DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Nikon lense fitting to XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/88546-nikon-lense-fitting-xl2.html)

Mat Thompson March 9th, 2007 07:42 AM

Nikon lense fitting to XL2

Hey guys anyone point me in the direction of a good Nikon lens fitting to XL2.

Many thanks
Mat

Mike Teutsch March 9th, 2007 07:56 AM

Mat,

See the "Alternative Imaging Methods" forum here. There is also info in the XL2 forum and the XL2 Watchdog.

Basically you need an adapter for the 35mm lenses, maybe harder to find right now, and the lense will be about 7 times greater length than what it is listed as. For example a 100mm lens will act like a 700mm lens. This is because of the lens' location in relationship to the sensors.

Most who use these lenses are shoot wildlife at a distance.

Mike

Mat Thompson March 9th, 2007 08:06 AM

Mike
Thanks for reply, yeah I'm aware of the increased reach of slr lenses on the XL camera...thats why I use it :) Its just I have access to a very nice 300mm nikon lens that I'd like to use for my next project. I was told you could get an adapter that will allow this to fit direct to the XL body. Nikon lenses have the iris settings on them and not the body as with canon if I'm not mistaken?

Mat

Mike Teutsch March 9th, 2007 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mat Thompson (Post 638801)
Mike
Thanks for reply, yeah I'm aware of the increased reach of slr lenses on the XL camera...thats why I use it :) Its just I have access to a very nice 300mm nikon lens that I'd like to use for my next project. I was told you could get an adapter that will allow this to fit direct to the XL body. Nikon lenses have the iris settings on them and not the body as with canon if I'm not mistaken?

Mat

Mat,

I have the adapter but I checked and I find none available right now on ebay or anywhere else. I think the company that made mine is out of business now. Just keep your eyes open and you may want to post a WTB thread in the classified section of this forum.

Good Luck!----Mike

PS: You can still get the adapter for the Canon lens at B&H and others, so that may be an alternate choice.

Mike

Paul Doherty March 9th, 2007 09:01 AM

Try lesbosher.co.uk. They do the sort of adaptor you're after.

Bob Hart March 9th, 2007 09:20 AM

Endorsing Les Bosher's adaptor. I've tried his adaptor for Nikon-to-JVC HD100 and it works fine.

Mat Thompson March 9th, 2007 12:35 PM

many thanks guys....yeah I've heard of ths chap

Will check it out

Tony Davies-Patrick March 9th, 2007 12:46 PM

I also use the Les Bosher Nikon Nikkor to XL adaptors.

Mat Thompson March 11th, 2007 06:11 AM

Hey people

Just to let you know this is available as Les Bosher....It is £150 ish though which is a lot for an adapter collar i think. Hey ho...you pays your money you takes your choice!

Tony. Any experience with the Nikon 300mm F4 and this adapter on the XL2??

Regards
Mat

Tony Davies-Patrick March 11th, 2007 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mat Thompson (Post 639706)
Tony. Any experience with the Nikon 300mm F4 and this adapter on the XL2??

Regards
Mat

Which one? The AFS is lighter and more expensive, but the older AF Nikon 300mm f/4 ED-IF Nikkor is the best built of the two by far - really solid and nice handling, as well as having a much sturdier/stronger lens tripod mount (which can be important). Both are very sharp optics. The autofocus of the Non AFS version is slightly slower, but in my opinion it is the best one to own - and you cannot autofocus on XL bodies anyway.

I do love my Nikkor 300mm f/2.8, but the Nikkor 300mm f/4 can almost match it aperture for aperture in the sharpness stakes. If you like going compact and light, but still want tank-like build and knife-sharp in a pair of great lenses for the XL bodies, then go for the AF Nikkor 300m f/4 & AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8.

Whatever you do, don't buy any of the new 'G' Nikkors that have no aperture ring.

Andy Joyce March 11th, 2007 03:15 PM

Novoflex makes several adaptors.

Some go from Nikon to EOS (Canon), Hasselblad to EOS, Olympus to EOS, etc.
For EOS, you will need to use the Canon EF adapter on your XL2.

Others go straight from Nikon to XL mount.

Eah is around $200, the EF adapter is around $350.

Mat Thompson March 11th, 2007 05:42 PM

Thanks for your replies guys.

Tony...yeah its the AF Nikon 300mm f/4 ED-IF ....heres a question then. Would you say Nikon lenses of this quality through a collar type adaper would be superior in image quality to canon lenses such as the 300L f4 through the EF adapter.

I just don't know whether to go the nikon route (2nd hand lenses seem cheaper and I've read some great things about them) or stay with the canon fitting lenses?? obviously I have a £150 adapter to purchase to use the Nikon directly....

hhmmmm

Tony Davies-Patrick March 12th, 2007 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mat Thompson (Post 639939)
Thanks for your replies guys.

Tony...yeah its the AF Nikon 300mm f/4 ED-IF ....heres a question then. Would you say Nikon lenses of this quality through a collar type adaper would be superior in image quality to canon lenses such as the 300L f4 through the EF adapter.

I just don't know whether to go the nikon route (2nd hand lenses seem cheaper and I've read some great things about them) or stay with the canon fitting lenses?? obviously I have a £150 adapter to purchase to use the Nikon directly....

hhmmmm

My adapter cost about £90+VAT, although that was some years back. At least the one made by Les Bosher is made out of sturdy metal and not the cheaper ones made from hard plastics or resin.

Regarding Canon or Nikon, there isn't much to divide them in the sharpness stakes if you stick to the pro "L" or "ED" lenses. They all can resolve far more than the tiny XL sensor anyway.
The main difference is that the Nikon-XL adaptor has no glass and the Canon-EOS-XL adaptor has an extra chunk of glass that may cause slight softening of the image, although I doubt that it makes that much difference to the results on screen.

I'd certainly advise you to go the secondhand lens route, as fantastic bargains can be had now for lenses that cost many thousands of £$ not so long ago. It doesn’t have to be EOS or MF Nikkor either, as the old Canon FD "L" ED lenses were superb. Lenses such as the Canon FD 800mm f/5.6 would match the build and sharpness of any modern AF EOS built today.

The main reason why I stick to Nikon lenses is because I use Nikkors on my pro Nikon bodies, so being able to continue using the same lenses when I switch between the F5 SLR body and an XL2 DV body is perfect for my work schedule.