DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Manual gain with Senn EW G2 100 wireless (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/82359-manual-gain-senn-ew-g2-100-wireless.html)

Patrick Moreau December 22nd, 2006 09:12 PM

Manual gain with Senn EW G2 100 wireless

It sounds like ap retty simple question and can be done no problem with the
PD170 but for some reason I cannot figure it out with the XL2 which I got recently.

I have the senn ew 100 wireless setup with stock mic hooked up and the receiver with the 1/8" to XLR plug right into the first XLR port. I would like to manually adjust the levels for the left and right audio separtely, but I can only get it them to adjust together. If I change the audio input to the shotgun mic, I can adjust left and right separately but when I switch to the XLR jack, the channel 2 gain does nothing and the channel one gain controls both. Any ideas how I can get around this so I can use the one mic and set the channels at different levels?

Thanks

Patrick

Michael Nistler December 23rd, 2006 12:28 AM

Mispost?

Hi Patrick,

Did you mean to ask a question about your PD170 and Sennheiser G2s in the Canon XL-2 forum? We could give you info on how we adjust our XL-2 to address your balance issue but it sounds like you are looking for help in another forum. Anyway, if you're asking about the G2 Receiver AF output adjustment, it's on page 75 of the manual. Otherwise, check out the nice online video training session by Guy Cochran:
http://www.dvcreators.net/products/s...movieframe.htm

Good luck, Michael

Patrick Moreau December 23rd, 2006 01:04 AM

I am looking for information on the XL2 and with the Wireless plugged in. I would like to be able to run the left and right channels on manual gain and set them separately. This would be done on the XL2, and I can adjust the levels on the XL2 manually, but when I cannot configure it so I can set the left and right channels at different levels. I'm not sure why you would bring up the AF output for the Senn or the PD170 forum, this is strictly a question about the XL2 and setting levels manually and independantly with the audio input from the XLR (whichis the wireless in my case).

Bruce S. Yarock December 23rd, 2006 06:22 AM

Patrick,
I used to leave my shotgun plugged into the left side xlr and the G2 in the right side. Set the channel selection to "Ch 1" NOT 1 +2. That way the channels will beseperate. That way you'll always have seperate tracks.
If it doesn't work, give me a call.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com

Patrick Moreau December 23rd, 2006 07:28 AM

When I plug just the wireles sinto the left XLR and set it to CH1, it will only record to the one channel. To get it to record to oth channels, I need to set it to CH1 + Ch2, but then this also ties the gains together so I can't set left vs right at different levels.

Bruce S. Yarock December 23rd, 2006 08:32 AM

Patrick,
That' the way the XL2 works. I always left my shot gun on the left, only recording on the left side.Since it's a mono signal anyways, you don't need it on both channels. That leaves the right side for the wireless(or a boomed hyper, or whatever). I leave the receiver velcro'd on the plate, ready to use when I need it. That way both channels are seperate , and ready to do whatever you want in post.
If you want 16 48 stereo, then just use your Canon mic, or something else. I also used the xl2 for live concerts, running 2 mics, one into each xlr input.
Bruce S. Yarock

Douglas Robbins December 24th, 2006 05:32 PM

Bruce is right. It's counterintuitive, but to record in two channels you need to set the switch to CH 1 (not to CH 1 + CH 2). Also make sure the other switch is set to "rear" in order to use the two xlr inputs. Make sure the audio settings in the menu are set to 16 bit (not 12 bit). Plug your Sennehiser into the xlr jack #2 and your shotgun into xlr jack # 1 and your headphones will monitor shotgun in the left ear and wireless lav in the right ear.

From our experience, the transmitter on the wireless rig needs to be set to a fairly low sensitivity, around -20 db if I remember right. I only boost the sensitivity to -10db in those instances when the lav is more than 4 feet from the subject. The receiver also needs to be set to a somewhat low output: I think we set that to -18db. Experiment with the settings until the sound and the visual levels are correct. You're shooting for levels around -12 db reading in your camera's EVF when your subject speaks normally, with the dial on the side of your XL2 set to about 12 o'clock or 1 o'clock.

Douglas

Patrick Moreau December 24th, 2006 08:25 PM

I seem to be miscommunicating. I want the wireless lav to record to both the left and right channels (thereofre the shotgun would be inactive). I just need to switch the left and right levels independantly but both are form the wireless. I cant seem to get it to work and Bruce is suggestig it can't be done. Anybody else have any ideas?

Bruce S. Yarock December 24th, 2006 11:02 PM

Patrick,
Are you saying that you want the same wireless signal going to both channels,but with independent level control on each channel? If so, you need an xlr splietter . The xlr out of the G2 would be split into two xlrs, one going to the left side and the other to the right. You leave the switch on "Ch 1" and then have two channel independent control of the same signal.
I assume you're trying to do this to have one channel lower as a safety in case of spiking or clipping on the other?
call me if you need any more help.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com

Patrick Moreau December 26th, 2006 06:43 PM

Bruce,

you have the idea exactly- one wireless on two channels, with one lower for safety. With my PD170 I could plug in just one XLR and still set the levels independantly so I was hopign I could do it easier with this. A splitter should be easy enought though.

Bruce S. Yarock December 27th, 2006 12:21 AM

patrick,
I think that's the only way to do it. Btw, Did you say you had a Glidecam or magiqcam? Would the one you have b enough to ffly an XL2 or XLH1 loaded and weighing 12 lbs?
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com

Patrick Moreau December 27th, 2006 09:26 PM

Even if the glidecam could handle that unit, it would be much too heavy to do hand held, at least it was for me. The Magiqcam though handles it well with all sorts of extras loaded up. I don't think they are in business anymore though. I would try Terry at indicam for a product similiar in price/performance.

Patrick