DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   What 2nd camera will work best with my XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/83943-what-2nd-camera-will-work-best-my-xl2.html)

Paul Gallagher January 15th, 2007 01:09 PM

What 2nd camera will work best with my XL2

Hi all,

I mainly shoot weddings and I wanted a 2nd camera for my wife to use as she will be going to the brides house etc and for more creative shots, I will be mostly using the XL2 to shoot safe and for all the main events and cutting to the second camera to keep it more interesting. I currently use a Sony VX2000... or should I say my wife does and she really loves this camera but when its shoot in 16:9 mode it comes accross as being very digified when watched side by side with my Canon, and its proving a bit of a nightmare with colour correcting.

I would really like the Sony for the evening events as it is unbelieveable in low light. I have read about the new HD replacement for the Canon XM2/GL2 but I have also read that you XL2 Owners are having a lot of trouble getting the colours to match up well and this is from another Canon Camera.

What would be the best second camera for my Wife to use to match up best with my XL2 in 16:9 mode as this is the type I'm going to use from now on. An XL2 is not an option as she finds it far too heavy and cumbersome to use for a full day. After all she is only 5ft 2" tall.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Paul

Mark Sasahara January 15th, 2007 01:25 PM

Another XL2!

Another Canon will likely be your best bet, the GL2, but you'll have to letterbox it, so when your wife shoots, she'll have to figure out where the letterbox is.

Something like the Steady Stick might be good for both you and your wife. It will help keep the camera stady and take the load off the hands and transfer it to the belt. You can still make smooth moves with it. I've used one a little and it's pretty nice.

Varizoom also make a similar rig.

Michael Nistler January 15th, 2007 02:42 PM

Second camera

Hi Paul,

I was also going to suggest the Steady Stick - it really makes a difference although many would prefer a monopod to shoot weddings.

Regards, Michael

Paul Gallagher January 15th, 2007 02:59 PM

That steady stick looks fantastic, is there a dealer for them here in the UK?

Paul

Michael Nistler January 15th, 2007 08:57 PM

Steady Stick

Paul,

If you don't find a local Steady Stick distributor, you'll find many reputable ebay Power Sellers that will ship to you - simply search ebay for "steady stick" and enter your Country to calculate shipping.

Michael

Meryem Ersoz January 16th, 2007 09:20 AM

the steady stick is a great tool, but to shoot a full day with an XL2 causes me some lower back issues...a monopod might be a better choice for a shorter female (speaking as one....). i'm good for a couple of hours with that combination, but that's it.

Michael Nistler January 16th, 2007 02:43 PM

Monopod

Right on Meryem,

At the ceremony (especially a Catholic wedding), a monopod can be a real back-saver. The steady stick is an asset at the reception on the dance floor, although the monopod works well for above-crowd shots (provided the cameraman can hold a 9 pound camera from a pole above his/her head). So the best of both worlds is to put TA-100 quick-release adapters on the tripod, steady stick, and monopod to cover all the bases... and make some points with your wife, Paul <wink> (although flowers, back massage, and a bottle of good wine will get you more mileage)

Regards, Michael

Paul Gallagher January 16th, 2007 03:03 PM

So the long and short of it is the best 2nd camera for an XL2 is another XL2 and a very understanding wife who I will have to bribe at every wedding......lol.

Oh and a good camera support, what camera support do you use yourselves and what works best for around the photo shoot and brides house?

Paul