DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   3, 4 channels, 12 bit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/88144-3-4-channels-12-bit.html)

Dale Guthormsen March 4th, 2007 11:46 PM

3, 4 channels, 12 bit

Good evening,

I was shooting a video of a coach giving skating lessons. I thought it would be wise to use a wireless on the coach and allow the standard mic to pic up the music. The sound through the camera came out very nice, But!!

I use premiere and now i find that I get the video but no audio in the capture mode.

How does one optimize the extra audio if pp and pe do not want to do with three or more tracks???

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to use this footage!!

Greg Boston March 5th, 2007 12:28 AM

Not knowing your software since I don't use it, I can only recommend a stand-alone application called Scenalyzer that works very well and will recover all 4 tracks for you. They are captured in .wav format and you should be able to bring the resulting .wav files in to the NLE.

Remember also that 12 bit audio is 32 khz in mini-dv format so you should look for a capture setting to account for this.

-gb-

Jonathan Jones March 5th, 2007 01:29 AM

Hi Dale,
I also don't use PP, however pretty much all pro-apps are able to capture the extra tracks, but usually require you to do it in a 2nd pass. The first pass will record the standard 2 channels of audio, and then you will have to change your capture settings to get the second 2 channels (even if you only need channel 3) and run it on a 2nd pass and capture just the audio. The settings setup will likely vary from application to application, and in some cases, you have to create the setting yourself. For example, I use FCP, and in my experience, I have to just make a duplicate of the default catpure setting, and make my adjustments in the copy (titling it accordingly) and changing the audio capture setting to the appropriate parameters.

Lots of folks in these threads have noted that they like to use Scenelyzer (sp?) as Rob suggested but I have not used it as it is a PC only app, and I use Mac, but in general, for most apps, just change the settings and do a 2nd pass.

Good luck.
-J.

Michael Nistler March 5th, 2007 02:00 AM

What to do with XL-2 channel 3 and 4

Dale,

I don't see any PP Pro options to capture 4 channel audio from your XL-2. Lacking a better method, there's always the brute force approach. Connect cables to your RCA channel 3 & 4 audio out jacks, play the mini-DV, record the audio to a MP3 or WAV file, and finally import the audio file into two new tracks of your PP project and sync it with the existing tracks. But it seems like there would be an easier way...

Michael

Dale Guthormsen March 5th, 2007 08:44 AM

thanks for the notes.

I will download scenalyzer and give that a try.

Failing there I will try the audio record method.

Dale Guthormsen March 5th, 2007 10:37 PM

scenalyzer

good evening,

I downloaded the test verson and it works fantasticly. the files readily add as media in premiere pro or elements.

So, anyone using more than the two tracks will find this totally useful and pain free.

the price is all of 34 dollars.

thank you again for sharing such valuable information!!