mike Berlucchi August 26th, 2006 01:25 AM

XL2 Demo Reel

Hey guys,

I just finished up my first demo reel which has all shots from the XL2. Im just looking for some feedback on what could have been done different, what could be completely dropped, and some advice on tuning up my images a bit. Let me know what you think. It is on the main page of my website, you cant miss it. www.mikeberlucchi.com Thanks ahead of time.

Brian K Jones August 26th, 2006 02:33 PM

Thought the reel was "real" nice....Good work...

Brian K Jones August 26th, 2006 02:34 PM

Did you use any filters, any lens adapters??

Gabriel Yeager August 26th, 2006 03:49 PM

Nice job! I love how the music matches!
What camera did you use for all that?

Thanks for the fun of watching it.
~Gabriel~

Mark Williams August 26th, 2006 04:35 PM

Mike,

I think you demo is pretty good. I generally don't like the skateboard stuff but your's was pretty interesting. By the way I like your website design.

Regards

Greg Boston August 26th, 2006 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel Yeager
What camera did you use for all that?

I think you'll find the answer to that question within the first sentence in Mike's first post above. ;-)

Gabriel Yeager August 26th, 2006 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
I think you'll find the answer to that question within the first sentence in Mike's first post above. ;-)

Haha! I wonder how I mist that!?

Thanks!
~Gabriel~

Mike Berlucchi August 26th, 2006 07:57 PM

Thanks alot for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it. Brian I did not use any filters or lens adapters other than ND and polarizers, most of the effects were done in post and white balancing on all sorts of different colors. Once again thanks alot guys.

Jeff Anselmo August 26th, 2006 10:20 PM

Nice looking reel!

Great job on the reel! And I second motion the compliment on the website.

Mike Andrade August 28th, 2006 10:50 PM

Looks good Mike. I really like the site layout, very clean. Ive seen some film or media sites that go nuts with their design and content. The reel is well done and I like the aerial footage. What were you up in when you shot that? I had to shoot out of a small Cessna once and got sick as hell.

Mike Berlucchi August 29th, 2006 08:01 PM

Mike, for the aerial footage I was in a helicopter. I got a little dizzy after a while but it wasnt too bad. Thanks for the feedback though I appreciate it.

Andrew Brinkhaus August 29th, 2006 11:22 PM

Wow Mike, those images were beautiful...I epecially liked the shot in the beginnig of the musican on the old bridge, great. What did you edit in, and what were your export settings for the web?

Roger Rosales August 30th, 2006 02:17 PM

Definately very cool Reel Mike.

I'm working on my reel too, hopefully I can get it done soon to get feedback (this would be my very first reel).

Again, awesome job.

The site is great too. Not too much, not too little. Just right.

Mike Berlucchi August 30th, 2006 04:09 PM

Thanks guys. Andrew I use Sony Vegas 5 and After Effects to edit. I used Sorenson 3 to compress the video and I just made it as high quality as I could to be a reasonable file size.

Michael D. Shivers September 8th, 2006 09:40 AM

Well Done Mike. I enjoyed the colors - the school bus shot with kids was really great. Great flow of the song and like the way of using your footage to tell a story.

Michael

Justine Haupt September 8th, 2006 12:13 PM

I loved it too... but it would be nice if it were bigger.

Chris Fritsche September 8th, 2006 01:22 PM

cool clips, I think my favorites were when you were behind the skateboarder and when the girl runs into the barn, I really liked the camera move and the speed from normal to slow motion

Mike Berlucchi September 10th, 2006 07:02 PM

Hey guys thanks for all the comments! I have just updated my reel, added a few more clips, cut some out, and took Justin's advice and made it bigger. Here's the link again, www.mikeberlucchi.com. Thanks again guys.

Lonnie Bell September 11th, 2006 09:06 AM

saw it before the changes - well done.
saw it after the changes - even better.

you're work is really good, and you're obviously crafting a style, so don't ever put up a teeny weeny window again - your work is worthy of a bigger screen!

...and i personally would enjoy this kind of feedback, so here you go, i'm watching on a mac quad, dell lcd, cable hookup, and which ever compression settings you used were dead on - very clean! maybe some pc and dial up users will let you know if your settings worked as well...

best of luck,
Lonnie