DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Extending the stereo mic fo boom (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/88821-extending-stereo-mic-fo-boom.html)

Anthony Park March 13th, 2007 12:51 AM

Extending the Xl2 stereo mic to create a boom

Hi there

If I take the original Canon stereo mic off the XL2 and make up a lead of about 6 metres so as to mount on a boom, would this cause any problems for the mic sensitivity and power delivery of the mic?

Any advice would be appreciated

Kevin Randolph March 13th, 2007 01:13 AM

You'll have a power issue. The second little plug there provides power to the mic. I haven't been able to find an extension cable for that. But maybe if you're good with a soldering iron and can find the parts at Radio Shack you can make it work. I think you might be better off just buying a new mic. B&H has several stereo mics for under $150 that should be adequate.

Just my thoughts, take it or leave it...

James Watt March 13th, 2007 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Park (Post 640790)
Hi there

If I take the original Canon stereo mic off the XL2 and make up a lead of about 6 metres so as to mount on a boom, would this cause any problems for the mic sensitivity and power delivery of the mic?

Any advice would be appreciated

Anthony,
you can get extention leads from jacar. from memory you need 2.5mm and 3.5mm. I have tried it but only with a 2.5 meter or 3 meter (cant remember) extention.
I did not notice anything to do with power issues but I only tried it to see if I could do it.. I did not record anything I just listened in my headphones. You may have issues with longer cables but I dont know. you could take your camera in to jacar and try it before buying just to make sure!
hope this helps.

Anthony Park March 13th, 2007 07:17 AM

I made it!

I got all the parts and made a 6 metre cable and will test it tomorrow. Hope it works. Thanks guys.

James Watt March 13th, 2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Park (Post 640868)
I got all the parts and made a 6 metre cable and will test it tomorrow. Hope it works. Thanks guys.

Please post your results here after you have tested it.. what parts you used where you got them from etc etc... for those that may want to do the same thing...
Cheers mate!

Anthony Park March 15th, 2007 06:06 AM

Extension a success

Made the extension cable with a black sheilded 4 core cable (red, black, white, yellow and a sheild = 5 wires). I used the red and black for the 2.5mm power jack and the white, yellow and sheild for the 3.5mm stereo jack. The cable is actually 7 metres long. I used just the standard black plastic male and female jack plugs . The great thing about them is that they are hexagonal in shape and when you place a 2.5 and 3.5 plug together the distance between the centre of the jacks is the same distance apart as the xl2 socket. I taped the two plugs together with black electrical tape then wound another special tape around the two joined plugs and cable to form one plug like the one coming out of the end of the xl2 microphone(not as refined though). You could use heat shrink around this but it only has a shrink ratio of 2:1 whereas you really need 2:.5 so I used a tape called Weld Tape which is a self fusing type of tape (From Dick Smith) and had a great result. I will try and find the exact plug Canon uses to make a truly pro lead but this works fantastic in the meantime. It cost me $24 AUD all up. Not Bad

We filmed a morning breakfast show with the canon mic positioned just slightly above the middle of the hosts desk just out of camera veiw. Being a stereo mic gave a great presence with the two presenters sitting side by side.
I have always wanted to see how removing the canon mic and using it as an extension mic or on a boom would work. I have not noticed any decrease in quality or gain. Its a great accessory. Just wind it up and put it into the case. Next thing to buy will be a telescopic boom arm to complete my kit. I'm sure you could find all these parts from most electronic stores around the world and for those living in Australia I got everything from Dick Smith's.

James Watt March 16th, 2007 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Park (Post 642042)
for those living in Australia I got everything from Dick Smith's.

Good old Dick Smith... God bless him ;-)
Thats good to hear, glad it worked out for ya
I have a canon stereo zoom mic that I don't use much with the same connections as the XL2 mic.. I may make an extension up for that one! Thanks for the detailed instructions!