DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Stepping up to the XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/78312-stepping-up-xl2.html)

Mat Thompson October 27th, 2006 06:06 AM

Stepping up to the XL2

Hi guys.....Just some general viewpoints required really. I've had a XL1s now for 3-4 months and I love it and feel very comfortable with its functionality and handling.

I'm considering getting an XL2 (native 16.9, real 25p ect and more advanced image control, bla bla)

What I really want like everyone is the best quality images I can get (no I can't afford an H1 at the mo ;) !!

Do you guys think the step up in capture quality will be recognisable and worth while?

Jean-Philippe Archibald October 27th, 2006 06:32 AM

Hi Mat,

I just does the same thing, just bough an XL2 to replace my aging XL1. I wasn't ready for HD yet (implying a computer change, monitor, etc...)

I can say that the overall image quality between the two cam is day and night litterally! The XL2 is so sharp and have a greater dynamic range than the XL1.

But the ergonomics are also better (read the forum for the new features list).

You won't regrets this move.

Mat Thompson October 27th, 2006 06:44 AM

Thats interesting Jean-P. Thanks for the positive words, it is an XL1S not the XL1 but I'm pretty sure there should still be a good step up in quality.

Anyone else with experience of both these cams and like to draw some comparisons ??

Bob Safay October 27th, 2006 07:33 AM

Mat, I had both the XL-1 and the XL-1s. I had the XL-1s for several years and did some major productions for the government. I even used it down on the Mississippi coast 3 days after Katrina and loved the color and images I was getting with it. I have had the XL-2 since Aug. 2006. Here goes. The XL-2 blows the XL-1s away. Image is very noticably sharper, color more brilliant, MUCH, MUCH easier to focus, many more options as far as settings go, the 20x lens is so much clearer and nicer than the 16x. Image stabalizer is great. Viewfinder is bigger, sharper and clearer, flip up screen on VF is nice, not great, but really nice. Yes, it is a little over a pound heavier, but I am already used to that. XLR inputs are a BIG advantage. True 16 x 9 aspect is unbelievably beautiful, I don't think I could ever go back to 4 x 5 aspect. I have had NO problems with back focus on my older 3x. Oh, it may be just me, but my old battaries seem to last twice as long. In my opinion, the upgrade is more than worth the money. This camcorder really performs beyond my expectations. But remember, in order for it to really rock you must play around with the presets and set the camcorder to function the way YOU want it to. Go for it, you will never regret it. Bob

Mat Thompson October 27th, 2006 04:09 PM

Thats really usefull info and backs up the decision well. Many thanks for your comparisons bob.

Cheers
Mat

Cal Johnson October 27th, 2006 04:28 PM

Ditto to Bob and Jean's comments. I used an XL1, then XL1s quite a bit, but bought the XL2. Its just a terrific camera. Check out "Juniperio" in the "Show Your Work" forum to see what can be achieved with this camera. You'll love it, and all the customizing of presets and "electronic cinematography" aspect of using the camera is transferable to working in HD.