DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Will a UV Filter fit ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/75430-will-uv-filter-fit.html)

Chris Sabold September 13th, 2006 12:08 PM

Will a UV Filter fit ?

I just purchased and I am waiting for delivery of a XL2. I have a 72mm filter set from my last camera I'd like to use. My question is: is there an issue with fitting filters to the front of the lens because it is convex ? Also is there anything I should be concerned or careful about when putting the camera together ? I currently still have a Sony VX2100 which I like alot and will hold onto for awhile. I bought the XL2 for widescreen capabilities and hopefully even a bettter picure. Anyone here made a similar transition ?
Thank you, Chris....

Bob Safay September 13th, 2006 12:55 PM

Chris, I have the XL-2 and have a standard 72mm UV filter on the lens. I NEVER go in the field without it. Some say it may degrade the quality of the video. I feel that the slight degredation is worth the added safety of having the filter on to protect the lens. I deal with a lot of TV media folks (actually being the guy being interviewed in the field), and I have noticed that they all have filters on their lens. It is much easier and cheaper to replace the filter than to replace the lens. Bob

Richard Hunter September 13th, 2006 06:21 PM

Hi Chris. I went from VX2000 to XL2, so it's very similar to your situation. The XL2 can give very nice results and I use it most of the time. It does take a bit of practice to get the most from it, but the results are definitely worth the effort. Read through the posts on this forum and you should pick up a lot of tips.

I find the Sony is still very useful for indoors shots where the lighting is no good, as it holds up better than the XL2 in low light.

You should have no problem using filters on the XL2, although I mostly have a 0.7X lens converter fitted to mine because I prefer the wider angle of view.

Richard

Chris Sabold September 16th, 2006 07:04 AM

Thank you Bob and Richard for taking the time to respond. I remember reading on this forum that certain adapters could scratch the lens on this camera because of how it protrudes at the opening. I certainly didn't want to scratch it just putting on a protective filter. Richard I will hang onto my 2100 for those dark inside shoots as well. I do hope I can learn how to get as good or better an image on my new XL2.

Richard Hunter September 16th, 2006 08:12 PM

Hi Chris. The only problem like that that I am aware of was that the original 0.7X wide angle converter from Century Optics, which was designed for the XL1 16X lens, could not be fitted to the XL2 20X lens without the risk of scraping the front of the convex lens. CO quickly brought out a new converter that fits the 20X lens without any problem. That's what I use.

If you don't have a converter fitted, I don't think there is any issue to fit screw-on 72mm filters. I have a UV and a circular polariser that both fit fine.

Richard