DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL-1s vs. XL-2 comparison (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/74669-xl-1s-vs-xl-2-comparison.html)

Bob Safay September 1st, 2006 10:06 AM

XL-1s vs. XL-2 comparison

Interesting comparison. Last year I went to the Ocoee River in Tennessee and videoed rafters with my XL-1s. Last week I went back with my XL-2. Now remember, the color of the rafts, life jackets, paddles etc all stayed the same. Same amount of sunlight, same locations. I compaired the two tapes. First I must tell you that the video from the XL-1s was beautiful. Vivid colorsa and very clear footage. Now for the rest of the story. The video from the XL-2 blew me away. At well over 100 feet on full telephoto you could count the ripples in the muscles of the paddlers and even the seams on the rafts. The color was pure and vivid with no bleeding. Remember, all these rafts and equipment have very vivid colors (yellows, blues, reds, purple etc). Also, for the first time since I started useing the XL series (I have had the XL-1 and the XL-1s) I can actually trust and use the auto focus. No "hunting". It snapped onto the target and stayed with it, even when following the rafters through whitewater. It is an MAGNIFICENT camcorder. Very happy I upgraded. I just wish it were a bit lighter. Bob

Julian Seeto September 4th, 2006 09:35 PM

not sure if its just my camera/lens, or plain human operator error.. but i find that mine seems to love hunting :(

julz

Bob Safay September 5th, 2006 06:44 PM

Julian, I am amazed at the quaility of this auto focus. I was able to track those rafts all the way down. Bob

Jimmy McKenzie September 5th, 2006 06:49 PM

Yes, the accolades just continue to heap up around the gorgeous images that the XL2 produces. What a workhorse. For the record, my autofocus switch is duct-taped to :"MANUAL" ...

Mike Andrade September 5th, 2006 07:16 PM

I know how you feel Bob. After shooting on a gl1 for years I just recently picked up an Xl2. I went out to lake this weekend and shot some sailboats with various colored sails like red, blue, purple, yellow etc...I was shooting from a picnic table a good 100 yds away and at full telephoto. I came home and looked at it and was amazed. Whoever said this camera doesnt reproduce color well is crazy.

Jarrod Whaley September 6th, 2006 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Andrade
Whoever said this camera doesnt reproduce color well is crazy.

As has been pointed out a lot around here, the people who say that just aren't using the preset parameters to their advantage. :)

When I got my XL2, I also had been using a GL1 for about 5 or 6 years. I too was pretty pleased at the difference. I now use my GL1 pretty much only as a capture/playback deck. When I actually shoot with it, it's in situations where the XL2 is too big and bulky, or else in dangerous (for the camera) situations--like dangling the camera out the window of a moving car or something like that.